Ellis Clark Trains Finescale O Gauge Wickhams

Ellis Clark Trains

Good afternoon all,

May I present our next 7mm Finescale O Gauge project, Type 27 Wickham Trolleys and Trailers!

Here's all the info you'll want to know:

We are producing the Type 27 Wickham Trolley which will come accompanied with a matching trailer. Trailers are also available separately should you wish to add more.

Specifications
Super detailed body and interior, including dials, handbrake and etched grills
Die-cast chassis giving excellent weight for traction
Super-detailed finescale wheels
Directional lighting
DCC Ready as standard
Capable of running on Peco 2nd Radius curves

RRP: £159.95 - Wickham Trolley & Trailer, additional trailers at £34.95 each

Release Date: Q1 2022

Pre-order Info: As always, you can pre-order with no deposits or upfront payments, payment is taken once we have the items in stock.

I've attached a chart of the different variants, alongside some CAD renders in the four different liveries we are offering them for sale in.

What do you all think?

All feedback as always is most welcomed!

All the best,
Ellis.

407786535_PlainWickhamHeaderB.jpg.111f8073ec984db9e35cd45bd2d68bb0.jpg699156351_UntitledProject3.jpg.101c3b5a024b0dca0791b30bbfa8b353.jpg1740554553_BRGreenRear.jpg.165eb949d6dd3f5d25ddc39197177a32.jpg1684732143_BRYellow.jpg.599d674dbb0d5b5e7e0bee6622445e16.jpg708687089_EngineersRear.jpg.89fb0b20b7bf9dfb3b052e6528a1128a.jpg1028200381_ECTWickhamSkus.jpg.e65bc8a73acd943d05e89f4ce1dc2b14.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The folk who came over to the ECT Summer Exhibition will have had chance to see our first Pre-production sample of the forth coming Wichham Trolley and trailers. I have attached some images below, there are a few very small changes we will be making but overall we are very happy with the progress. 

Chris

img_046.jpg

img_047.jpg

img_048.jpg

img_049.jpg

img_050.jpg

img_051.jpg

img_052.jpg

img_053.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening,

Earlier today we went live on Facebook to update you on our Ellis Clark Trains Finescale O Gauge Wickham Trolley & Trailers.

In case you missed it, or you're not on Facebook, below is everything we updated... enjoy!

First EP Lands

Many of you have already seen these, but there's no harm in posting them again! :D

New Liveries Enter the Line-up

Having spent further hours researching and visiting Wickhams in preservation, we have decided to add some new limited edition liveries to our Wickham line-up!

These include the following:

E1020Z | Choc & Cream | Preserved at 'Didcot Railway Centre'

E1021Z | BR Maroon with White Roof 'B40W' | Preserved at 'The Somerset & Dorset Railway'

E1022Z | Black with Wasp Stripes | Preserved at Mangapps

Un-Numbered Variants

Alongside adding three new liveries, we have also created an un-numbered version of the BR Maroon, SR Green, BR Yellow & Engineer's Yellow variants. These are available for pre-order on the website by visiting the 'Shop Wickhams' page, selecting your chosen livery and choosing the 'Un-numbered' option from the drop-down menu.

You're now free to have multiple Wickhams with different running numbers scurrying around your layout!

Furthermore, each un-numbered Wickham will come supplied with a transfer sheet, including both preset, and a selection of individual numbers.

Flatbed Trailer Now Available

Another announcement for this project is the addition of a Wickham flatbed trailer.

These, finished in black with wooden planking, can be added onto any Wickham trolley or trailer by it's hook couplings, or simply put in the siding of your railway!

These trailers would often be found in the sidings and would often be used with Wickhams for transporting machinery and tools.

These can now be pre-ordered with no upfront payments!

They will be £32.95 each and can be found by clicking the blue button below.

DCC Sound Fitted Wickhams

Many were asking, and many more thought it wouldn't be possible... but we've done it!

We're now happy to announce that all our Wickhams can be purchased with DCC sound, fitted with a Zimo chip and a sugar cube speaker - which is located in the engine bay.

These are priced at £289.95 and can be pre-ordered through the website with no up-front payments!

Simply click on any Wickham Trolley listing and from the drop-down menu select 'DCC Sound'

Simplified Product Codes

I suppose this is rather boring, so I'll keep it swift!

We're changing our product codes to make them simpler, both for us and you!

