Locomotion Models announce 'Hardwicke' Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Wish I could see the pictures properly, but there's a sodding great video of some irrelevant crap blocking most of my screen, still!

Well close it. I'm sure if you've managed to post you could see the images. So give the hyperbole and swearing a rest until we can give you a paid-for ad-free solution.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On diesels I have used small dabs of low viscosity superglue and applied the nameplates with tweezers starting at one end to keep the alignment true.  

This is is a bingo or b******* method though so I wouldn’t recommend it for Hardwicke.  The printing is so good that I am planning to leave the etched nameplates and numbers in the bag.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Isambard Smith said:

I presume the metal name and number plates are supposed to be applied over the painted on ones...any advice on how to attach them with least chance of damaging it?

You'll probably get quite a few answers as most will have their preferences. Personally I use superglue.

But have a look here. I know it's a diesel, but the technique is the same for almost any type of adhesive.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/wor/techniques/other//detailing-the-Dapol-western

Jason

2 hours ago, Isambard Smith said:

I presume the metal name and number plates are supposed to be applied over the painted on ones...any advice on how to attach them with least chance of damaging it?

On my kit built LNWR locos I use G S Hypo Cement. It doesn't attack paint any paint I have used and any excess can be removed with cigarette lighter fluid with a small brush.

It can also be softened and removed in the same way. The same applies to good double sided tape,

Sometimes you get unlucky.

Sometimes you pay a feckton of money, wait patiently for months, then......

20211214_215330.jpg.4bc16d48c935d86cf4323d46b6f387c7.jpg

This is my long-awaited Hardwicke once carefully unpacked. 

There is a warning label on the clear plastic sleeve saying that the locomotive and tender are linked, so should be lifted together from the cradle. They in fact came as you see them, unconnected.

The dome, cab and buffer I could fix, but I do not see how I could re-attach the broken front guard iron and the missing safety valves are nowhere to be seen.

I shall have to contact Locomotion first thing and hope they have some spares.

• Friendly/supportive 11

40 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Sometimes you get unlucky.

Sometimes you pay a feckton of money, wait patiently for months, then......

20211214_215330.jpg.4bc16d48c935d86cf4323d46b6f387c7.jpg

This is my long-awaited Hardwicke once carefully unpacked. 

There is a warning label on the clear plastic sleeve saying that the locomotive and tender are linked, so should be lifted together from the cradle. They in fact came as you see them, unconnected.

The dome, cab and buffer I could fix, but I do not see how I could re-attach the broken front guard iron and the missing safety valves are nowhere to be seen.

I shall have to contact Locomotion first thing and hope they have some spares.

Good Evening, I am sorry to see this has happened and we will replace it, could I ask if the outer box was damaged in any way along the the box the locomotive was in? 

I am interested to see if this was caused by courier? 

We can organise collection of the damaged one and reship and replacement but will of course check it before shipping. 

Thanks 

Tom

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

There appears to be a common observation from 'latest delivered' models.

1. The liveries and detailing are better than ever - superb-looking models - almost this 'museum standard' people are talking about.
  2. The packaging of several is extremely poor - inner box inside a larger outer box with no extra cushioning padding - rattling inside which encourages the breakages being observed.

Al.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 minutes ago, Tom Mackie SMG said:

Good Evening, I am sorry to see this has happened and we will replace it, could I ask if the outer box was damaged in any way along the the box the locomotive was in? 

I am interested to see if this was caused by courier? 

We can organise collection of the damaged one and reship and replacement but will of course check it before shipping. 

Thanks 

Tom

Thanks Tom,

My first thought was that someone must have been playing football with it.  

However, there is no damage to the outer box.  The inner box was pristine in its tissue paper wrapper.

Thus, there was nothing to prepare me for the damage inside. My assessment would be that, as a substantially metal loco, the conventional clear-plastic clam packaging has on this occasion been unequal to the task of restraining such a heavy loco from throwing its weight around. Even the limited movement permitted by a correctly fitted clam has permitted sufficient movement to tear off the plastic components on top of the metal boiler and to cause the delicate guard iron to snap. The tender, feather-light in comparison, seems to have suffered no damage within its end of the clam.

• Agree 1

Your damage looked very similar to the one mine suffered. I did notice a slight scuff on one corner of the cardboard outer and the loco did seem a little loose in the plastic bit. The most impressive break on mine was the very rear of the metal chassis where the footsteps are attached to - snapped off. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, PeterH said:

Your damage looked very similar to the one mine suffered. I did notice a slight scuff on one corner of the cardboard outer and the loco did seem a little loose in the plastic bit. The most impressive break on mine was the very rear of the metal chassis where the footsteps are attached to - snapped off. 

Mine only had to travel 20 minutes by road from Shildon!*

* though, of course, that might have been via a courier's depot in, say, Edinburgh, for all I know!

10 hours ago, atom3624 said:

There appears to be a common observation from 'latest delivered' models.

1. The liveries and detailing are better than ever - superb-looking models - almost this 'museum standard' people are talking about.
  2. The packaging of several is extremely poor - inner box inside a larger outer box with no extra cushioning padding - rattling inside which encourages the breakages being observed.

Al.

It could well be that the final leg of the journey involved small box moving around inside large box - large box not damaged - that caused the 'travel' necessary inside the clam to knock all the bits off.