Class 158 - New Tool

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

Couldn't find dedicated thread for this. 

Originally announced in 2018. 

The latest edition of the Bachmann Times (Winter 2020) shows a "Preliminary CAD drawing for the all-new Class 158 DMU". 

I'm sure it will find it's way onto the web eventually, but I have to say the CAD looks excellent. Certainly light years away from the rather dubiously shaped original model! 

So, current status: CAD seen November 2020. 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

According to the spec it will have a pre-fitted speaker. They didn’t announce a sound fitted version, but since they have the files from the OO version I can’t see them not doing one. 

Tom. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

This is really good news.  After the old 170 was turned out again without lights or DCC but at a premium price I worried the same might happen with the 158.  Perhaps poor pre-sales of the 170 have encouraged them to press on with a new 158? Full marks to the manufacturer.

• RMweb Premium

For those of us that don’t have membership, is someone able to photo the CAD image from the Bachmann Times (Winter 2020) and add to this thread - thanks :good: 

No doubt it will have all the latest innovations like DCC Next18 and sound fitted, etc, etc.... frankly working head/tail lights will be a massive step forward for the Farish 158 xD !

I do wonder in which decade we will see it though.... 2030s perhaps :rofl_mini: [bit harsh?] !!!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Central trains always seems to be popular, although I’m not sure why! 

The 158 is rich pickings livery wise so I’m sure we’ll see more over time. 

A SWT 159 would go nicely with the forthcoming 450, hopefully the tooling allows for that. 

Tom. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Looking good!

Have Farish said they are retooling the centre car to enable the 159s to be offered?

Are the EMT and SWT liveries the same, apart from lettering?  If so if one is being offered the other should be straightforward.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ben A said:

Have Farish said they are retooling the centre car to enable the 159s to be offered?

Are the EMT and SWT liveries the same, apart from lettering?  If so if one is being offered the other should be straightforward.

Not yet on the 159 centre car. Hopefully they’re designing it with that in mind though. 

Sadly it’s not just a case of changing the branding from EMT to SWT, there are some subtle differences in the design of the two schemes:

86607032-C16E-4461-BAF4-265D06065278.jpeg.4d3f2e822b0a348aa9028e9b13c61efa.jpeg4C215514-DC41-405D-923D-11DAA08A36A3.jpeg.12d2fd6a5d7da250f0d9bd5443150725.jpeg

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

They are close but with noticeable differences.  I’ve attached some pictures that I’ve taken for reference.

5E8E2DAD-234A-4A34-B5DD-DC8BCA5DF466.jpeg

4F63D81E-0887-4814-B0B8-96D3AFE5D3D0.jpeg

Edited by jools1959
Grammar
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TomE said:

Central trains always seems to be popular, although I’m not sure why!

Probably due to the area they covered, Norwich to Crewe puts them over a wide area. I've even seen one heading into Portsmouth....

4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Hi Ben,

They are close but with noticeable differences.  I’ve attached some pictures that I’ve taken for reference.

5E8E2DAD-234A-4A34-B5DD-DC8BCA5DF466.jpeg

4F63D81E-0887-4814-B0B8-96D3AFE5D3D0.jpeg

EMT borrowed one or two SWT ones for a while, and SWT units were driven to and from Doncaster up the ECML for overhauls.

19 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Probably due to the area they covered, Norwich to Crewe puts them over a wide area. I've even seen one heading into Portsmouth....

EMT borrowed one or two SWT ones for a while, and SWT units were driven to and from Doncaster up the ECML for overhauls.

Central Trains used to get a bit further than Crewe = Prior to the creation of  the Wales & Borders franchise they ran through the Central Wales line and also to Aberystwyth / Pwllheli

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

The SWT 2 car sets are primarily used on the SWT “6” route from Salisbury to Salisbury via Romsey, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, Southampton, Romsey again and Salisbury, then it does the same route but in reverse.  FGW have borrowed the odd SWT 158 now and again to cover a shortage of units on the Pompy - Cardiff route.

When they head to Wabtec for overhaul, their usual route is via Bristol,  Brum, Derby, Sheffield and onto Doncaster.  Never seen a SWT 158 on the ECML except for 158862 which was hired in, then acquired by EMT.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Central Trains used to get a bit further than Crewe

When I lived in Cardiff in the early 2000s Central Trains ran a Cardiff - Nottingham route, which I used to take from time to time to visit a good friend in Nottingham (and later my brother who also moved there).... as I recollect, it was typically a cl 170, rather than a cl 158.... but Central Trains’ network was surprisingly expansive.... making journeys on their services slow and tortuous (and torturous, for that matter!)....

Regarding the SWT 158s, they also get roped into SWML services into Waterloo - seen plenty of substitution of 158s for 159s, especially during the pandemic when passenger numbers have been low - for example, an 8-coach set (159x2, plus 158x1) rather than a typical 9-coach set (159x3). I think it would be sensible for Farish to tool the centre car whilst they are at it, since there are/were 3-car 158s, not just the 159. The new SWR livery looks really good on the 159 and I’m sure would make for an attractive model.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings - the CAD looks very nice :good:

'electrical connection between the 2 cars'

That will mean we're stuck with the coupling mechanism they choose. As there are no internal buffers, I really hope BachFar are able to design it so that the corridor connections are no more than 1mm apart on the straight, similar to the Pendolino from Revolution. 

Unfortunately I have my doubts

es grüßt

pc

17 hours ago, jools1959 said:

FGW have borrowed the odd SWT 158 now and again to cover a shortage of units on the Pompy - Cardiff route

There was a long term hire in of one unit a day to FGW from SWT that spent most of its day trundling up and down between Swindon and Gloucester via Kemble. It would attach / detach from Salisbury - Bristol and return ECS moves at Westbury each day to get it into position for FGW.

Jo

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2021 at 00:49, jools1959 said:

When they head to Wabtec for overhaul, their usual route is via Bristol,  Brum, Derby, Sheffield and onto Doncaster.  Never seen a SWT 158 on the ECML except for 158862 which was hired in, then acquired by EMT.

158862 was a CT unit being green until and went into the EMT version of the livery sometime in late 2009.

So it isn't a 158, being 159018, but it is on the ECML near Newark.

159018b.JPG.0d2a202d05d3b15c216e9b65f515e8d1.JPG

And 158883 worked for EMT on loan, seen here at Heckington with a 153 for company.

158883b.JPG.dc5a0a9ce60d9ab2688595416f71a035.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored

On 13/03/2021 at 14:22, bmthtrains - David said:

That looks very impressive. A pity that the choice of liveries on launch are so minimal - RR or Scotrail. 

David 

On 13/03/2021 at 17:57, Ben A said:

Given Bachmann/Farish business model of not announcing stuff till its on the way I am fully expecting a 3 car set in a diffrent livery to join the range - complete with sound when they finally land.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 1977joey said:

I wonder if the couplings on the front ends will have NEM sockets so as you can run them in multiple with such as the 150’s ....

There really needs to be a solution that would allow for 3 car running 2+1 sets. 

The cab end of the CAD shows a Scharfenberg type coupler with a big cut out in the buffer beam to allow it to swing. A working auto coupler of this type would be a first for Farish. The old Poole Farish 158 had couplers attached to the bogie and the air dam rotated with the bogie.