Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

The 9F is looking rather tasty! I do like the footplate details too!

As mentioned above the cab window on the drivers side should definitely be glass and not painted over, I’d imagine it’s just an oversight on the pre-production models.

Here’s a couple of reference photos from when I was the fireman of 92134 at the GCR last year, complete with our fish and chips on the hotplate! 😋

6BA2638A-7581-4EBA-B26C-C3A8D889D3C9.jpeg

D6E30A06-7A7B-465F-82B1-9D76A5D07607.jpeg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, am I right in saying Hornby have corrected the spacing of the centre driving wheels?

The gap between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th set looks equal now compared to when they showed the first engineering prototypes which I beleive is now correct as the 9f's had an equal spacing between each axle? 

This looks to be the case. I did have a correspondence with Hornby over this and was assured that it had already been noted and corrected. And this seems to be the case.

I must say it is really shaping up to be a VERY good model. With the driving wheel issue I wasn't sure if I would be replacing my Bachmann models, but now its a winner hands down. the green does seem a little 'bright' (no worse than my current Bachmann model though), as does the orange lining (much prefer the more reddish shade of the Sanda Kan era personally.

Assuming it is mechanically as good as the Britannia (bearings and decent gear train) this really will be the best 9F to date.

R3988_Evening_Star_1.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 01/06/2022 at 12:56, G-BOAF said:

This looks to be the case. I did have a correspondence with Hornby over this and was assured that it had already been noted and corrected. And this seems to be the case.

I must say it is really shaping up to be a VERY good model. With the driving wheel issue I wasn't sure if I would be replacing my Bachmann models, but now its a winner hands down. the green does seem a little 'bright' (no worse than my current Bachmann model though), as does the orange lining (much prefer the more reddish shade of the Sanda Kan era personally.

Assuming it is mechanically as good as the Britannia (bearings and decent gear train) this really will be the best 9F to date.

R3988_Evening_Star_1.png

I wonder if you could do me a favour, what is the distance between the Bachmann front driving wheel axle and the rear wheel axle? Thanks..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, maico said:

I wonder if you could do me a favour, what is the distance between the Bachmann front driving wheel axle and the rear wheel axle? Thanks..

Are you trying to tell me the Bachmann wheelbase is wrong (and probably due to flange depth it might be a little on the generous side)? Even if it is, at least all wheels are equidistant.... as they now are on the Hornby model

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Are you trying to tell me the Bachmann wheelbase is wrong (and probably due to flange depth it might be a little on the generous side)? Even if it is, at least all wheels are equidistant.... as they now are on the Hornby model

No, I just want the total length please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, maico said:

I hope these images will suffice. From the front axle to the rear, the length is 8.75cm. Front axle to rear on the prototype is 6.604m, which scales down to 8.68cm, .08cm out but that’s almost nothing. 

B2967614-B848-4F3A-8E3F-A37D17753721.jpeg

30CD4D6B-22A8-4EF2-86E0-F6A40DAFADC3.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added measurements.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I hope these images will suffice. From the front axle to the rear, the length is 8.75cm. Front axle to rear on the prototype is 6.604m, which scales down to 8.68cm, .08cm out but that’s almost nothing. 

30CD4D6B-22A8-4EF2-86E0-F6A40DAFADC3.jpeg

To be honest, most plastic rulers are so inaccurate that the 0.08cm could be the ruler. 

Roy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

To be honest, most plastic rulers are so inaccurate that the 0.08cm could be the ruler. 

Roy

Yeah exactly. Unfortunately I can’t find my metal rule atm. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

When did we start using foreign measurements to measure things built in Imperial? Far easier to use normal feet and inches.

5 foot 5 inches between driving wheels. 21 foot 8 inches driving wheelbase. 

Round them up or down slightly and you get 22mm and 87mm. 

Here's the proper weight diagram.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/9F diagram.jpg

Jason

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

When did we start using foreign measurements to measure things built in Imperial? Far easier to use normal feet and inches.

5 foot 5 inches between driving wheels. 21 foot 8 inches driving wheelbase. 

Round them up or down slightly and you get 22mm and 87mm. 

Here's the proper weight diagram.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/9F diagram.jpg

Jason

I am in New Zealand so it’s metric here. As you didn’t ask the question I don’t see it’s your problem anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been looking closer at the decorated samples and it shows the front steps attached to the footplate this time. Very glad about this. They always looked odd swinging with the front pony truck. Be interesting to see if and how it affects use of the front coupling. 

CC576CE0-743E-455A-B928-F155B642DC29.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added photo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, markw said:

I don't think it is, there is clearly a large gap above the top step where you can see right through the chassis to the white background.

Yes but this bit connects to the step and up to the bufferbeam. 

1F238DB5-70B1-43B9-95B7-1010AED8B0D3.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm

I’d like to see it from this angle as it’s not clear how close to the prototype they have achieved given the constraints of needing an nem pocket etc

E4231DC4-2D80-4AF9-A3F6-CB7C7478AAB5.jpeg.f42dbce0088d22f3a31ce27eda113329.jpeg

certainly the bracing is not there

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

New surprise in the Engine Shed this month. New figures being supplied correctly painted and properly posed for different loco types with certain new models. 9F, A1/A3/A4 and a few diesels too. Great development I think. And before anyone starts the copy cat accusing, Hornby are supplying them free with the models. Accurascale are making people pay for them. 

1F2CD863-7EEC-45D2-BCD8-E924F10AABC9.jpeg

BF7C4BF9-6E41-4F2D-9434-F98A095A051B.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

New surprise in the Engine Shed this month. New figures being supplied correctly painted and properly posed for different loco types with certain new models. 9F, A1/A3/A4 and a few diesels too. Great development I think. And before anyone starts the copy cat accusing, Hornby are supplying them free with the models. Accurascale are making people pay for them. 

Er….thank you for the little homily.However,it may or not have escaped your attention that there is also a not inconsiderable  difference in the basic price of the products of each. Frankly,I should think H  should supply without further financial disturbance 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Must be an ex S&D Jt man with that red tie 😇  Nice  new jean jacket as well - they didn't last long that bright as a couple of sessions in washing soda got most of the colour out of them.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Excellent news - I have one of those (92167 - Saltley loco) on order and am looking forward to receiving it. A surprise bonus that the crew feature is provided free of charge (and in pristine outfits to match the ex works loco 😀 ). 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Er….thank you for the little homily.However,it may or not have escaped your attention that there is also a not inconsiderate difference in the basic price of the products of each. Frankly,I should think H  should supply without further financial disturbance 

I suspect we should never look a gift horse in the mouth - especially an unexpected one  😉  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it will be a lovely model. Evening Star might be almost as much of a kettle cliche as Flying Scotsman but I am guessing there is a good reason manufacturers value having a model of it and it is both a very significant bit of railway history and a wonderful looking locomotive. The 9F was perhaps the ultimate evolution of the steam locomotive in Britain and has a huge following, it's no different to seeing all sorts of manufacturers making models of the Class 37 and 47 and re-tooling them to stay current.

As regards whether I'll buy one, I'll wait and see. I love the 9F but see nothing wrong with the Bachmann model (quite the opposite) and even the old Hornby model scrubs up well with a little work. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2