Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

8 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Colin,

That is included in Templot to match Peco universal, to accept all RTR models back to the year dot.

For his Standard 00 kits, Wayne matched the turnout geometry and timbering to DOGA-Fine (00-DOGAF), but widened the flangeway gaps to DOGA-intermediate (00-DOGAI).

If you are building only the kits (i.e. not intermixing with hand-built), you can ignore the flangeway gaps on the templates, because the gaps are set by the kit. So in that case it is best to design the layout plans using 00-DOGAF.

You can convert your existing plans to 00-DOGAF in one go, but it won't be a perfect conversion because 00-DOGAF turnouts are slightly longer than 00/H0 turnouts. There will be some gaps and overlaps between the templates. But probably not too bad and easily fixed. Much quicker than starting again.

To convert you plans to 00-DOGAF, do this:

gauge > other gauges...

convert_to_dogaf.png.e38b7d000c93fe302408ddefc937f352.png

cheers,

Martin.

Martin,

I did a global convert to D0GAF as you describe in the final section and all went well. I can see the minor misalignments but as my track plan is not complex I can resolve these easily. Thanks for the assistance. Certainly will be easier than starting over!

Colin

One more comment regarding bending these kits may be helpful. 

The Sleeper base is very flexible polymer and has a modest tendency to curve up laterally at the exits after assembly of the turnout, something easily attended to when fixing down. However my curved assembled kits showed rather more of this than I was comfortable with so I set to finding a solution.

Hardly rocket science but it works very well. Leave the completed kit like pinned like this for a day or two to 5mm ply and it comes out close to flat and then stays put.

220284209_B7L02.jpg.b378dd76a4405644bad47362e13cb8db.jpg

The switch rail electrical bonding to stock rails still pending.

Edited by BWsTrains
Restore Pic
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

29 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

One more comment regarding bending these kits may be helpful. 

The Sleeper base is very flexible polymer and has a modest tendency to curve up laterally at the exits after assembly of the turnout, something easily attended to when fixing down. However my curved assembled kits showed rather more of this than I was comfortable with so I set to finding a solution.

Hardly rocket science but it works very well. Leave the completed kit like pinned like this for a day or two to 5mm ply and it comes out close to flat and then stays put.

1607573241_B7L02.jpg.c0cbbd3bf46ea460e552b9f8407823f2.jpg

The switch rail electrical bonding to stock rails still pending.

Silly question what's the timbers linked together as bellow for?

Screenshot_20220311-215449_Chrome.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Silly question what's the timbers linked together as bellow for?

Screenshot_20220311-215449_Chrome.jpg

Space to link the stock rails to the switch rails electrically.

Patrick

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

40 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Whoa! Stop right there, my man! What the hell are you trying to imply?

Are you referring to the ONE time I ordered one of your N Scale etched frogs back in Jan 2020? The order that you cancelled because you knew it was me?

Why did you say 'keeps trying' for? I placed an order with you ONCE! You cancelled it. Sorry, but I've now heard enough! You are extremely arrogant indeed! You come into this thread about my product and seem to just wind everyone up? Why? Are you jealous?

Well, you've finally done it to me, and you have actually p*ssed me off! I would invite you to go elsewhere, my "friend"!

How bloody dare you! You certainly wouldn't say that to my face.

Sorry everyone else for that rant!

Of late, my visits to this thread have been fleeting because what was a very positive discussion seems to have changed. Or am I being too sensitive?

Could we possibly get back to discussing the dramatic improvements in track appearance that have been made to date and anticipate future developments, please?

Bob 

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

It's the one Wayne (British Finescale) keeps trying to order from me (proto87.com) :D :D:D

Andy

Please can you stop trying to undermine this thread. Its clear you have your own company and agenda and to be frank it seems you add nothing to this discussion apart from causing trouble and trying to undermine Wayne in an effort to get rid of competition and promote your own product by doing so. 

• Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Of late, my visits to this thread have been fleeting because what was a very positive discussion seems to have changed. Or am I being too sensitive?

Could we possibly get back to discussing the dramatic improvements in track appearance that have been made to date and anticipate future developments, please?

