Hornby 2021 - Revised tooling A1 and A3

AY Mod

3 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Just noticed they also appear to have changed the driving wheels on FS, much thicker (and better imho) metal tyres than the old tooling. Anyone know if they're the same (but painted) on the LNER versions?

Hoping they might also appear on the upcoming coronation A4s. 

They look to be the same on the LNER version, BUT they are missing the black lining on the driving wheels. The front bogie wheels have the correct lining. I think the larger bare metal looks worse, not because it looks bad, because not every wheel is like that, like on the Dapol steam locos, but that is just my opinion. 

As for the A4's I hope they reused the rebuilt W1 wheels, as those are brilliant. Idk why they didn't use them for the A3's as well. (If there is no detail differences between the two sets)

14 hours ago, Ribird said:

They look to be the same on the LNER version, BUT they are missing the black lining on the driving wheels. The front bogie wheels have the correct lining. I think the larger bare metal looks worse, not because it looks bad, because not every wheel is like that, like on the Dapol steam locos, but that is just my opinion. 

As for the A4's I hope they reused the rebuilt W1 wheels, as those are brilliant. Idk why they didn't use them for the A3's as well. (If there is no detail differences between the two sets)

Agreed it looks a bit odd with the skinny tyres on the bogie wheels.

The W1 wheels do look fantastic. Interestingly the latest P2 sample has thick tyres on all the loco wheels, though at least the pony wheels appear otherwise to be unchanged in shape, rather than copying the W1's with the larger (and more accurate) centre.

On 14/05/2022 at 03:37, AdamOrmorod said:

Agreed it looks a bit odd with the skinny tyres on the bogie wheels.

The W1 wheels do look fantastic. Interestingly the latest P2 sample has thick tyres on all the loco wheels, though at least the pony wheels appear otherwise to be unchanged in shape, rather than copying the W1's with the larger (and more accurate) centre.

It is really odd indeed! Good catch with the P2 sample! The front pony is different than the A3 just released, and obviously different than the W1. 

So that's mean there's "3" different driving wheels types for the A3/A4s haha! And at least "3" front bogie types. 

Noticed the review sample(s?) of Knight of the Thistle sent out to the magazines didn't have red lining on the cylinder casing - was this omitted on North British-built locos or is it an error by Hornby?

The in-stock images for the likes of Hattons and Kernow also show no lining on Knight of the Thistle, but lined cylinders for Hornby's revised tooling Doncaster A1. 

5 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

was this omitted on North British-built locos or is it an error by Hornby?

Or is it to do with where the locos were overhauled? 2564 and the other Scottish A1s were overhauled at Cowlairs rather than Doncaster until 1931.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have an opportunity to acquire the latest Hornby Flying Scotsman with the die cast running plate.

hornby-r3991-early-br-a3-60103-flying-scotsman-reduced-56987-p.jpg.abe8a40619456a30c70df5b423efa08e.jpg

If I go ahead, it will replace my Hornby NRM special edition FS.  This is the factory weathered version, which I rather like as way too many FS models are too ex-works for my liking.

77619436_s-l300(1).jpg.c14fa31e0f8316dc503c06b20c5ff783.jpg

I appreciate that the new version is R/H drive, applicable to a fairly limited time frame - up to 1954 if I remember correctly, early crest and no smoke deflectors

The NRM version is L/H drive, late crest with German smoke deflectors but no die cast footplate.

What do the RMWeb cogniscenti think about how these two versions compare?

Many thanks

Steve

• Like 1

I  have the weathered 1963 version from a few years ago. As it looked prior to handover to Pegler. I quite like it, bit of a rough runner at first , but the plastic footplate is straight and it runs ok now.

I used it to demostrate SPROG DCC here

Edited by Coldgunner

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just had a pleasant surprise looking at Knight of the Thistle and Doncaster (R3989 and R3990).  They both represent A1s in LNER livery, and they have the die-cast foot plate.

I had noticed that Doncaster has bucket seats and the raised cab cut outs while Knight of Thistle has the earlier lower seats and deeper cab cut outs.

However today I noticed something else I had missed before. The steam pipes on Knight of the Thistle transition to being more vertical at their foot. That is correct for a North British Built A1 and I haven't noticed Hornby modelling it before.  I am pretty sure they continue in a  straight line on Doncaster as they should for a Doncaster built A1. It is hard to be completely certain as Doncaster has the lengthened valve covers but I think on Knight of the Thistle the turn under starts above where the valve cover plate would be.

The reversing rod on both models is straight, without the correct North British kink in it for Knight of the Thistle, but I recently changed one of those for a different loco and can do for this one, especially now that I have realised Hornby have made the more difficult variation on the external steam pipes.

IMG_3731.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can't believe that it's taken this long for me to notice. I kept looking at the front end and felt something was wrong. 

The front steps are missing. A casualty of the retooled footplate?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, davidw said:

I can't believe that it's taken this long for me to notice. I kept looking at the front end and felt something was wrong. 

The front steps are missing. A casualty of the retooled footplate?

Perhaps in a plastic bag to glue on yourself, what do expect for that price!! 😜

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I received my Hornby 2573 Harvester today, R30216. Harvester was one of the 5 LNER A1s converted to A3s early and so a right hand drive A3 which is nice to have represented.

The model has no assembly defects that I can see so far.

It runs nicely, and the wheel back to back measurements are good on this example.

The metal stamped reversing lever is on the right as it should be, and has the North British built kink, both of which are correct. The ashpan lever is on the left.

The body molding is like Doncaster, Lemberg and Knight of the Thistle  from last year, so without the often visible top seam from the pre-metal running plate models. This new arrangement looks much better in my opinion. The running plate is nice and straight.

