Norden NG/Std Gauge interchange

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Looking for images of the clay drop into standard gauge wagons near Norden, Purbeck.

The otherwise excellent Oakwood press book seems to mention but not illustrate the interchange, neither does an internet search reveal much beyond offers of holiday cottages nearby for rent.

I have seen images previously published but in the dim and distant past - all and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Looking for images of the clay drop into standard gauge wagons near Norden, Purbeck.

The otherwise excellent Oakwood press book seems to mention but not illustrate the interchange, neither does an internet search reveal much beyond offers of holiday cottages nearby for rent.

I have seen images previously published but in the dim and distant past - all and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I have long been interested in the Purbeck ball clay lines. Curiously I haven't come across a photo of the Norden transfer wharf either. I believe it included a roofed transfer/loading shed, but what, if any, loading technology lay within remains a mystery!

Ball Clay Heritage Society Archive | New contributions ...

www.communityarchives.org.uk › content › organisation

26 May 2014 — The Ball Clay Heritage Society archive comprises extensive records of firms that have been engaged in the production - in South and North ...

Just now, Paul H Vigor said:

Ball Clay Heritage Society Archive | New contributions ...

www.communityarchives.org.uk › content › organisation

26 May 2014 — The Ball Clay Heritage Society archive comprises extensive records of firms that have been engaged in the production - in South and North ...

The Ball Clay Heritage Society website has a Gallery. There is a photo of a photo of the transshipment facilities at Furzebrook. I suspect Norden was very similar - high level NG siding tipping/shoveling directly into low level SG wagons?

• 5 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

There has been some progress or a sort, look here.

The NG stuff from Busch looked wonderful but fell way below expectations whilst the buildings for the pottery diorama proved to be unavailable. Stuck with a new Peckett and some tatty buildings for the Purbeck clay layout, the less than obvious solution is a standard gauge tramway with lots of inspiration from Gordon Edgar's colour albums.

The current inability to purchase Peco medium turnouts has subtedly changed the simple trackplan but not a problem with a Peckett (Ruston 48DS as a spare) plus awkward track is rather typical of industry.

Ridge_Locoshed.jpg.252108e8c98de56f58baa5659cc87eb5.jpg

The old locoshed at Ridge

The Nissen hut and other dilapidated buildings are a bonus, no stone or brick, just wood and rusty corrugated iron will find a home on the diorama - just as remembered from 1968.

More to follow, as and when.

StaySafe  

Edited by Jack Benson