Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Just as the Italianate style forced on him by Palmerston was reviled by the Gothicist Scott himself. 

As for those Roman hooligans who destroyed the fourth-century Basilica of St Peter to make way for a carbuncle in a style as hideous as that of any modernist...

If you destroy something, you at least ought to leave something better in it's place. That does not happen as often as we'd wish!

We have a problem, Euston

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I could write pages, Edwardian - but I won't as I'm busy being an one of the species in question and must get on with my work! I have to say, though, that much of what you say is spot on. The brave new world that looked so wonderful in the post-Luftwaffe drawings, showing the broad plazas with shoppers and traffic segregated, so quickly became the frightening underpasses and excrement smeared lifts of reality. Fortunately Canterbury was largely spared - thanks mainly to an Architect called Anthony Swaine, who does not get the recognition he deserves- he kicked the incendiaries from the cathedral roof and campaigned so vigorously to List so many buildings.

We do, indeed have a problem- and, locally, the issue seems to be that something will be pulled down (Dover's Leisure Centre for example, conveniently located in the town and replaced with one out of town that you've got to drive to) - and replaced with a magnificent "nothing".

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

When I wanted to become an Architect in the early 1980's I got the impression that if I didn't love modernist concrete buildings then I shouldn't bother trying to get an Architectural degree. I currently work in a building built in1880 almost directly opposite the railway station in Redruth in Cornwall. Sadly it is very neglected and we are likely going to move out to potentially a modern building. Although there is the possibility of going to Lower Lemon Street in Truro (allegedly built for the landed gentry's mistresses).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

55 minutes ago, Dave John said:

From the modellers point of view there is a certain stylishness to having the architecture viewed through the model railway room window match the architecture on the layout..... 

1068140376_window1.JPG.37bd44b70b5a5f59ba51387048127965.JPG

Ha, well it won't be Norfolk you see when you step outside castle Aching's shed!

What a splendid scene. Please feel free to post as many pictures of your model railway as you like!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Please feel free to post as many pictures of your model railway as you like!

There’s rather a lot in his blog:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Back in the post-war decades, architects at least believed they were designing a better future, albeit that out-of-touch arrogance left them isolated in not so much an ivory tower, but a brutalist concrete one. For them the Luftwaffe had been a gift, an opportunity and a mere start; they would wreak much, much more destruction upon the fabric of our towns and cities. However, generally only architects, planners and corrupt local politicians and construction companies ever thought the Modernist re-imagining of British towns was an improving step towards utopia.  The citizenry, on the whole, never bought in and went from an, at best, indifferent start to an outright contempt for the ugly weather-stained progeny of post-war architectural hubris. 

I have the impression that many European cities, which had been comprehensively demolished by either the Red Army or the RAF, made an effort to reconstruct their city centre as it had been before the war - ignoring the opportunity to start with a blank sheet.  It might be an interesting exercise to compare the approach that various cities adopted and whether they are happy with the result. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I have the impression that many European cities, which had been comprehensively demolished by either the Red Army or the RAF, made an effort to reconstruct their city centre as it had been before the war - ignoring the opportunity to start with a blank sheet.  It might be an interesting exercise to compare the approach that various cities adopted and whether they are happy with the result. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

I can confirm that Mannheim city centre was indeed rebuilt to its former plan and building style; while across the Rhine, Ludwigshafen was rebuilt as concrete city.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Show and tell time!

Got some 3D prints of some models I made using photogrammetry back from this bloke with a ridiculously expensive 3D colour printer. Made this model with just a point and shoot camera and a  laptop, nothing else -  what a wonderful world we live in, all sciency.

PXL_20220528_003854638.jpg.b7f42ce7a7ae6c0d2035ec6de402cf01.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

What enormous coinage you must have in Australia.

I was going to use one of those giant novelty cheques but all the hip young folk on this thread would have no idea what it was.

image.png.d229e1c0da3575fd3daa687e98727629.png

• Like 1

Talking of Ardal O’Hanlon, there is a cracking documentary about the place of archaeology in ‘nation defining’ in Ireland in the 1930s fronted by him, on iPlayer, well worth an hour of time. I was aware of the story on the Eire side of the border, but not in The North. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Show and tell time!

Got some 3D prints of some models I made using photogrammetry back from this bloke with a ridiculously expensive 3D colour printer. Made this model with just a point and shoot camera and a  laptop, nothing else -  what a wonderful world we live in, all sciency.

PXL_20220528_003854638.jpg.b7f42ce7a7ae6c0d2035ec6de402cf01.jpg

A milk or white chocolate coin?

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

A milk or white chocolate coin?

Tis an Aussie dollar, speaking of which I was reading you will be able to go to ye Olde village shop and buy an ounce of carrots and a pound of flesh once more.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Tis an Aussie dollar, speaking of which I was reading you will be able to go to ye Olde village shop and buy an ounce of carrots and a pound of flesh once more.

It shows how far we have fallen as a nation: the usual act of a failing dictator (and let’s face it, BJ does act like one, with complete disdain for anything other than his own selfishness) is to find something populist to divert attention away from scrutiny.

Putin: tries to annex Ukraine.

The Argentinian Junta: invade the Falkland Islands.

BJ: creates rumours of abandoning a worldwide standard of measurements.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Next time Bodge gets caught out doing something dodgy, he'll probably suggest going back to £ s d. 

I expect we'll be back to groats and hides of land by 2025.

If I sound a bit grumpy today, it's because I've just found out I model in a scale of 0.1378 inches to the foot.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This coming winter we’ll be measuring the intensity of lamps in Candlepower again, because carrying one from room to room will be the only affordable way to light our homes.

I’m feeling grumpy today because, quite honestly, anybody who isn’t grumpy at the moment is living in a bubble of their own making.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2