Metro-Vick Type 2 Co-Bo - N Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

Well, I have been quietly applauding them for the choice of a Co-Bo.

I will certainly be up for a couple of them when the time comes, as Polmadie were quite keen on pinching them for Wemyss Bay services from time to time.

Fair play to Rapido, this old man is quite a happy one.

Regards

Ian

• Like 3

8 hours ago, scottystitch said:

As far as Rapido themselves are concerned, out of all the locomotives I own in a variety of scales, their CN Dash 8 is the best in terms of detail, finesse, weight and reliability.

So this is where, in a case of "just in case", we need to be clear about things where you mention a variety of scales, I assume you are talking about Rapido's N scale Dash 8-40CM.

This clarification is necessary because the HO version of the Dash 8-40CM  was an attempt at a more price friendly model - marketed under the "Prime Movers" sub-brand, that sacrificed details to bring the price down - and it didn't go over well with Rapido customers and thus the Prime Movers brand was dropped with only 2 products ever being made.

Thus as a result the N scale Dash 8-40CM is actually far more detailed than the HO version, and the HO version doesn't reflect the rest of the Rapido product line in HO.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, mdvle said:

So this is where, in a case of "just in case", we need to be clear about things where you mention a variety of scales, I assume you are talking about Rapido's N scale Dash 8-40CM.

This clarification is necessary because the HO version of the Dash 8-40CM  was an attempt at a more price friendly model - marketed under the "Prime Movers" sub-brand, that sacrificed details to bring the price down - and it didn't go over well with Rapido customers and thus the Prime Movers brand was dropped with only 2 products ever being made.

Thus as a result the N scale Dash 8-40CM is actually far more detailed than the HO version, and the HO version doesn't reflect the rest of the Rapido product line in HO.

yes, the Dash 8 is N. 

Best

Scott. 

• 1 month later...

The class doesn't get any prettier the smaller it gets.

I never really understood the design of the narrower body area under the cabs, it looks like someone measured once and cut twice. 

I bought the recent book on the Co-Bo's by Anthony Sayer but nowhere within the pages does it mention that the ConDor locomotives were usually coupled with the Bo ends outermost as the Bo cabs were quieter and gave a better ride. If a single Co-Bo was used, it went north with the Bo cab leading and was turned for the return trip. 

Camden Cricklewood men would insist on this but when the class were dumped on Cumbrian crews, they drove them from any cab. Photos tend to support what I was told by older drivers but I have yet to see anything in writing anywhere.

Edited by SGP
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, SGP said:

The class doesn't get any prettier the smaller it gets.

I never really understood the design of the narrower body area under the cabs, it looks like someone measured once and cut twice. 

I bought the recent book on the Co-Bo's by Anthony Sayer but nowhere within the pages does it mention that the ConDor locomotives were usually coupled with the Bo ends outermost as the Bo cabs were quieter and gave a better ride. If a single Co-Bo was used, it went north with the Bo cab leading and was turned for the return trip. 

Camden men would insist on this but when the class were dumped on Cumbrian crews, they drove them from any cab. Photos tend to support what I was told by older drivers but I have yet to see anything in writing anywhere.

I didn't realise that they had ever worked at the south end of the WCML as I thought they were transferred en-bloc from the Mdland Lines to the Cumbrian.   I know they got as far south as Manchester on passenger workings when on the Cumbrian.  What did they work into the London area on the WCML?

What did they work into the London area on the WCML?

They worked the ConDor service from Hendon to Glasgow (and return) routed along the Midland main line and cutting though the Erewash Valley line.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Osborn's have them at 107 quid for pre-order for the keen.  Pretty competitive I think.  

When they come, I'll be in for 1 for sure - it'll depend on what else turns up (Revolution Cartics for example) to see if funds will stretch to a pair.  A dummy would be handy in this case although from talking to an Aussie manufacturer the dummy's cost almost as much as the running ones as it is the assembly which costs the most and there isn't that many bits missing for a dummy compared to a running one.

On 10/02/2021 at 21:30, JR_P said:

Looks very nice, but is this not another of Rapido’s ‘vanity projects’, a bit like their recently proposed class 13 (presumably one of the new UK employees has a personal interest in said class).