Below is a new production chart for the Wickham Trolleys, Planked Trailers, and Flatbed Trailers, for your reference.

Apparently only I (Ellis) could understand our old product codes... Simple & straightforward it is!

1.jpg.4bd5dd75dd903a22f438b168111b40a2.jpg2.jpg.c1acd027adfe374ab2ea0768cc6d87bb.jpg3.jpg.2300f1b1bd17a3bc76f1e484fec92ef5.jpg4.jpg.665fe5bd53b9d59fd73dc5b5033596f7.jpg5.jpg.8aa165d9bd84e52cb0c2f8740a1a86a4.jpg6.jpg.9ded69750c615a4a9b88671f1e147698.jpg7.jpg.ae9b8342eed5261022e8a5d24cf4f12d.jpg164563459_E1019ArtSheet.jpg.c66c087fe4359c9c9bbd53254096b5f7.jpg1937690252_E1021ArtSheet.jpg.49c57a5c7222c1babd2605195ff5fa66.jpg2038196498_E1022ZArtSheet.jpg.7415d4b9df7d430faf969360ab2a928c.jpg850970078_WickhamSKUs.jpg.e9765a768bf739c3160f5270188215aa.jpg

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

575854121_BrownFaceon.thumb.jpg.d1f543ba0d480343acdba85abec80b03.jpgWe've just received our latest samples of our Finescale O Gauge Wickhams... Which are in colour!

Alongside these, we also have a number of other updates on this project outlined below...

New Prices:

I know what you're thinking, the dreaded price increase...

Well, fortunately, we have actually managed to decrease some of the prices.

In all honesty, they turned out to cost us a little less than originally planned and so we wanted to pass the saving on.

The new prices are as follows:

Wickham Trolley & Trailer (DC): £150

Wickham Trolley & Trailer (DCC Sound): £280

Wickham Planked Trailer: £30

Wickham Flatbed Trailer: £28

Release Date:

Unfortunately, we are having to put the release date back on these.

The issue is that we have a chain of complex PCBs hidden within the chassis, proving very difficult to get right.

The frustrating thing is that they're about 95% there - in fact, almost everything runs as it should.

However, this is our first self-propelled model and it quite simply has to be right.

It is, however, a mammoth task as are dealing with a model which is very light, with no room or hidden areas to put cables, PCBs or add weight, and on top of that, it only has four tiny wheels!

Having said all that, we have submitted to the electronics factory what we believe, and hope, to be the final alterations on the electrical boards.

From here they will make new and final test samples, which we will then... test!

The main delay from here will be, and as I'm sure you're bored of hearing this by now, the availability of the components.

I would say that we are now looking at having all types and liveries in stock in Q1 2023.

img_002.jpg

img_005.jpg

img_006.jpg

img_007.jpg

img_010.jpg

img_012.jpg

img_013.jpg

Brown Dials.jpg

Yellow Cropped 2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, 37114 said:

Apologies if I have missed it but does the Wickham run on its own without the trolley or is it permanently fixed to the trolley for pickup reasons etc I.e. as per the 00 Bachmann version please?

The trollies are totally independent and can run solo. The trailers are connected by a bar between and other than looking good do nothing else. 

The pickups, dcc socket and electrical boards are all up front in the Wicham itself 

• Like 2

If this project is one on your list, or you have a pre-order with us, we will be taking all of our current samples to display this weekend at Guildex (Stafford Show Ground) 

Come along and ask the team for the latest info and updates on this and our other ECT projects!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

BIG NEWS!

The first batch of our eagerly anticipated Wickhams have just come into stock and are now live on the website!

This includes the BR maroon version (Our Ref E1016) and the flatbed trailers (E3031).

The DCC Ready Wickham comes with a trailer for £150. The Flatbed Trailers are priced at £28 each.

The DCC Sound variants, alongside all other liveries, are due in stock over the coming 8 weeks!

We're just starting to work through pre-orders and we'll even be taking a few boxes up to Model Rail Scotland this weekend!

All the best,

Ellis.

img_003.JPG.eb5628efc74f3e1221e45cc9ed5ef209.JPGimg_008.JPG.1c8ba50f728ce121fd8a1168612f9aec.JPGimg_011.JPG.427914e5df500ce96c1c59c391fe2e89.JPGimg_013.JPG.8d979b6e3498c20cf6696acae594b8e7.JPGimg_019.JPG.721a99cc6b1b62729213dbfc691177d3.JPGimg_020.JPG.aa078023fb7cd2c4ada4b11a27cac2c2.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Afternoon all,

Picked one of these up from Kettering this morning - a lovely thing with crew to match.