Bob 

From the top of the page.

New range of simple to assemble 00/EM gauge pointwork kits

I innocently assumed this is a thread for Wayne to keep us abreast of developments in his excellent range of kits.

Silly me.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I innocently assumed this is a thread for Wayne to keep us abreast of developments in his excellent range of kits.

It still is...!  But it appears to need a quick wipe down with Dettol.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Whoa! Stop right there, my man! What the hell are you trying to imply?

Are you referring to the ONE time I ordered one of your N Scale etched frogs back in Jan 2020? The order that you cancelled because you knew it was me?

Why did you say 'keeps trying' for? I placed an order with you ONCE! You cancelled it. Sorry, but I've now heard enough! You are extremely arrogant indeed! You come into this thread about my product and seem to just wind everyone up? Why? Are you jealous?

Well, you've finally done it to me, and you have actually p*ssed me off! I would invite you to go elsewhere, my "friend"!

How bloody dare you! You certainly wouldn't say that to my face.

Rant on!.....love a good scrap!....fight!

Reminds me of when a second man at Saltley depot....i lived above a hairdressers in a flat and Thursday night was ladys night! At the cross keys pub across the road....I use to get 4 cold tins of Heineken an microwave spagboll and watch the entertainment ! ......wrong I know but entertaining 

• Funny 2

More news more eye candy coming I cannot wait……… tell me tell me tell me please please. I need a good no sugar no fat Easter egg.

Wayne let’s forget what has gone on we are all stronger than that. Well done mods the right decision.

All hail to British Finescale.

Keith

ps. There are other manufacturers but not quite as good he he he he.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Wayne

Nothing to apologise about at all, to me this thread is moving along the requests for" easy to build and better looking track", sadly there are a few around who just want to disrupt threads for the sake of it. Nothing wrong with constructive comments even if sometimes it falls into constructive criticism, that's how we can learn and move things forward. Well done for keeping your cool for so long

One of the issues with 00 gauge is that there are so many variants from course scale to ultra fine scales, its a great pity the trade does not agree a common set of standards for new stock.

I look forward to your new announcements and the thread getting back on track

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

What formations would you like to see next?

Hi Wayne,

Well done..!   I will be buying the crossing and the double slip soonest.  My vote would be for a B7 crossover and a single slip next.  In the fullness of time, a 3 way would also interest me and a C10 (or larger, GWR 30ft) crossover would definitely interest me..!

You really do deserve a holiday..!

Patrick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

OK, I promised some eye candy to get this topic back on track. Below are some pictures of the EM Gauge 1in7 Diamond and 1in7 Double Slip kits:

01_small.jpg.11abc3cec0915a5eb316cee0f90bee1c.jpg02_small.jpg.772c24d5a33f3876dce685bb464afa89.jpg03_small.jpg.6264393fbd11b04e62607ba2e9a710f3.jpg

07_small.jpg.0b6456d02c8fc9b786d4a186ac71f883.jpg08_small.jpg.ce5e1bfdec4a4304ca22b6420110bf2a.jpg05_small.jpg.5a781844b204f84bad047aa551747bb6.jpg

These should both be released this week, with 00 Gauge and 00-SF versions to follow the following week.

Price of the Diamond kit is the same as a standard turnout at £22.99, the Double Slip kit is £39.

I'm also wanting to get an A5 standard turnout kit released in all 3 gauges by the end of the month. I go on holiday beginning of April so want all this done before I leave :)

What formations would you like to see next? I believe an A5 & B7 crossover would be sensible, but I'm looking for input! Maybe a single slip?

Oh lordy!!!

Well done that man.

Now why would anyone want to model in anything other than EM?

Mike.

Pulled the pin and waiting for the bang!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Now why would anyone want to model in anything other than EM?

Thanks to Wayne, track is now very much the easy bit.. But regauging rolling stock and replacing or modifying wheelsets is the next hurdle for most?   But watch what I am doing to the original 1980s Hornby HST conversion, and it's more than just a wheelset change...!  (Under Modifying and Detailing RTR Stock)  And there will be more conversions to follow..!  Including steam..!

Patrick

• Like 2
  • Agree 3