Liscombe - 7mm GWR station - small shunting layout

PMP99

• RMweb Premium

Dusk falls on Liscombe!

When work resumes in the autumn, there is platform lighting, ground cover, static grass effects, hedging along the station road end of the layout, and better larger scale low relief buildings to consider.

Graham

FD761204-C008-46EB-9532-69D183F5CF0B.jpeg

ABA8EF38-0ED7-47CE-B29F-2F725992F0ED.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew Young said:

Nice work on the station Graham. The lighting in particular helping to bring it to life. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, the lights do make the interior a bit more visible which makes the work that went into it a bit more worthwhile.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The original wall along the back of the layout, which was made using brick paper, has been replaced.

A new one is under construction which still requires the coping stones added.

The embossed styrene sheet gives a better ‘three dimensional’ effect and will be coloured to match the bridge.

571E7A9A-10A2-4FBD-9E8B-59BD967D6B9F.jpeg

2EC5B6C6-9255-4534-B690-CC5D2A75BEDE.jpeg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There has been little progress as I decided to do a major rebuild of the fiddle yard on my 4mm layout which is ongoing.

However I have been experimenting with the low relief buildings behind the wall.

As shown in earlier pictures  I had printed off some downloadable low relief buildings to try the effect which were to 4mm scale.

Taking one of those as an example I scaled it up to both 5.5mm and 7mm to the foot and scratch built a couple of buildings.

The larger one to the right was the 7mm one which I then reduced in height as it seemed over bearing, and made it as a ‘factory’.

I think I will standardise on 5.5mm scale for further ones.

A09F7D57-E806-4517-8B3C-8010D238D7DC.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A small development is the addition of a couple of telephone kiosks. The remainder of that edge of the layout will be tall hedgerow in due course.

4BAC1AC0-B272-4055-A7F4-E7F128A32341.jpeg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

First post for a while as much of the winter project was making new low-relief buildings for the back of the layout.

In a further change I scrapped the couple of scratchbuilt attempts I had made.

Instead the replacements are mostly modified ‘Petite Properties’ items, the exceptions being the scratch built factory at the left hand end and the ‘Skytrex’ factory at the right hand end.

IMG_3759.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Andrew Young said:

@PMP99 the buildings look great and sit well along the back. I’ve built a few Petite Properties buildings now. Have found them enjoyable to build and speeds the build up a bit. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Yes, I think it was on your thread I first saw them. Even being low relief I still had to reduce the depth of them by about 50% and couldn’t make full use of extra fittings like porches, in my limited space.

They certainly give a good starting point though.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of similar pictures with the internal lights on.
Each property has an LED mounted on the inside front wall to illuminate the interior back walls which have printed room interiors stuck on them.

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3760.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, 7mmin7foot said:

Your building lighting is very effective and adds to the scenery 👍

Steve

Thanks, having lit the main buildings - station, goods shed, signal box etc. I didn’t just want a row of dark building shells along the backscene.

• Like 1