Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Steady, lad!

Just saying.............

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks very cool, no match truck either. (The other didnt really need it).

I just about remeber “20” as a kid, it was the shunter that had a number that didnt make sense, and was so small compared to everything else, and never seem to go anywhere.

as its not with a match truck, maybe it needs a weltrol..

(not my image / url)

Departmental - 20 - Ruston & Hornsby Type 88DS 0-4-0DM Shunter - built 1957 by Ruston & Hornsby for use in Reading Signal Works - 1973 renumber 97 020 - withdrawn 08/82.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Given that Hornby have done/are doing two of the preserved DVLR Rustons I think when next years new release specualation fest kicks off I'll be taking a look at their stock-list for my predictions.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I just about remeber “20” as a kid, it was the shunter that had a number that didnt make sense, and was so small compared to everything else, and never seem to go anywhere.

(not my image / url)

Departmental - 20 - Ruston & Hornsby Type 88DS 0-4-0DM Shunter - built 1957 by Ruston & Hornsby for use in Reading Signal Works - 1973 renumber 97 020 - withdrawn 08/82.

This'll be a buy it / strip it / paint it job for me - the above is the livery that I want - but is it black or green?

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

(not my image / url)

the three equal sized sections below the running plate look very roughly surfaced. i'm not certain what i'm actually looking at? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, peak experience said:

the three equal sized sections below the running plate look very roughly surfaced. i'm not certain what i'm actually looking at? 

They are weights, which vary in design and size, depending on the variant...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

This'll be a buy it / strip it / paint it job for me - the above is the livery that I want - but is it black or green?

John Isherwood.

I’m not going to even pretend to know much about this loco... I never saw it move... it was always dumped in the same place, forever, until it was gone and an 06 was there instead.

But in the picture, it has a protusion from the engine compartment (in place of one of the doors) that I cannot make out on the model pictures Hornby depicted.

Black or Green above.. In B+ W its hard to know, but the buffers look pretty close match the body colour, if I were on trial i’d say Black in that picture.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

But in the picture, it has a protusion from the engine compartment (in place of one of the doors) that I cannot make out on the model pictures Hornby depicted.

That’s the Donkey Engine cover, it’s on one side only and can be in one of two positions, depending on the variant. It’s on the Hornby models....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Islesy said:

That’s the Donkey Engine cover, it’s on one side only and can be in one of two positions, depending on the variant. It’s on the Hornby models....

Fascinating little shunter, it’ll be 20 for me, though renumbered as 97020.

no idea what i’ll do with it, probably same as my childhood.. nothing, with derelict looking stock either side.

maybe next year a class 06 can join it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mark Dickerson said:

I hazarded a Ruston on the "hopes" thread on the basis of the two sizes of Peckett, but thought the Kernow/Heljan PWM shunters might make this less likely. Excellent news. No linked wagon, so I wonder if there will be a flywheel in the mechanism.

As to liveries, I have to admit that I was looking for the BR Green one when I saw the announcement, but yes, I suppose 50% "mainline" liveries might be seen as a little safe. That said, I could almost see the Rail Blue in a train set as latter-day GW 101...

7 hours ago, Ben B said:

That would be great- an 88 with either a single mk.one, or a 4wheel coach and standard brake van, for a smaller preserved line atmosphere :)

Soon be plenty of four and six wheel stock to choose from.:D

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Neil said:

Given that Hornby have done/are doing two of the preserved DVLR Rustons I think when next years new release specualation fest kicks off I'll be taking a look at their stock-list for my predictions.

They've a pretty eccentric roster at the DVLR, though Bachmann have the 03/04 covered.  Their jackshaft-driven "Churchill" (a Fowler I think) is rather nice, and a survivor of the original DVLR company.  Might make a nice prototype for a new 00 shunter :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm building an 88DS from a judith edge kit and my first reaction to the Hornby images were a bit underwhelming with the look of that full-frame chassis block. It doesn't do a lot for the look of the prototype. Is it a final chassis design? 

• Like 1

Oooh, this looks interesting! I suspect blue 20 is going to prove irresistible......

I've been checking these locos in MLI 222 and Strathwood's 'Looking Back at Diesel Shunters I' and note that none of the BR (NE) green versions have the solebar weights illustrated under the lengthy legend, so this model will require the 'unweighted' chassis shown under the yellow 'North British' model (at least we can assume it will exist from this one). Also, the BR late crests appear to have been all the correct left-facing versions, not the right-facing one shown (I appreciate that it's early days and these are only illustrations). It would appear that any of these which were repainted green with wasp stripes lost the lining in the process - at least a couple in lined green had their radiator casings painted orange in later years! No idea what colour the cab rears were on these.......

The Strathwood book contains two colour shots of Reading Signal Works No 20 in its pre-blue guise..........are we sure it was black and not green? Comparing the solebar weights to the bodywork, the latter could be green, but I've had this trouble before trying to tell grubby green from black in colour photos - lighting plays a big part. Can anyone living in the Reading area at the time (1957-70) confirm?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, MattA said:

Does anyone know more about the history of 432478 (The BR green one, No. 84)? That'll tell me how much I need to alter the course of history to justify one on my layout!

Just apply rule 1.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Ben B said:

They've a pretty eccentric roster at the DVLR, though Bachmann have the 03/04 covered.  Their jackshaft-driven "Churchill" (a Fowler I think) is rather nice, and a survivor of the original DVLR company.  Might make a nice prototype for a new 00 shunter :)

Actually the DVLR is very model-able and I'm surprised it's not more popular. Out of the current roster we have the two Rustons as well as the blue 03 from Bachmann. Presumably it would be easy to renumber it as 03079.

Going back a bit, they used 04s repainted in company livery as well as loaned 08s (I think?). The preserved J72 and Hardwicke operated excursion trains, again from the Bachmann stable.

• Like 1