Ellis Clark Trains Finescale O Gauge Presflo Wagons

Ellis Clark Trains

5 minutes ago, Chris-ECT said:

We have Neil who is our full time weatherer and repairer and this week he has been working though the huge list of customers pre-ordered presflo models. There are three stages of dirt Light, Medium and Heavy and on all three is a mix of Airbrush and powder work and all taken of prototype pictures. The price is an extra £25 per wagon, 

What do you think? 

FB_IMG_1652628535989.jpg

FB_IMG_1652628548076.jpg

FB_IMG_1652628550735.jpg

FB_IMG_1652628554915.jpg

FB_IMG_1652628557199.jpg

Looks excellent Chris. I would have been tempted if I hadn't had bought un-numbered ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree, these are stunning, and compared to the latest Dapol guards van, very good value.  Beautiful packaging Ellis. Took me back to the old Hatton’s parcel and string days!!!

Getting into TSW2 steam with the 8F and Jubilee, I am now really looking forward to your Stanier Black 5!

Neal

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Nick G said:

They look very nice. What is the estimated delivery time from ordering a weathered version please?

The currently delivery time for a weathered version is around 4-6 weeks though Neil is really picking the pace up now and getting though them so it may be sooner 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chris-ECT said:

The currently delivery time for a weathered version is around 4-6 weeks though Neil is really picking the pace up now and getting though them so it may be sooner 

Thank you, my first one shouldn't be to long now then.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be great if Oxford or EFE etc made one of the lorries used for discharging/loading these wagons, in 7mm of course. The wagons themselves are great vehicles, and the only (mild) criticism is that the links on the 3 links provided are slightly short, which could leave them bufferlocking on Peco 40" curves and short points, or has someone not found this to be an issue?

8 hours ago, paulbb said:

It would be great if Oxford or EFE etc made one of the lorries used for discharging/loading these wagons, in 7mm of course. The wagons themselves are great vehicles, and the only (mild) criticism is that the links on the 3 links provided are slightly short, which could leave them bufferlocking on Peco 40" curves and short points, or has someone not found this to be an issue?

Agree re the road tanker, the only issue is Corgi trucks are 1.50 rather than 1:43.5 There is the ASAM kit of both the Scammell and Leyland tankers but again are 1.48, my plan is to build one of those and put it near the back of the layout. IXO trucks are 1;43.5 and are lovely models and they have done a couple of UK prototypes so there is hope.

I have yet to try the wagons on the layout but thought the same re the couplings, I am setting it up on Thursday for a test run ahead of an upcoming show and will test them then.

On 11/07/2022 at 20:42, paulbb said:

I test ran mine tonight and had no issues with couplings bufferlocking, although I don't have any reverse curves. They are hard to couple up but certainly not impossible 

20220714_202510.jpg

20220714_200726.jpg

20220714_202248.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2022 at 18:20, Chris-ECT said:

If Jenny's, Sam's and Hornby Mags reviews aren't enough to convince you our Presflos are top quality the guys over at MIOG have just published their review, head over and have a read for yourself

https://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/ellis-clark-presflow.html

Good morning Chris, is there any intention to produce the Delafila Slate Powder livery variation in future, the ones that ran out of Delabole on the North Cornwall line?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

is there any intention to produce the Delafila Slate Powder livery variation

I'd been mulling over repainting into these with custom transfers which I hoped would be an easy design given the main wording seems to be the same font but I think I read on Paul Bartlett's site, they were a twin hopper variant (which is admittedly more evident below the solebars so could probably live with that).

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'd been mulling over repainting into these with custom transfers which I hoped would be an easy design given the main wording seems to be the same font but I think I read on Paul Bartlett's site, they were a twin hopper variant (which is admittedly more evident below the solebars so could probably live with that).

They also had dual controls and other details. 

Built for ICI salt, which is why they were in ICI blue. 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/presfloslate/eecc19ef

The pair of lighter patches on the top line of this are where the ICI logos were originally https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/presfloslate/e2aa7721e

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

They also had dual controls and other details. 

Built for ICI salt, which is why they were in ICI blue. 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/presfloslate/eecc19ef

The pair of lighter patches on the top line of this are where the ICI logos were originally https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/presfloslate/e2aa7721e

Paul

Morning Paul,

In terms of livery and lettering, I was thinking of the earlier incarnation which was done by Kernow/Bachmann.

Bachmann-38-260Y-Presflo-Wagons-x-3-BR-Bauxite.jpg.196ab22e264a78a14226028b4bba9533.jpg

It's the sort of transfer job that would send you potty!

• Like 1

On 17/07/2022 at 10:51, 2ManySpams said:

Morning Paul,

In terms of livery and lettering, I was thinking of the earlier incarnation which was done by Kernow/Bachmann.

Bachmann-38-260Y-Presflo-Wagons-x-3-BR-Bauxite.jpg.196ab22e264a78a14226028b4bba9533.jpg

OK, I've only seen the photo they worked from. I think that it was a conventional Presflo - single hopper - but I never saw one.  The Lot files at the HMRS Study Center may have details of which were in this traffic initially. 

Paul

Paul

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 17/07/2022 at 10:51, 2ManySpams said:

Tell me about it, did a couple of twin hoppers some years ago.

image.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Tell me about it, did a couple of twin hoppers some years ago.

image.png

Shouldn't be too difficult, using my transfer sheet BL109; see Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My two have arrived and as others have stated are very nice. 

In terms of feedback, which it seems is welcomed, I wonder how others feel about the axlebox springing? Both of mine sit right down on the blocks as the springs are not quite sufficient to overcome the weight of the wagon so the springs are not really working in practice and its more akin to Parkside's floating axlebox (which I always replace with springs!).

From various threads on here spring tension is a bit of a subjective area but I get the impression the consensus is the optimum is a bit stiffer than this and, for example, a Peco mineral is far harder to press down in comparison.   

35 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

My two have arrived and as others have stated are very nice. 

In terms of feedback, which it seems is welcomed, I wonder how others feel about the axlebox springing? Both of mine sit right down on the blocks as the springs are not quite sufficient to overcome the weight of the wagon so the springs are not really working in practice and its more akin to Parkside's floating axlebox (which I always replace with springs!).

From various threads on here spring tension is a bit of a subjective area but I get the impression the consensus is the optimum is a bit stiffer than this and, for example, a Peco mineral is far harder to press down in comparison.   

I find mine run OK, I have had to free a couple up that had stuck but that was due to paint from the weathering process.