Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

1 minute ago, Theakerr said:

I am not in the market for points so my question is really academic as of today but the answer might change things.  Can the basic shape be altered by the builder?   I am referring to some posters on this forum who have taken Peco straight point and made them into slightly curved points.

A REALLY good question.

For standard turnouts...YES! Its simply a matter of cutting the 'webbing' between the sleepers/timbers on one side only, but NOT along the cast crossing frog.

You must curve and fix the base into position BEFORE cutting rail to length, though. This has been done many times by my customers using my N Gauge range.

Diamond crossings and slips can't really be curved, however, due to the use of solid 'obtuse crossing' castings.

Thanks,

Wayne.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

22 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks, please remember this was the 'work in progress' at the time of sending to Patrick. Much work has been done since, and WILL be reflected in upcoming photos... :)

Wayne

I was just going from the photo you uploaded

I see you mentioned its compatible with C&L, is the rail in your turnouts held upright or at a cant ?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Your photo doesn't clearly show from the top, though.

Hi Wayne,

If you have photos or drawings showing infill between the vee rails they must be of very rare cast bullhead crossings. The vast majority of bolted rail-built bullhead crossings do not have any such infill.

Sorry, I can't find a single top view pic, but here is a combined pic of 2 views of a GWR 1:7.1/2 crossing from Phil O on the Templot Club forum. You can see that there is a small bolted spacer block in the rail web close to the B chair, but nothing else between the rails (you can see the ballast), and certainly nothing anywhere near the head of the rail:

2_041607_270000000.jpg

The vast majority of bullhead crossings look like this. But in rather better condition than this old one -- broken C chair and missing key, and mis-matched wing rail flares (no doubt the result of previous repairs).

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks,

I am not currently an 'advertiser' on this forum so do not wish to upset site admin by posting links. I am only answering direct questions, currently.

You can search my company name in Google to find my site, thanks.

We could set up a new thread in the "Small Producers" forum. I think that a link is permissible there.

• Agree 1

I have just been directed to this topic.

May I add my voice to those who have welcomed this as a tremendous development.

It looks thoroughly well-conceived and engineered and is likely to take the pain and difficulty out of turnout construction (I know, I've tried!) and looks both convincing and beautifully engineered.

I would certainly be a customer for these in OO should they make it to market, which I pray they do.

As I have mainly SMP plain track, but have recently bought some Peco Bullhead to try, the different sleeper heights are very welcome.

For the GWR modeller, the option of 2-bolt chairs is most welcome.  Last time I looked, that option involved a separate component build with C&L. 

There is a lot to be very pleased about here.

From my perspective, there are some other things I'd like to see in addition, though I can appreciate that cost or technical difficulties might rule them out.  For those of us whose interest lies pre-1923, often pre-Great War, there is little out there (save building from components) to represent the characteristics of the PW of the period.  There are two things in particular that I would love to see catered for by a range such as this:

- Interlaced sleepers.  These were very common in the earlier period.  Through timbers needed cranes and tended to come later as a result.  The NER did not even start using through timbers until 1908, IIRC, and drawings of that company's interlaced turnouts, which are freely available, would be a good starting point.   

- Vignoles rail. While bullhead was in use in the late Victorian period. there was plenty of FB, or properly I suppose, Vignoles, rail still in use.  The MGN did not replace the last on its running lines until c.1905 IIRC, and many Edwardian views show this flat-bottom type of rail still laid in yards and sidings long after the running lines had been relaid with BH. The Light Railway modeller would certainly also find a use for such rail. Typically, however, the rails are spiked straight to the sleepers, without chairs. so that might be a bridge too far! 

Anyway, I eagerly await developments.  I wish the product every success. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Wayne, I've just read through the topic. The fact that a luddite such as myself feels encouraged to have a go at these kits should speak volumes. 

Looking forward to the release. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davegreenly said:

Any indication of likely costs yet?

He said, upthread, that that would be announced in due course. But you can look at the prices for the N gauge range and, I think, draw one's own conclusions. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Having looked on the website, Wayne,  will the various jigs already available for the N gauge trackwork, be made available for the OO gauge equivalent? 

Rob. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Having looked on the website, Wayne,  will the various jigs already available for the N gauge trackwork, be made available for the OO gauge equivalent? 

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

Since the switch blades will come pre machined and pre soldered to pins, there will be no need for the jigs so I am not planning on making them, no.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Rob,

Since the switch blades will come pre machined and pre soldered to pins, there will be no need for the jigs so I am not planning on making them, no.

Thats reassuring. Thanks Wayne. These are looking increasingly attractive with a new layout in the offing. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

He said, upthread, that that would be announced in due course. But you can look at the prices for the N gauge range and, I think, draw one's own conclusions. 

I'm not sure that the comparison is entirely valid as the manufacturing technique is rather different.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

For the slow amongst us, the web address is?

18 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks,

I am not currently an 'advertiser' on this forum so do not wish to upset site admin by posting links. I am only answering direct questions, currently.

You can search my company name in Google to find my site, thanks.