If they can make a success out of doing models that they are personally interested in, then fair play. There is certainly some aspect of that for the other recent entrants (eg. Revolution and Cavalex) and there is nothing wrong with that - indeed that may even be advantageous to the paying customer, since you would imagine that in the event the developer holds a personal interest this would result in them striving for accuracy and detail just that tad bit more....

However, I find it hard to picture a compelling commercial argument for producing the co-bo, compared to that of a number of other potential candidates.... with the number of obvious low hanging fruit, why waste time/resources/energy on something so obscure???! 

Just looking at diesel/electric (as that is what I am familiar with), I could picture that any of the following would be more popular and profitable....

> a southern region [mk1 based] EMU

> a BR era DMU that isn’t the 101 or 108, but especially noteworthy is the 117

> done to modern standards: 87, 90, 91

> 81 thru 85 or 89

> 175 and/or 180

> Electrostar family

> 323

> 317/455

.... you get the idea.... plus all the steam locos I have no knowledge of....

I know people like ‘quirky’ and ‘quirky’ sells* and we can all invoke ‘rule 1’, but with so many other appealing projects I can’t help but feel this is a bit of an own goal....

Maybe I’m wrong and it is a huge financial success, the profits of which they can then plough into one of the items plucked from my list above  :D !!!

The OO Heljan class 28 always sell out instantly on eBay when listed with BIN and strong money at auction. There seem to be more people wanting them than available used so clearly it's a class in demand.

Edited by maico
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Although Heljan aren't exactly rushing to produce more. And the same class proved a financial disaster for Hornby-Dublo back in the 1960s. Even among diesels I'd have thought the 15s and 21/29s would sell more. I'd expect Bachmann to produce an 'N' class 117 in the future — for all we know they may be working on it at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone.

We did say we would listen to modellers - and several have asked if a second plain green model could be added into the initial range.

So here it is - a plain green D5700:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/class-28-d5700-br-green/

It is very slightly different to the other plain green example featuring no electrification flashes on the body side as per the prototype.

Enjoy!

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Morning everyone.

We did say we would listen to modellers - and several have asked if a second plain green model could be added into the initial range.

So here it is - a plain green D5700:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/class-28-d5700-br-green/

It is very slightly different to the other plain green example featuring no electrification flashes on the body side as per the prototype.

Enjoy!

Andy

Hello Andy,

That's great news; I was waiting on that to be my fourth example.  It's a good choice, as it's an example of a windscreen change before the Dukinfield modifications.  I've seen an image of 5700 with the revised windscreens in April 1960, so strictly speaking it's not an example of a post-1961 engine, as I think it emerged from Dukinfield with a small yellow panel.

That's by-the-by in the grand scheme of things, however.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This thread has gone rather quiet of late, and loathe though I am to interrupt all the "announcement" frothing on another, I just wondered if Andy could advise how the tooling of this loco is getting on and when we might get to see an EP?

Roy

• 1 month later...

I've registered for one at Hattons.  I think it's a good business choice by Rapido because so many people will want them in pairs (a dummy one, like Dapol offer, is really all that is needed).  A truly ugly prototype but then so were the Class 17 and lots of the unsuccessful Type 1 locos. 

On 26/02/2022 at 15:51, AlfaZagato said:

Should offer a 'misnumbered' green option for the Awdry fans out there.   Anecdotally the reason for BoCo's BR number in The Railway Series.

Surely the Awdry fans (of which I am one) could renumber their example?  I plan to.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

A slightly better view...

948442098_Class28001a.jpg.283f6cd54e4ab98e66cc4ea0f3da08c8.jpg

Not my scale but I think that really captures the elegant simplicity of the Co-Bo body and the droopy look of the front ends.  Excellent branch line loco  too as it happens as I travelled behind one on the Lakeside branch a good many years ago.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not my scale but I think that really captures the elegant simplicity of the Co-Bo body and the droopy look of the front ends.  Excellent branch line loco  too as it happens as I travelled behind one on the Lakeside branch a good many years ago.

It ran down to Staines West a few days ago and performed very nicely. (CJL)

• Like 2