EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

13 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Surprised to see the Beattie and Gate stock - presuem Kernow are licensing the tooling to Bachmann/EFE as when first produced, Kernow were very clear this was KMRC owned tooling

13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Kernow MRC own the tooling.

And yet, according to @Graham_Muz

The ex LSWR Gate Stock also makes an appearance having undergone some tooling amendments to the chassis details, interior and roof vents.

So it's not the same as the previous release (set number aside), but it's unclear (to me, at least) although we know what's changed, we don't know how, and why.

4 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I just wonder if these people gather in the supermarket to rant about the price of groceries.

Bernard  

That’s because supermarkets offer such good value. Look below the £2.00 and do the sums. If mine are right, you can “go” three times for less than a penny. How’s that for deflation?

Andrex Aloe Vera.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

BWT 30586 in BR black late crest has been a long time coming, to complete the late-crest set, but here it finally is, even if not by the expected route. 

This one was apparently not used very often on the Wenford Bridge line due to difficulties filling the tanks on this odd-one-out at the Pencarrow Woods stop - a quick scan of my books revealed it worked the branch in August 1948 (with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' lettering) and for a few consecutive days in mid-May 1962, right at the end of the Beatties' reign. Presumably it managed the trip a few times during the near-14 years in between. Usually it was Wadebridge pilot........sadly the low-mileage one went for scrap! 

7 hours ago, No Decorum said:

That’s because supermarkets offer such good value. Look below the £2.00 and do the sums. If mine are right, you can “go” three times for less than a penny. How’s that for deflation?

Andrex Aloe Vera.jpg

Is it just me that initially misread 'per 100sht' in this context?

• Funny 13

Going back to the price "increases" when an older model returns to the catalogue:

Often forgotten is the fact that the manufacturer (I use the term loosely as really they sub-contract that bit to the factory) is in business TO MAKE A PROFIT. Older toolings, where development costs are by now paid for, are thus cheaper to produce this time round, creating more profit. That is NOT a bad thing, this brings cashflow into the company to aid production of new items - and note I said cashflow. A new item needs a lot of upfront payments before the first one is produced. Also forgotten is that the manufacturer usually sells at WHOLESALE price to the retail outlets, where other costs - and profits - must be added before the selling price is defined. And that is often different to the manufacturer's rrp anyway.

The old adage of "don't buy it if the price is not for you" still applies.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, truffy said:

And yet, according to @Graham_Muz

So it's not the same as the previous release (set number aside), but it's unclear (to me, at least) although we know what's changed, we don't know how, and why.

I don't see the issue here, Kernow own the tooling, they made made some slight improvements to their tooling before a new batch was produced and supplied for the EFE range. Simples.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Also forgotten is that the manufacturer usually sells at WHOLESALE price to the retail outlets, where other costs - and profits - must be added before the selling price is defined. And that is often different to the manufacturer's rrp anyway.

And it could be Heljan for example in the case of the Hymeks and 58s are included in the costs, selling them onto EFE/Bachmann.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I don't see the issue here, Kernow own the tooling, they made made some slight improvements to their tooling before a new batch was produced and supplied for the EFE range. Simples.

But it would help to know what the improvements are. I have two of the earlier sets, I'm aware there was an issue with the positioning of some of the underframe gear on one of the coaches and also the moulding of a bench seat across a gangways. Are these now corrected, as I might be interested in the crimson set.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Andrex Aloe Vera.jpg

That's a rip-off!   Mrs Stationmaster bought 2x 9 roll packs of andrex last Friday at £4 per pack.  So the cost per 'sht' was somewhat less.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's a rip-off!   Mrs Stationmaster bought 2x 9 roll packs of andrex last Friday at £4 per pack.  So the cost per 'sht' was somewhat less.

Rip off is the whole idea! It’s what the little perforations are for (when they work).

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Not really so simples, Graham. It would be helpful to know what "slight improvements" have been made and why.

ISTR that there was some discussion of shortcomings in the original release. Were the "slight improvements" made in response to that? And what "slight improvements" were made?

I didn't think it was that difficult TBH. :huh:

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I did manage to see enough here before things went down hill to salivate over the gate stock and even to positively dribble at the  the idea of a second well tank.