A few notes - there were no instructions in the box. I may have been unlucky, but the guys at the Ellis Clark stand had told me how to access the decoder in the chassis.

Getting into it is a matter of removing 8 small screws. The chassis comes away from the body quite easily, however there are cables connecting the two for the lamps, with little slack.

The decoder socket is mounted on a thin flexible pcb. This makes removal of the blanking plate difficult. It would be easy to fold the pcb and damage it, so care is required.

The decoder has to fit below the pcb and socket.  There is no slack in the wiring to change this. The decoder goes into a recess in the chassis (where the fuel tank is moulded below).  There is some further space above this with a recess to the body floor, however there is very limited width for your chosen decoder.  The Zen ‘next 18’ decoder I acquired at the show was too wide, and was never going to fit.

A subsequent trip to my local store in Northampton found a Bachmann/Zimo alternative which when compared with the blanking plate appeared to have a chance of fitting (and has the benefit of a braking feature).  Looking at others available, I would suggest the Gaugemaster equivalent would also fit, but the Dapol Imperium might be marginal.  I assume Ellis Clark have designed this with their chosen (Zimo?) sound decoder in mind.

Reassembly requires care to ensure that cables run in grooves to the chassis and body floor.  The motor is clamped between chassis and body, and does come loose, allowing the axles to drop out.  Patience and a strong cup of coffee are advisable when you fit it back together.

Be very careful, whilst the chassis and body floor are metal, the superstructure, chairs/frames and roof are all plastic. Care is required when pushing them together. If the cables and motor sit correctly only a little pressure is required and the 8 screws nip things up firmly.

If adding the crew, I would suggest doing this before adding the rolled up side screens (if you choose to add these).

The white metal crew supplied by Ellis Clark are nice, weathered and ruddy looking.  As with many seated model characters they do not all match the depth and height of the seats. Adding some black-tac to their backsides allows them to sit ‘comfortably’, with adequate hold.

Tools supplied were fixed similarly to the trailer.

The crew do add a nice bit of weight.

On track, the DCC fitted model ran backwards, resolved with CV29 change.

Directional lamps are bright with a yellowish glow

As others note, it runs beautifully, with no hint of stall over trackwork, including a double slip.  It can crawl at a (scale) snails pace!

Given its size, and desire to have space for DCC and sound on board this model is a fine achievement, particularly the refined running. It is fragile however, and might come off second best in a head-on with a Heljan Deltic!

All bodes well for the Black 5 which I am told is a good bet for Stafford or Warley. The LMS liveried prototype looks magnificent.

9DAD292A-F59B-47FE-9BFC-6A0BE9E7E613.jpeg.18c7af3a3633f4cdbf7833cfca92db70.jpeg

Neal

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, neal said:

Afternoon all,

Picked one of these up from Kettering this morning - a lovely thing with crew to match.

A few notes - there were no instructions in the box. I may have been unlucky, but the guys at the Ellis Clark stand had told me how to access the decoder in the chassis.

Getting into it is a matter of removing 8 small screws. The chassis comes away from the body quite easily, however there are cables connecting the two for the lamps, with little slack.

The decoder socket is mounted on a thin flexible pcb. This makes removal of the blanking plate difficult. It would be easy to fold the pcb and damage it, so care is required.

The decoder has to fit below the pcb and socket.  There is no slack in the wiring to change this. The decoder goes into a recess in the chassis (where the fuel tank is moulded below).  There is some further space above this with a recess to the body floor, however there is very limited width for your chosen decoder.  The Zen ‘next 18’ decoder I acquired at the show was too wide, and was never going to fit.

A subsequent trip to my local store in Northampton found a Bachmann/Zimo alternative which when compared with the blanking plate appeared to have a chance of fitting (and has the benefit of a braking feature).  Looking at others available, I would suggest the Gaugemaster equivalent would also fit, but the Dapol Imperium might be marginal.  I assume Ellis Clark have designed this with their chosen (Zimo?) sound decoder in mind.

