Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

What you are looking at there is not the original livery.

68106313_DEPARTMENTALER83.jpg.020c873a82e5d34cf28024dd9582bac6.jpg

Copyright unknown

Look closely - the faded remains of the lining, as per Hornby's model, are present.

..... and here https://railphotoprints.uk/p852530460/h959512F7#h959512f7

John Isherwood.

The lining was, I believe, pale green; I suspect that this was Ruston's standard finish, over which the BR crest and cabside lettering were applied.

Regards.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The lining was, I believe, pale green; I suspect that this was Ruston's standard finish, over which the BR crest and cabside lettering were applied.

Regards.

John Isherwood.

Going by the coating of grime on them they didn't stay in the condition as modelled by Hornby for very long.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Any news on when this may appear?

Thanks

steve

On 20/11/2021 at 23:38, Paul.Uni said:

The locos have been removed from the coming soon page. The individual model pages now state 'Expected Winter 2023'.

another year to go it seems. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Current date is

‘Current’ is the problem as the dates change so much they are pretty worthless, the coronation coaches say 23 at the moment after saying 22 for ages, we haven’t seen a actual prototype yet of the 88DS let alone painted sample?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

we haven’t seen a actual prototype yet of the 88DS let alone painted sample?

Great Gresleys, Stunning Shunters and Complex Coaches :: Hornby Hobbies

Hornby Signal Box | Midland Pullman plus Ruston & Hornsby 88DS - YouTube

No - No one has

• Like 1

ISTR the Sentinels appeared in the shops about the same time as we saw the finished article in the Engine Shed blog thing.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/industrial-guardians-railway-world

As for the Rustons, here's the video referred to above. Must admit I don't really watch them....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just come across this photo on Flickr which shows a loco operated by Balfour Beatty during Tyne & Wear Metro construction:

Balfour Beatty diesel loco Chichester (Tyne & Wear)

It definitely looks 88DS-shaped to me. Does anyone have any further details on the identity of this loco?

Cheers,

Liam

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 26/06/2022 at 19:52, Steamport Southport said:

ISTR the Sentinels appeared in the shops about the same time as we saw the finished article in the Engine Shed blog thing.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/industrial-guardians-railway-world

As for the Rustons, here's the video referred to above. Must admit I don't really watch them....

The date they put that video on Youtube is 12th Feb 2021. Eighteen months on, and we've heard nothing. There have even been Hornby products appear in the shops since then that were never even announced and still no 88DS. What on Earth are they playing at?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I've had two on pre-order with Frizinghall Models for so long I'd genuinely forgotten until opening this post up. So long ago that I've pretty much abandoned the planned layout they were being bought for.

I'd be tempted to have a TT version mind... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has there been any news on these? I couldn't make any of the recent exhibitions, but wondered if it was the usual decorated samples around, but no news on releases. I've had two on pre-order now for so long that my interest in 00 has pretty much flared and died off in the meantime. I'm hoping finally getting the models will prompt a return of enthusiasm for the scale, because right now I'm wondering if Hornby are about to quietly drop the model altogether...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...