Bernard  

That'll be a third well tank. First was the original Dapol production, then the DJM (coreless) and now the EFE.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rembrow said:

But it would help to know what the improvements are. I have two of the earlier sets, I'm aware there was an issue with the positioning of some of the underframe gear on one of the coaches and also the moulding of a bench seat across a gangways. Are these now corrected, as I might be interested in the crimson set.

Yes the bench seat and under frame equipment positioning has been corrected and the roof vents amended to the later torpedo styles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Yes the bench seat and under frame equipment positioning has been corrected and the roof vents amended to the later torpedo styles.

Perhaps getting ahead of myself, will we see  a re-run of the later steel panelled green examples, updated to turn the 'dimples' into proper 'proud rivets.............?

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Perhaps getting ahead of myself, will we see  a re-run of the later steel panelled green examples, updated to turn the 'dimples' into proper 'proud rivets.............?

Rob. 

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Tongue in cheek here. AnotherO2 run to propel them perhaps but as with the J94 remotored ?

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Patience Ian, patience...they can't re-run everything at once.

As I’m sure you can guess... 

... I can’t possibly say...

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Patience Ian, patience...they can't re-run everything at once.

Indeed so. As I have posted before, I recall a Ford Motor Company exec being questioned about a newly-released model, for which the super-dooper-sporty version was announced but not yet available. He simply said "We don't want to let all our fireworks off at once!" Sums up our hobby's RTR manufacturers - release 14 versions at once and watch some sit on the dealer's shelf for ages before being discounted. Or release 2 or 3 at a time and watch them get lapped up. The Kernow-Bachmann (EFE) relationship is new and exciting. My money says it will grow and expand as time goes by. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

Does anyone (Graham) know if the new Gate Stock will still have 24.5 mm axles as per the earlier Kernow sets. I have an outstanding order for Gibson Maunsell wheels and wounding if I need to increase the order to cover the set I have just ordered. 

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2020 at 17:25, davebem said:

Yes same here, I hope they do the earlier white PBA version for us era8 modellers!  I dont think the tooling is any different?

Totally different wagon. A degree of commonality, but absolutely not the same.

JIA:

45612604805_8bd26bc0a3_b.jpg

PBA: 

043-M13-REM159-Clay-Tiger-6.jpg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed so. As I have posted before, I recall a Ford Motor Company exec being questioned about a newly-released model, for which the super-dooper-sporty version was announced but not yet available. He simply said "We don't want to let all our fireworks off at once!" Sums up our hobby's RTR manufacturers - release 14 versions at once and watch some sit on the dealer's shelf for ages before being discounted. Or release 2 or 3 at a time and watch them get lapped up. The Kernow-Bachmann (EFE) relationship is new and exciting. My money says it will grow and expand as time goes by. 

For further studies of the H.M,Bateman cartoon  ‘The  Man Who Asked For Another O2 “ please tune in to this space......:jester:....

On 03/11/2020 at 08:47, AY Mod said:

E85010 OO LSWR Beattie Well Tank with Square Splashers 30586 BR Black (L-Crest) 139.95
E85011 OO LSWR Beattie Well Tank 3298 SR Black (Sunshine) 139.95
E85012 OO LSWR Beattie Well Tank 3298 SR Green (Preserved) 139.95

E85012.jpg

E86001 OO LSWR 'Gate Stock' 2-Coach Set BR Crimson 139.95
E86002 OO LSWR 'Gate Stock' 2-Coach Set SR Maunsell Green 139.95

E86002.jpg

Before you all groan or put me in the stocks, this isn't a complaint or direct 'wishlist request' (as much as I would personally like to see it happen) but I would like to enquire about the feasibility of releasing these two models in their original (1894 rebuilt for the Well Tank) LSWR condition? There are quite a few models out there already like the T9, M7, Hornby brake van, not to mention forthcoming genesis coaches in LSWR guises so one would assume it's quite a popular avenue to pursue? Maybe there is some reason I don't know about such as different tooling requirements to explain why this hasn't been done yet but more LSWR models would really put a smile on mine and many others faces I'm sure. :)  

On 03/11/2020 at 08:47, AY Mod said:

• Like 1