KR Models announce the Consett Iron Ore Wagon

KR Models

Hi - without trying to take sides or anything-  The points I would like to make are:

Maybe KR want to show some tangible evidence of a products development prior to asking for expressions/initial payments on something such as the consett wagon.  Which then hopefully cuts down on the occasions people can moan about schedules slipping.  But on the other hand, to have undertaken your research and to send a product to tooling with major inaccuracies in the chassis such as missing tanks etc., is quite poor, and will possibly make a good many people think twice before ordering (even thought you are going to correct it) on the thoughts of what else is wrong/missing. 

What I am saying is - manufacturers nowadays go to extreme lengths to ensure details are correct, and if you produce "one" substandard product your reputation will be left in tatters, and people will not have the confidence to pre-order and pay for your products up front, which is the principle of your business model.  Plus I can totally understand the deposit scheme, so people are committed and don't just say they want one, but never commit to an order!  But in this scheme - people are trusting you, hence the details need to be right and you have a huge responsibility to deliver for those who are backing the company.  Likewise there was the "confusion" relating to the Nuclear Flask wagon.  Personally, I would be looking into my research techniques to ensure any flaws are identified and corrected prior to starting tooling, when mistakes start getting expensive, or worse still - slip through the net and onto the final production model.  Whilst Canada may not be the easiest of places to be based and get all the research required - I'm sure you must have "sources" within the UK and there are plenty of people with knowledge and experiences that they will share with you on a given subject manner.

I'm not complaining, just attempting to share my concerns in a constructive manner, so hopefully KRM can move forward in producing excellently detailed products - that both yourself and your customers can be proud of.

Best Wishes,

Christopher.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

What an interesting choice of wagon, it's lovely to see more items unique to the North East in model form, albeit this one is particularly geographically restricted. They might have found a wider audience with the ex-NER wooden bodied hoppers, of which numerous examples survived not just in to BR and NCB ownership but also in to preservation.

Hornby have done a Consett 9F, 92099, but somehow I doubt that they put the correct braking equipment on it (modfications were also made to the Class 24s used later on). Aside from that, I'm not aware of any RTR models of the locomotives that pulled these trains. Perhaps a Q7 might be KRM's next project?

I think these wagons would sell in N Gauge, the line lends itself quite well to the scale.

On 22/11/2020 at 12:00, nathan70000 said:

Hornby have done a Consett 9F, 92099, but somehow I doubt that they put the correct braking equipment on it (modfications were also made to the Class 24s used later on).

Just to be pedantic, the modifications weren’t related to the brakes, they provided the relevant equipment to operate the doors of the iron ore wagons. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2020 at 20:03, Mark Saunders said:

Not yet but there is always the possibility as people keep asking about the LHZ Stonebridge Park hoppers!

I saw this picture earlier..

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p265322570/ef2e0881e

How did the electric loco get the wagons here? Did it get wired for it?

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, 45568 said:

It looks good! Did a full set ever run to the East Midlands??!

No, they were used exclusively on the Tyne Dock to Consett Iron Ore trains.

The wagon looks good so far, I assume that interior details are yet to come for those that would want an empty rake...

John

• RMweb Premium

Pump Gear available as parts to convert O1s and Spaceships. Can't be arsed to find a link.

If someone can do a Sound chip for 9Fs going flat out up that grade towards Consett, with exhaust effects from a smoke machine, that would be a winner for me.  

In fact a 'static' diorama of one of these trains would make an excellent long shelf ornament.

I found the existing kit for this wagon, quite a challenge when I attempted to build one.

Phil 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Pump Gear available as parts to convert O1s and Spaceships. Can't be arsed to find a link.

Dave Alexander did a full conversion kit including the air pumps and tanks.  Lanarkshire Models do the air pumps.  I'm planning on using a combination of both sets when I get round to doing my 9F.

Edited by johndon

On 11/11/2020 at 12:32, dogbox321 said:

Hi - without trying to take sides or anything-  The points I would like to make are:

Maybe KR want to show some tangible evidence of a products development prior to asking for expressions/initial payments on something such as the consett wagon.  Which then hopefully cuts down on the occasions people can moan about schedules slipping.  But on the other hand, to have undertaken your research and to send a product to tooling with major inaccuracies in the chassis such as missing tanks etc., is quite poor, and will possibly make a good many people think twice before ordering (even thought you are going to correct it) on the thoughts of what else is wrong/missing. 

What I am saying is - manufacturers nowadays go to extreme lengths to ensure details are correct, and if you produce "one" substandard product your reputation will be left in tatters, and people will not have the confidence to pre-order and pay for your products up front, which is the principle of your business model.  Plus I can totally understand the deposit scheme, so people are committed and don't just say they want one, but never commit to an order!  But in this scheme - people are trusting you, hence the details need to be right and you have a huge responsibility to deliver for those who are backing the company.  Likewise there was the "confusion" relating to the Nuclear Flask wagon.  Personally, I would be looking into my research techniques to ensure any flaws are identified and corrected prior to starting tooling, when mistakes start getting expensive, or worse still - slip through the net and onto the final production model.  Whilst Canada may not be the easiest of places to be based and get all the research required - I'm sure you must have "sources" within the UK and there are plenty of people with knowledge and experiences that they will share with you on a given subject manner.

I'm not complaining, just attempting to share my concerns in a constructive manner, so hopefully KRM can move forward in producing excellently detailed products - that both yourself and your customers can be proud of.

Best Wishes,

Christopher.  

These issues have been fixed.  This is why we do research.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, johndon said:

Dave Alexander did a full conversion kit including the air pumps and tanks.  Lanarkshire Models do the air pumps.  I'm planning on using a combination of both sets when I get round to doing my 9F.

To date, I've converted eight 9Fs and a single 01 using Dave's conversion kits. 

In my humble opinion, they do look good but the pumps are a bit overscale.

I am told, with some authority, the the Lanarkshire pumps are to scale.

The author has no connection with either outlet and other pumps may be available. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would like to see how a rake of these copes on curves the couplings don’t look long enough and there could be buffer locking!  I am sure that’s an easy fix for KR models following I am sure almost destructive testing of the sample to make sure all is correct. We seem to have got to engineering sample from announcement very quickly which is good to see too.

38 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I would like to see how a rake of these copes on curves the couplings don’t look long enough and there could be buffer locking!  I am sure that’s an easy fix for KR models following I am sure almost destructive testing of the sample to make sure all is correct. We seem to have got to engineering sample from announcement very quickly which is good to see too.

Oh! Dear. You're correct, those couplings do look short and the hopper is quite close coupled to the loco in the video. Could be a problem.

Also, considering Johndon's comment about wheels, the buffer height will be a bit low if the correct diameter wheels are fitted. They already look lower than the loco buffers. 

I'm sure KRM have the buffer height correct but have they taken into consideration the wheel diameter? A 1.5mm drop in ride height could be quite significant.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Oh! Dear. You're correct, those couplings do look short and the hopper is quite close coupled to the loco in the video. Could be a problem.

Also, considering Johndon's comment about wheels, the buffer height will be a bit low if the correct diameter wheels are fitted. They already look lower than the loco buffers. 

I'm sure KRM have the buffer height correct but have they taken into consideration the wheel diameter? A 1.5mm drop in ride height could be quite significant.

I would think they would be easy fixes hopefully not needing tooling changes.

• Agree 1

On 14/12/2020 at 10:00, johndon said:

One comment from looking at the photo, the wheels, as fitted, appear to be 12/13mm disc wheels, they should be Lowmac style 10mm wheels...

John

The wheels is one of the fixes. Not much of a reduction to get it to scale.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1