Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I found that the connector pins are quite a tight fit so opted to keep one side free.

The legs began at 1200mm and are kept from going into Bambi mode by the location at the top and the cupboards beneath that started off as flat pack items. 

I've cut 200mm off the legs as it makes it easier to work on the boards (it was okay until one board grew from 600mm wide to 750mm) and doesn't overpower the room so much. 

I'll be setting about the MK2 version of the backscene asap.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just kidding 😆 I use a black wash on my brick and stone mortar and it shows up quite well

as far as blending it into the base, all I can think is to mark around the building and cut a rebate for it to sit in?….unless I’ve misunderstood what you’re asking, in which case “I’ll get my coat”

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Check out Laser Creation or Night Shift modeller on YouTube for some excellent ideas

OK there military modeling sites but the methods work in all scales, are your buildings going to be removable like KNP at Little Muddle?

Edited by John Besley
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Provided you don't want to move the building again, I run a fine bead of slightly dilute PVA through a syringe or fine glue applicator https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product-category/tools/ around the base then scatter flock which matches the ground cover on top. Brush or hoover off when dry. 

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

IMG_20201230_030307.jpg.8a09396bde6d77278fcc4156771ff737.jpg

Definitely a trick of the light / trick of the shight photography.

I'll try a little paint around the base though.

definitely a trick of the light judging by the above photo, it looks perfect there

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t have photos to hand but for my recent cottage which I want to be able to remove I made a thin layer of DAS clay roughly where the building is to sit and while wet pushed the building into it to create an accurate impression , then immediately removed the building to allow it to set. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Anyone know a neat way to do it?

Wrap the building in cling-film, and place it in position, then do as Jonathan says and run a bead of PVA round the building and add ground cover, then when dry you can remove the cling-film and fit the building back inside the raised bit that you've created.

ladmanlow402.jpg.c4fd478b91bf067dbd185cfac63709b6.jpg

ladmanlow410.jpg.46797425d1ff1f2e098bebec03e5762f.jpg

Al.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Provided you don't want to move the building again, I run a fine bead of slightly dilute PVA through a syringe or fine glue applicator https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product-category/tools/ around the base then scatter flock which matches the ground cover on top. Brush or hoover off when dry. 

Another useful tool is the LFT sample dropper tubes, once you've done your test clean out the squeeze tube and use that as a diluted PVA applicator

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Thanks for your input everyone. It's probably difficult to see on this picture, which was the beginning of the signal ox area, but all of the structures including the cattle dock have been let into the surface covering, I do think that a little more muck and weeds is called for to blend things in.

IMG_20220203_233227.jpg.c12c1e5641189a6536f785a1bd966877.jpg

I'm not too concerned about the wooden buildings such as the station, because that would have been raised up slightly to stop the bottom of the framing rotting out.

IMG_20220205_155911.jpg.77df357dec100aed364938185b47ff07.jpg

Those three sat okay, The signal box isn't fixed down because it's going to have a dim light inside.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Those three sat okay, The signal box isn't fixed down because it's going to have a dim light inside.

Are you suggesting that lights are not very intelligent? That's not very PC. 😀

• Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Benbow said:

Are you suggesting that lights are not very intelligent? That's not very PC. 😀

I can be a lot more non PC than that.

But in order to appease those who would go and blub to teacher, I'll rephrase it.

I'm going to employ some lightbulbs with learning difficulties, not because we consider their feelings, but because we feel that we must over compensate in the name of box ticking inclusivity and wildly skew rather than level the playing field....

Just in case anyone is troubled further by that statement, I'd like to point out that comes from the cynicism born of mental health and social development issues, Complex PTSD and an impressive score on the Asperger's scale.

On rainy Sunday afternoons, Miss R and I often play it like Top Trump's or Snap!

I thank you 😜

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Having spent the last part of my working life in education I often wondered how those of us over a certain age survived our education in the 50s/60s without all the syndromes that seem to be about these days. 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The attitude I got from the medical profession as a young child in the late 70s was "He'll grow out of it"

The attitude I got from teachers was "Way above average intelligence, but easily distracted and can be lazy. Doesn't seem to join in, tends to over react. Can be disruptive. Doesn't make the effort to join in with others".

I did, but if you're even the slightest bit of a misfit, in your actions, opinions or interests, you simply get sidelined. 

That's something that has actually got worse.

• Friendly/supportive 6

18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The attitude I got from the medical profession as a young child in the late 70s was "He'll grow out of it"

The attitude I got from teachers was "Way above average intelligence, but easily distracted and can be lazy. Doesn't seem to join in, tends to over react. Can be disruptive. Doesn't make the effort to join in with others".

I did, but if you're even the slightest bit of a misfit, in your actions, opinions or interests, you simply get sidelined. 

That's something that has actually got worse.

Not much changed then.

In actual fact some of those could be seen as positive tracts in some professions.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Round of applause 1

Indeed.

But if I told you.... 😄

A lot of the research and empirical evidence into how valuable to society as a whole the oddballs, misfits and often misunderstood people are has been hushed up. 

Now children are labelled as AD or autistic and it's seen as a disability or negative behavioural trait. Lumped in with them are the refusers who realise they can pretty much get away with murder and children whose parents are simply incapable of bringing up their offspring. Muddy waters indeed

It's part of the reason both of us decided that teaching wasn't for us, despite being pushed into it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2