WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember a snap by the esteemed photographer B. J Ashworth capturing 1504 hard at work at Bilson Yard in 1963 with a train of Berry Wiggins tanks in tow ready to head towards Whimsey. 

Then again did I eat too much Lincolnshire Poacher before bed time? 

Either way I'll be ordering one. 

Great news from Rapido and like wise with the Hunslet announcement too.. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The 15xx was surely too heavy for the Forest of Dean?  (Or maybe no one cared by 1963.)

It surely was, Miss P, but in the intervening years since the closure of all those lines, bridges have been strengthened, track re-laid and new track layout and traffic configurations developed, all of which demand the presence of such motive power.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's interesting and at a spiffing price considering all the separate bits which will need to be assembled onto it.  Folk should however take care if their WR layout has ground signals because these engines had reputation for demolishing such things.

Fortunately (for me) the Newport District had 4 of them for almost all of their working lives there is a published photo (just the one to my knowledge) of one working a main line trip freight so they weren't solely employed on shunting.  So it would be nice to have had one of the South Wales running numbers among those announced but relacement etched plates will no doubt be available.  

They had the excellent advantage of being able to negotiate tight curvature due to their very short wheelbase of only 12' 10" - the shortest wheelbase of any 20th century GWR 0-6-0T except for the small 1361/66 classes.  The short wheelbase allowed them to negotiate curves down to 3 chain radius at dead slow speed (and was responsible for one of them going to Southall to take over the work that had been performed by the last GWR inside cylinder saddle tank to remain in service and for which every other engine which had been tried had failed to do the job).

So despite their intended role as heavy shunting tanks and their association with Paddington ECS work they could be seen on the mainline working freight trips  and they were ideal for tight curvature.  So forget the Red Route Availability restriction as it makes them just the sort of engine many a cramped model railway layout needs ;)

PS While they were too heavy for the original weight restrictions on the Forest of Dean branches they were permitted between Grange Court,  and   Rotherwas Jcn via Ross at a maximum speed pf 20mph.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Edge said:

Torn between the preserved 1501 and the NCB red 1509... decisions, decisions...

Plenty of photos on the Warwickshire Railways site of both to whet your appetite.;)

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_cc012.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_cc021.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_cc011.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_cc104.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_cc013.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't like Panniers........Don't like Panniers......Don't like Panniers.....Don't like Panniers......

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

20 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I notice that one of those captions refer to the loco 'running tender first'. Oops :)

Nontheless, thanks for those

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Here's interesting and at a spiffing price considering all the separate bits which will need to be assembled onto it.  Folk should however take care if their WR layout has ground signals because these engines had reputation for demolishing such things.

Fortunately (for me) the Newport District had 4 of them for almost all of their working lives there is a published photo (just the one to my knowledge) of one working a main line trip freight so they weren't solely employed on shunting.  So it would be nice to have had one of the South Wales running numbers among those announced but relacement etched plates will no doubt be available.  

They had the excellent advantage of being able to negotiate tight curvature due to their very short wheelbase of only 12' 10" - the shortest wheelbase of any 20th century GWR 0-6-0T except for the small 1361/66 classes.  The short wheelbase allowed them to negotiate curves down to 3 chain radius at dead slow speed (and was responsible for one of them going to Southall to take over the work that had been performed by the last GWR inside cylinder saddle tank to remain in service and for which every other engine which had been tried had failed to do the job).

So despite their intended role as heavy shunting tanks and their association with Paddington ECS work they could be seen on the mainline working freight trips  and they were ideal for tight curvature.  So forget the Red Route Availability restriction as it makes them just the sort of engine many a cramped model railway layout needs ;)

PS While they were too heavy for the original weight restrictions on the Forest of Dean branches they were permitted between Grange Court,  and   Rotherwas Jcn via Ross at a maximum speed pf 20mph.

247 Developments do the full class in etched plates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Don't like Panniers........Don't like Panniers......Don't like Panniers.....Don't like Panniers......

If that's the case! why do you have a sheep logo by your name with sticky out pannier type ears then 

Go On answer that !

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

I'd been thinking of pulling out of OO when NO PLACE reaches the end of its exhibition life span.

However an NCB 15xx renumbered to one of those that didn't reach preservation, plus a 16" Hunslet in the next couple of years has set me thinking again......

Les

It will take another year before Bregenbach gets anywhere near finished so I've plenty of time to think..

• Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, 5050 said:

I'm tempted, sorely tempted, really tempted etc. etc......................................

How will it be for conversion to P4 and EM?  Plenty of room between the valve gear and crossheads for instance?  1/8" axles?  Drop out wheelsets?

Warren shepard etched chassis ?

• RMweb Gold

What's that sound?  Oh, it's OK, Rule 1 has gone in the bin... 

Yes please, I'll be having one of those.  Can I  (please )  suggest a DC version only? That way, it can be packed with lead to the gunwales.  Between the 15" Hunslet and this little beastie, it's been a good week for me. 

Nice, nice, nice.

Edit. Just checked Eric Mountfords book on Caerphilly, and he lists 1504, 6, 7, 8 as having attending the works. It's a bit of a no-brainer now. 

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
More research obtained.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

It surely was, Miss P, but in the intervening years since the closure of all those lines, bridges have been strengthened, track re-laid and new track layout and traffic configurations developed, all of which demand the presence of such motive power.

Well that's it then. One will be acquired for F.O.D. work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham456 said:

If that's the case! why do you have a sheep logo by your name with sticky out pannier type ears then 

Go On answer that !

sheep-967169-01.jpeg

Really. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1