Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

3 hours ago, RBAGE said:

It'll turn out in every imaginable direction, by the sound of it.

Can I raise a POINT of order to the CHAIRman.....please stick to the ĶEY Isues raised in this thread....

Sorry 

Just going to put in a order for some 3mm scale 14.2mm gauge points through the society that british finescale have produced...hope I can do them justice ...thanks again  for you commitment to 'the other scales'

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2022 at 15:12, hayfield said:

The problem as I see it the bulk of the hobby thinks either in small, medium or large, or in radii. Mention switch sizes or crossing angles and their eyes glaze over

I think the a significant proportion of the bulk do have an idea but only ever had a choice of PECO, et al,  or complicated kit build.  Most, daunted by the thought of making a turnout, had to settle for PECO and the like.  My next door neighbour wants to build a N gauge layout in the near future but cannot abide the PECO offerings but, equally, is put off by the original N gauge offerings from British Finescale - too fiddly for him.   When I told him the whole range had bee revised a few days ago, he was over the moon because he had seen how easy the prototype OO and EM gauge turnouts were to assemble.  I only decided on EM on returning to modelling because the flexi track and ready made B6s were available from the EMGS.   The icing on the cake came later with Wayne's new range of turnouts.  So, given a choice of 'very hard to make' and simply 'drop in place' it is no wonder most opt for 'drop in place'.  Now we have simply 'assemble and drop in place' and many more might make the switch to different gauges and/or more realistic turnouts.   I am sure one day I will get round to building the very expensive single turnout purchased from C&L a couple of years ago to see if i could make one, but at the moment I don't see a need to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Please has this rang been reviewed in the model press?

There is an article in the latest EMGS newsletter about modifying it into a curved turnout, but I dont think Peco would go hunting to put it into their mag, but I am sure if one is sent to the editor for review it will get a fair showing, perhaps am EM gauge one would be more palatable to them ?

1 hour ago, NFWEM57 said:

I am sure one day I will get round to building the very expensive single turnout purchased from C&L a couple of years ago to see if i could make one, but at the moment I don't see a need to.

This statement is very unfair. Like all things, if you buy any kit with preassembled parts it will be expensive. No one (I have seen) has moaned about the costs of laser cut baseboards, yet you can get sheet material cut at timber merchants for much less (last time I got a sheet cut down I made two 4' x 2' baseboards and had material left over for £20 in total)

The costs in actual materials of a plastic chaired turnout is about £12 to £15. 

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

This statement is very unfair.

It is not a criticism, it is a comparison.  Thus, it it fair.   I have no vested interest in the producers of the product, I have a vested interest in my time, skillset, and money.  The single C&L (A4) turnout cost me £62.50 at the time of purchase, Wayne's A4 will likely cost circa £25~£30 including  postage.  And as for success in assembly...!?  There will always be a market for C&L and PECO but there is definitely a market for Wayne's product.  I am glad it is here because  my proposed Norton Fitzwarren & Minehead layout in EM is a now a firm possibility. hence NFWEM, you can guess the 57. It will  require around 100 turnouts for scenic and fiddle yards.   The time and cost, and perhaps quality, difference is significant. 

Edited by NFWEM57
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

There is an article in the latest EMGS newsletter about modifying it into a curved turnout, but I dont think Peco would go hunting to put it into their mag, but I am sure if one is sent to the editor for review it will get a fair showing, perhaps am EM gauge one would be more palatable to them ?

Agree, since they make the EMGS B6s and flexi.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do have one challenge for my proposed layout.  I need 8 GWR 30ft switch types and another 6 GWR 30ft switch types for 3 crossing pairs.  They range in size from 14 to 18.   I doubt there are any jigs for these sizes so it should be interesting making the crossing V's.  So, I will be hand building some turnouts on my proposed layout.

2 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

I do have one challenge for my proposed layout.  I need 8 GWR 30ft switch types and another 6 GWR 30ft switch types for 3 crossing pairs.  They range in size from 14 to 18.   I doubt there are any jigs for these sizes so it should be interesting making the crossing V's.  So, I will be hand building some turnouts on my proposed layout.

Making a soldering jig is easy, can always be used to act as a check to see if the filed angles are correct

Again a simple jig to check the switch blade angle is correct shoule also be simple, In both cases its filing them to shape that's the hard bit.  Good luck

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Keep routing for me, guys! :)

Normal or Reverse? . . . Well I’ll keep rooting for you instead,  :lol:

Sounds and sensible way to keep on top of things to me and glad it’s been a success. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Normal or Reverse? . . . Well I’ll keep rooting for you instead,  :lol:

Sounds and sensible way to keep on top of things to me and glad it’s been a success. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Too much CAD and not enough play make Waynie go CRAZY!!! :tease:

Wayne is routeing for us!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Keep routing for me, guys! :)

Wayne is back to his routes with N gauge..!

Well done for all your effort.  Image what the 4mm order book will be when you complete the line up...! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Teaser :blind:

09.jpg

That looks excellent Wayne.

And on the very day Peco have an advert in the latest Railway Modeller announcing the availability of their bullhead diamond-crossing. No connection, obviously. :)

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

8 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Hope that is in 14.2mm!

Just ordered a 50yd pack of 14.2mm track from 3mm society and 14 of your points can't wait....just in time as my multi gauge test tracks 14.2mm section cross over has decided that delamination of the copper clad would be a good thing to do! So first two will be going on there to replace the cross over ....the copper clad points where in excess of 25 years old so time for upgrade

20220123_213747.jpg

20220123_213749.jpg

Edited by bradfordbuffer
Forgot pics
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

the copper clad points where in excess of 25 years old so time for upgrade

That's a poor show. Some of mine are now on their third layout and at least 30 years old.