Transformer for Electromagnets

Coombe Barton

I've bought the PK-MAG electromagnets from MSE for Alex Jackson uncoupling. They're 4.5 ohms (2.7A at 12vDC). I've tried them with a car battery and they work OK, as I'd expect they would.

Would this or similar tranformer work for them? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_756417_langId_-1_categoryId_165650

Or is a car battery plus charger better? I'd prefer a transformer because of convenience reasons, and of course buying one already rectified with sufficient ourput power (33w required, 60w available, according to my calculations) is a bit of a struggle. Would the instant demand for power likely to be be too much for the transformer?

I've bought the PK-MAG electromagnets from MSE for Alex Jackson uncoupling. They're 4.5 ohms (2.7A at 12vDC). I've tried them with a car battery and they work OK, as I'd expect they would.

Would this or similar tranformer work for them? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_756417_langId_-1_categoryId_165650

Or is a car battery plus charger better? I'd prefer a transformer because of convenience reasons, and of course buying one already rectified with sufficient ourput power (33w required, 60w available, according to my calculations) is a bit of a struggle. Would the instant demand for power likely to be be too much for the transformer?

Hi

I don't think a cool box will work! But ideal for the beers when operating the layout. :D :D :D

Seriously though, the converter should be ok, but why not consider a regulated power supply?

One like these supplied from Maplin is about the same cost and probably a better option IMO. :D

Maplin Reg PSU

• RMweb Gold

As long as its fully insulated so that the only connection between the primary and secondary is via magnetic flux ( testing with a multimeter for any connection btween the mains lead and the output terminal will do ) then I can't see any problem. If the unit is poorly regulated the voltage might drop a little but not really affect things. I am a little puzzled why you need such a high current. Are you planning to operate lots of eletromagnets at once? One last point is whether the unit might not like the spike produce on switching off so a capacitor to absorb the spike would be usefull like the condenser on a car ( old style ignition with points - are any still like that?) or a diode to block reverse voltage (100v PIV would be ok) although it would have to carry a large current.

Donw

Archived