Class 158 - New Tool

TomE

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

On the other hand, it better had be the best N gauge UK outline DMU ever. It's the first new model of a DMU since 2019 (the not-brilliant Dapol class 142) and the last one Bachmann released was the Blue Pullman, in 2012. You'd hope that a manufacturer could find something to improve on, given a decade to do it.

10 years since the last new Farish DMU? Wow, we really have been through few wilderness years.

The Farish 158 might still be beaten to the stock-box by Revolution's class 128!

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

I wonder if they will offer snowplough front skirts as per the scottish fleet from the early 90s onwards?

They are indeed tooling the Scotrail front valance. This was present on another EP sample on show at Alexandra Palace and can be seen in the last photo here

1 hour ago, Jim Martin said:

On the other hand, it better had be the best N gauge UK outline DMU ever. It's the first new model of a DMU since 2019 (the not-brilliant Dapol class 142) and the last one Bachmann released was the Blue Pullman, in 2012. You'd hope that a manufacturer could find something to improve on, given a decade to do it.

The list of features on the 158 is impressive. Low profile mechanism, interior lighting, conductive couplings, corless motor, pre-fitted speaker etc etc. Granted its not the first model on the market with these all of these features, that accolade goes to the recent Revolution Class 320/321, but when you compare it to the Poole era 158 the difference is like night & day.

Even the more recent Class 150 with its solid chassis block taking up half the saloon begins to look its age compared to the 158 (The less said about the Dapol 142 the better!) so Bachmann have clearly made the effort to incorporate more features, as you would expect for a new model. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Got to say I am really excited about these.  The 158 is an absolute staple as they travelled so far and wide.  And the models in the images look fabulous.

Regional Railways is a little early for me but I will be after the Scotrail version and hoping that GWR, Northern, EMR/Stagecoach and TfW versions are here in time.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

EP on display at DEMU Showcase 2022:

DSC03170red.jpg.52099dc139f184538911dcdbda393ead.jpg

Comparing your photo to this photo JP3_4307-scaled.jpg 

the change in angle between the windows and the final tumblehome looks to be in the wrong place. I hope that it is not and it is a trick of the photo that you have taken. 

2 hours ago, Kris said:

Comparing your photo to this photo  

the change in angle between the windows and the final tumblehome looks to be in the wrong place. I hope that it is not and it is a trick of the photo that you have taken. 

I think you're probably being confused by the shadow cast by the information card on to the cab end/side.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, grahame said:

I think you're probably being confused by the shadow cast by the information card on to the cab end/side.

Could be the case. If not it would be a major error. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TomE said:

A better photo, a sneak peek from a series that will be up on N Gauge News on Monday: 

farishclass158a.jpg.97829a59ea4d39e100bb14602b899cfa.jpg

Tom. 

That's better! I was hoping it was just the colour balance that was off in the first photo, the beige looked far too dark.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TomE said:

I’m pretty sure we won’t have to wait long for a second run. I also suspect at release there’ll be more than just these two liveries. 

Tom. 

1st part is debateable, we still have not had a 2nd run of Mk2F's yet, GWR Castle cla17282PP83516349ss is at one if you ignore the trainset and that was 4 years ago the main lot came out so it could be short while it could be ages. Definitely agree with the 2nd part, plus a sound fitted version of each as well

The 158 is looking lovely. As I've mentioned elsewhere, 158749 or 158766 would be brilliant in FGW local lines. This pair spent a lot of time running as 2 cars, even when the majority of the FGW fleet were made up as 3 cars. Yes I could buy and repaint, but hours in the day etc. Go on Bachmann,  please?

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TomE said:

I also suspect at release there’ll be more than just these two liveries. 

I reckon so too…. previously unannounced liveries piggy-backing off advertised production run seems to be the new modus operandi for the Farish range….

…. at least, I’m hoping this holds true for the forthcoming 90s and there will be at least one more livery (preferably EWS or DB!).

As for the 158, I’d quite like one in SWR…. speaking of SWR - do we know if Bachmann have accommodated for the 159….? Cos I think I’d rather have a 159 in SWR than a 158….

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, JR_P said:

As for the 158, I’d quite like one in SWR…. speaking of SWR - do we know if Bachmann have accommodated for the 159….? Cos I think I’d rather have a 159 in SWR than a 158….

I'd watch Kernow for that, given they have form in the more senior scale......

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, JR_P said:

do we know if Bachmann have accommodated for the 159

There's no indication they have tooled the centre car, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have. Perhaps they're waiting to see how the 158 sells first before pushing go on the 159? 

Tom.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Padishar Creel said:

Shame there is no side on pic of the units coupled to show the gap between the corridor connections 

es grüßt

pc 

Couldn’t fit the unit end to end in the mobile photo studio! 

however:

3A9271EA-A6A1-4C61-9175-5EF1E396E565.jpeg.14875701b1eaa5e990587f48b8253cbd.jpeg

There wasn’t any of the circuitry in this sample but it shouldn’t be much more of a gap on the production versions than seen here. 

Tom. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have spent much of the morning testing my new 158. I noticed a few things. 
It has a horrid intrusive whine at low speeds.
After leaving the loco sat for a while idling it would not drive off. I loved this by switching the power supply off then on again after a couple of minutes.
When using the brake function there have been a couple of speed surges on release of the brake. 

I am using a prodigy advance 2

Has anyone else noted these issues?