Class 158 - New Tool

TomE

• RMweb Gold

The Class 319 will be the first to feature a working auto coupler:

319-3.jpg.6d9114a235b33447721796c8206ec78d.jpg.e96f721b013bf6484ddad0871f8726cb.jpg

It does appear to be a slightly different design on the 158 CAD though. 

Tom.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

The cab end of the CAD shows a Scharfenberg type coupler with a big cut out in the buffer beam to allow it to swing. A working auto coupler of this type would be a first for Farish. The old Poole Farish 158 had couplers attached to the bogie and the air dam rotated with the bogie.

Cheers for that info Mike, though I'd like to know if the actual coupler can be changed to allow it to work in multiple with other second generation units such as the 150's. If it's an NEM socket then that's great. If not then that restricts it to just working in multiple with other 158's

On the other hand, if it's not NEM, Farish could possibly make Sharfenberg couplers that are NEM a modeller could purchase seperately to convert 150's & the like to couple up to the 158. After all, that's the fun of multiple units, to be able to couple them up with others, just a thought...

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 1977joey said:

Cheers for that info Mike, though I'd like to know if the actual coupler can be changed to allow it to work in multiple with other second generation units such as the 150's. If it's an NEM socket then that's great. If not then that restricts it to just working in multiple with other 158's

On the other hand, if it's not NEM, Farish could possibly make Sharfenberg couplers that are NEM a modeller could purchase seperately to convert 150's & the like to couple up to the 158. After all, that's the fun of multiple units, to be able to couple them up with others, just a thought...

Cheers,

Mark

If it can't be connected to other multiple units of different classes, it would be a major failure given the frequency in which it happens in reality. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TomE said:

The Class 319 will be the first to feature a working auto coupler:

319-3.jpg.6d9114a235b33447721796c8206ec78d.jpg.e96f721b013bf6484ddad0871f8726cb.jpg

It does appear to be a slightly different design on the 158 CAD though. 

Tom.  

Good lord! Are those OO couplings fitted?

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, 1977joey said:

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

You probably know that Dapol already produce an NEM Scharfenberg coupler as part of 2A-000-029.  You get 6 couplers in three different lengths. Might suit for NEM fitted MUs.  It has an Dapol Digest topic.

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/accessories/easi-shunt-couplings/7922-scharfenburg-coupler-2a-000-029

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

According to the latest Bachmann Times, EP samples for the 158 have arrived at Barwell and will be on display at Alexandra Palace. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

Yep, that's effectively what their magazine said. Well, not hidden away, but in the collectors club lounge. Hopefully it will be in cabinet that can be seen from inside and outside of the stand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having seen the EP at Alexandra Palace today, all I can say is the wait for the 158 will be more than worth it. The underframe detail alone is a work of art.

Bachmann very kindly let me photograph a sample and the photos will be on ngaugenews.com on Monday morning.

Edit: Photos now up here

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Injecting some photos back into the thread, here are a couple of one of the EP samples on show at Alexandra Palace. More can be found here.

20408063_grahamfarishclass158c.jpg.69c87a68136b2e0ad99b34782190d387.jpg115097864_grahamfarishclass158d.jpg.cf9fc17a1d623241b7b165c8cc4773bc.jpg

The 158 may well be the best N Gauge UK outline RTR DMU I've seen yet, even based on these early samples.

Thanks to Bachmann for the close up look. 

Tom.   

• Like 7

You've posted the wrong images, they have to be OO surely 😆

Those do look nice, but not for me, really, these are not in my railway timeline.  Looks at the underframe details some more, nope I am not having one, it would be wrong.

Edit: Just had a look on your site, they are absolutely fantastic.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hallo,

The 158 does look impressive. How far apart are the corridor connections when coupled together? Not seen any square on photos of them.

Thanks in advance 

es grüßt 

pc

The coupler is on a close coupling mechanism so it’s pretty close on the straight, maybe only a 2mm gap at most on the samples on show at Alexandra Palace. 

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks to be a nice model. Assume the tooling will reflect the variation on the 4mm model, with different air conditioning roof vents etc appropriate to the livery / period. 

It would be great one day to see West Yorkshire PTE 158/9 crimson and buttermilk version.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

I wonder if they will offer snowplough front skirts as per the scottish fleet from the early 90s onwards?

I'd quite happily bet on it given they've done it in 4mm and the fact details such as Airton variations have been included.

Jo

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 12:49, TomE said:

Injecting some photos back into the thread, here are a couple of one of the EP samples on show at Alexandra Palace. More can be found here.

20408063_grahamfarishclass158c.jpg.69c87a68136b2e0ad99b34782190d387.jpg115097864_grahamfarishclass158d.jpg.cf9fc17a1d623241b7b165c8cc4773bc.jpg

The 158 may well be the best N Gauge UK outline RTR DMU I've seen yet, even based on these early samples.

Thanks to Bachmann for the close up look. 

Tom.   

On the one hand, I agree with you. It looks like a lovely model. I hope that we won't be waiting for years more for the versions with revised aircon pods; and there are so many liveries to choose from that I can see the one I really want - the vile First TPE blue vinyls overlaid on the Northern Spirit plum and gold "scheme" - never getting done; but it looks like a lovely model.

On the other hand, it better had be the best N gauge UK outline DMU ever. It's the first new model of a DMU since 2019 (the not-brilliant Dapol class 142) and the last one Bachmann released was the Blue Pullman in 2012. You'd hope that a manufacturer could find something to improve on, given a decade to do it.

Jim

PS. I thought something looked "off", but I couldn't place it: what's going on with the cab side windows? There's a recessed section where the lower window's supposed to be, but no actual window.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin
Minor typo

39 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

thought something looked "off", but I couldn't place it: what's going on with the cab side windows? There's a recessed section where the lower window's supposed to be, but no actual window.

It's not actually a window, it's a vanity panel for the unit aesthetics. Usually black, some units have grey ones.

Pic from flickr:

AS 158701 @ Dyce railway station

I would imagine having it as part of the bodyshell before painting black, rather than on the glazing, will give a neater finish once decorated.

Jo

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

It's not actually a window, it's a vanity panel for the unit aesthetics. Usually black, some units have grey ones.

Pic from flickr:

AS 158701 @ Dyce railway station

I would imagine having it as part of the bodyshell before painting black, rather than on the glazing, will give a neater finish once decorated.

Jo

Gosh! I must have ridden on 158s hundreds of times and not noticed that.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1