"E" Class loco chassis

jhb171achil

Hi folks

I know a handful of us have built models of CIE "E" class diesels. What did anyone use as a chassis, and how successful was it?

My interest is in relation to a freelance project, so the donor / etc. does not have to be accurate: I just seek a suitable chassis for a six-wheeled diesel loco of a broadly similar type.

A German 0-6-0 diesel shunter from Fleischmann or Roco is probably the best option for a free lance loco in terms of reliability and smooth running.

I ordered a custom built Bull-Ant chassis from Hollywood Foundry for my E421 class, expensive but probably the best option apart from scratchbuilding a chassis.

• Like 1

If you use a black beetle motor bogie for the front 4 wheels and have the 2 back wheels 

as non driving you could build a chassis for that with all the spring/axle box detail added by

yourself. The back wheels could be made to slide from side to side for curves.

E432. 2..JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pat141 said:

If you use a black beetle motor bogie for the front 4 wheels and have the 2 back wheels 

as non driving you could build a chassis for that with all the spring/axle box detail added by

yourself. The back wheels could be made to slide from side to side for curves.

Good thinking.

This thing would have to negotiate curves of 2'9" radius too - forgot to mention that. That type of articulation would help, though i wonder if it might cause exaggerated overswing at one end on curves?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pat141 said:

I was thinking that the motor bogie would turn from it's central mounting screw,

so the back wheels don't need to move sideways.

OK, fair enough....

Looking up the black beetle website, the motor looks quite small - is it of a suitable strength to shunt trains of 7 or 8 bogies equivalent? Perhaps with weighting to the body? the website appears to imply that this little motor is more suited to "self-propelled" vehicles like, presumably, small inspection cars etc.?