Has anyone used RC control for 2mm finescale

1965Nick

I converted some N-scale stuff a few years ago just before I moved to OO scale. The DMU was fine as the receiver and battery was in the trailer coach. The Class 08 shunter had no room in the loco so it had the equipment in a coupled van. Finding room for the battery is the problem but you could use track pickup at the cost of some extra circuitry. In which case you might as well just use DCC as you will get none of the advantages of using a battery.

Deltang have small receivers which I believe are not subject to their receiver chip availability problem. The Rx-45 works at up to 6V and 500mA. dimensions 9mm x 9.6mm x 2.1mm

19 hours ago, 1965Nick said:

Hi,

has anyone out there had any experience of using RC in 2mm finescale? The size of receiver chips and motors/batteries make it look feasible. I’m working on a BR class 04 diesel shunted from a NS etch, the cane seems roomy enough.

I'm not aware of anyone doing it (I have built a RC double decker bus in 2mm).    There are a number of N gauge models which are shown in R/C, including quite small things (such as the old Minitrix Dock Tank).  

The problem will be battery space once you've put a motor and gears inside the mechanism.  Then weight and balance of weight (don't want all the weight at one end of a loco).   Motors won't be an issue, if anything running the small can and coreless motors typically used in 2mm on circa 4v (single LiPo cell) may be better than the nominal 12v-14v of DCC.   

If you can make it work, it will solve all the pickup and track cleaning issues around small locos :-)    I think its easier if you are building your own mechanisms, because you can move other parts around to create the space needed for battery and radio receiver module.   You can include switches to turn it off, and charging connections.   

- Nigel

I know it's not the same thing, but quite a few people are converting 009 to RC successfully - the latest being Tim Watson of Copenhagen Fields, having scratch-built a new RC chassis to go under a Lynton & Barnstaple 2-6-2

• RMweb Premium

There was an article in the April/May 2020 2mm scale association magazine on fitting R/C into a Jinty. Used MRC/Deltang parts along with a small 6x12mm 6v Nigel Lawton motor. Not sure how it would work with the narrow body of an 04 though, width for the battery was apparently one issue to overcome.

Izzy

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have plans to make a new radio controlled chassis for our GNR J13 (LNER J52) on CF as there is a lot of room in the tanks etc. There is also quite a strong probability of making a GNR rail motor in the same way. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...