Reassembly requires care to ensure that cables run in grooves to the chassis and body floor.  The motor is clamped between chassis and body, and does come loose, allowing the axles to drop out.  Patience and a strong cup of coffee are advisable when you fit it back together.

Be very careful, whilst the chassis and body floor are metal, the superstructure, chairs/frames and roof are all plastic. Care is required when pushing them together. If the cables and motor sit correctly only a little pressure is required and the 8 screws nip things up firmly.

If adding the crew, I would suggest doing this before adding the rolled up side screens (if you choose to add these).

The white metal crew supplied by Ellis Clark are nice, weathered and ruddy looking.  As with many seated model characters they do not all match the depth and height of the seats. Adding some black-tac to their backsides allows them to sit ‘comfortably’, with adequate hold.

Tools supplied were fixed similarly to the trailer.

The crew do add a nice bit of weight.

On track, the DCC fitted model ran backwards, resolved with CV29 change.

Directional lamps are bright with a yellowish glow

As others note, it runs beautifully, with no hint of stall over trackwork, including a double slip.  It can crawl at a (scale) snails pace!

Given its size, and desire to have space for DCC and sound on board this model is a fine achievement, particularly the refined running. It is fragile however, and might come off second best in a head-on with a Heljan Deltic!

All bodes well for the Black 5 which I am told is a good bet for Stafford or Warley. The LMS liveried prototype looks magnificent.

9DAD292A-F59B-47FE-9BFC-6A0BE9E7E613.jpeg.18c7af3a3633f4cdbf7833cfca92db70.jpeg

Neal

Good evening Neal, it seams your Wickham has slipped through the net! Can you ring the office Monday and ask for me (Chris) and I will get a set of instructions in the post to you.

We are just on the road and I will get a proper reply up tomorrow if that works? 

Edited by Chris-ECT
Phone is playing up
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris-ECT said:

Good evening Neal, it seams your Wickham has slipped through the net! Can you ring the office Monday and ask for me (Chris) and I will get a set of instructions in the post to you.

We are just on the road and I will get a proper reply up tomorrow if that works? 

Mine , bought today at Kettering , is also devoid of instructions. Very nice model, that comes in a not stupidly large box.

49 minutes ago, Nile said:

Mine , bought today at Kettering , is also devoid of instructions. Very nice model, that comes in a not stupidly large box.

Good evening Nile, same as above there seems a box has sneaked through the leafleting stage! 

If you can email me at chris@ellisclarktrains.com with your address I will make sure the missing info is dispatched Monday for you 

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all

The latest batch of Wickhams are now in stock!

This includes two of the limited edition models and some of the DCC sound versions!

Here's the full list of Wickhams which are now in stock:

E1016U BR Maroon 'Unnumbered'

E1016US BR Maroon 'Unnumbered', DCC Sound

The Plain Yellow, Yellow with Wasp Stripes, Ltd. ed. Choc & Cream & SR Green models, both DCC Ready & DCC Sound, are due to be in stock in around 3 - 4 weeks' time.

E1016S BR Maroon 'B14W', DCC Sound

E1021Z BR Maroon w/White Roof, Limited Edition

E1021ZS BR Maroon w/White Roof, Limited Edition, DCC Sound

E1022Z Black w/Wasp Stripes, Limited Edition

E1022ZS Black w/Wasp Stripes, Limited Edition, DCC Sound

E3021 BR Maroon Planked Trailer

E3025 Plain Black Planked Trailer

The Plain Yellow, Yellow with Wasp Stripes, Ltd. ed. Choc & Cream & SR Green models, both DCC Ready & DCC Sound, are due to be in stock in around 3 - 4 weeks' time.

All the best,

Ellis.

1.jpg.5eed404c42b922eb12dea256278e4e68.jpg1.jpg.2b0a621491fae6e862dfe644ac8f8a7c.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago.  It really is a lovely model. I wanted to depict a War Department trolley and originally thought to order the green model. In the end I went for the black one. Here is what I did to it.

Cheers

David

20230416_182400.jpg

20230416_182314.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest batch of our Finescale O Gauge Wickhams are in!

And to answer the questions of many, yes! The yellow ones are here

The only two variants not with us are the Engineer's yellow numbered and unnumbered with DCC sound - these should be arriving in around 2-3 weeks time from now.

Choc.jpeg

Green.jpeg

yellow.jpeg

• Like 4