The LNER green finish is a little different to previous Hornby examples. It is just like the paint finish on the recent Hornby Dublo releases, and also seems similar to me to Bachmann's LNER green version on their V2s.

The tender connection is the new pivoting plate version with 4 connectors that snaps together and apart. It works fine and is closer coupled than the plug and wire version out of the box. However that plug version was easy to close up the gap just by making a new draw bar. I have not figured out how to close couple this up yet without some irreversible modification.

The description says it is 21 pin, but I have not opened the tender up yet to see. The printed instructions show both 8 and 21 pin socket versions.

The detail pack includes driver and fireman.

The tender wheels are spoked, but green. I will probably re- paint those black.

The only issue I have found so far is that the bogie wheels are mysteriously too small.  They are easy to swap with the previous version; swapping the wheels or the whole bogie assembly, both of which fit fine. I am surprised about this specification change as the previous releases were all correct. I have been in touch with Hornby about this in the hope they may change the specification back to the correct size for future models.

Overall though it seems like a correctly detailed and well assembled model. I am very happy with it.

Tom

IMG_3969.jpg

Edited by Dominion
added "correctly detailed"
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

The Green looks like all the other Hornby versions  to my eyes ?. Bachmann are a much lighter shade of Green.

Windows look a bit deep/wide  , measurements are ?

Shame  the Red lining is far wider on the Frame Tops than on the rest of the Loco. Poor quality control at a guess.

Nothing there to make me want to buy (yet another) one.

Has this one got Front Steps?.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick, the front steps are in the bag.

You are quite right that the shade is darker than the Bachmann LNER green.

To me though the tone is similar as they are both a little more yellow than the previous Hornby LNER green.

Edited by Dominion
Added colour comment ...
  • Like 1

A guy on the Hornby Forum would really like to know if it is a 21 pin or 8 pin DCC socket. As you said the box says 21 pin but when he opened it up is was 8 pin. He would like to know if his is a one off or whether they are all like that. I gather Hornby have run out of 21 pin DCC pcbs, well that was what he got told. Nice loco though.

Edited by ColinB
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2023 at 18:37, Dominion said:

I received my Hornby 2573 Harvester today, R30216. Harvester was one of the 5 LNER A1s converted to A3s early and so a right hand drive A3 which is nice to have represented.

The model has no assembly defects that I can see so far.

It runs nicely, and the wheel back to back measurements are good on this example.

The metal stamped reversing lever is on the right as it should be, and has the North British built kink, both of which are correct. The ashpan lever is on the left.

The body molding is like Doncaster, Lemberg and Knight of the Thistle  from last year, so without the often visible top seam from the pre-metal running plate models. This new arrangement looks much better in my opinion. The running plate is nice and straight.

The LNER green finish is a little different to previous Hornby examples. It is just like the paint finish on the recent Hornby Dublo releases, and also seems similar to me to Bachmann's LNER green version on their V2s.

The tender connection is the new pivoting plate version with 4 connectors that snaps together and apart. It works fine and is closer coupled than the plug and wire version out of the box. However that plug version was easy to close up the gap just by making a new draw bar. I have not figured out how to close couple this up yet without some irreversible modification.

The description says it is 21 pin, but I have not opened the tender up yet to see. The printed instructions show both 8 and 21 pin socket versions.

The detail pack includes driver and fireman.

The tender wheels are spoked, but green. I will probably re- paint those black.

The only issue I have found so far is that the bogie wheels are mysteriously too small.  They are easy to swap with the previous version; swapping the wheels or the whole bogie assembly, both of which fit fine. I am surprised about this specification change as the previous releases were all correct. I have been in touch with Hornby about this in the hope they may change the specification back to the correct size for future models.

Overall though it seems like a correctly detailed and well assembled model. I am very happy with it.

Tom

IMG_3969.jpg

On the positive side, the expansion link bracket is better formed than usual and mostly avoids the unprototypical flange across the top where it is folded.  An easy upgrade for the buyer would be to paint it black as per the real thing.  

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ColinB said:

A guy on the Hornby Forum would really like to know if it is a 21 pin or 8 pin DCC socket. As you said the box says 21 pin but when he opened it up is was 8 pin. He would like to know if his is a one off or whether they are all like that. I gather Hornby have run out of 21 pin DCC pcbs, well that was what he got told. Nice loco though.

I just checked mine, it is also an 8 pin, not 21.

A bit awkward for me as I had already bought an A3 sound project for a 21 pin decoder. 

21 minutes ago, Dominion said:

I just checked mine, it is also an 8 pin, not 21.

A bit awkward for me as I had already bought an A3 sound project for a 21 pin decoder. 

The guy on the Hornby Forum contacted Hornby to ask whether it was a mistake and got issued a free 8 pin decoder. Thanks for the info though, I will relay the information.

On 31/05/2023 at 18:37, Dominion said:

Could you possibly show a comparison between the bogie wheels from older releases?

• 2 months later...
On 31/05/2023 at 19:37, Dominion said:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for testing this A 3 model. Good to see that the ski jump footplate issue seems to be resolved. May I kindly ask you to check if the spokes of the wheels are still made of plastics?

Cheers,

Mark  

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just picked up "Knight of the Thistle" from The Model Centre at £126 which , if correct , is about £100 less than RRP .  Running in on the layout just now . She looks superb . At that price I'm very happy !   They still have some in stock and I know they have been selling them at that price for 2 or 3 months . They must have had a large stock . 

Well done to The Model Centre too . Ordered Sunday night (after a few glasses of red wine) arrived Tuesday lunchtime . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2023 at 04:51, Guardian said:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for testing this A 3 model. Good to see that the ski jump footplate issue seems to be resolved. May I kindly ask you to check if the spokes of the wheels are still made of plastics?

Cheers,

Mark  

Sorry for the long delay Mark, yes they are. It Runs very smoothly.