RB3 railbus - hopefully

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Along felt want has crashed into the world, a bit of down time allowed a read of Dhu Varren of this parish and his lovely rendition on IRM forum and so Hornby 142 bodies  and a efe leyand buses meet saws glue, and indecent haste , to this stage.

963063984_IrishRB3plus251220005.jpg.2ab8fbb9664778329e6d3eaf655feb34.jpg

1034259336_IrishRB3plus251220010.jpg.dff4236820f1ea12362dd7b559e44775.jpg

The Hornby sides get chopped with window ahead of doors removed and then at other end 2 more sections added in, plasticard skirt and strip reinforce joins. Bus met its maker in short order - roof is a separate casting but two roofs shortened and pacer hearing pod over join - and a bit of filler where I got it wrong ( tale of my modelling!) The ends were cut and cleaned up , a plasticard pad glued on back to allow a glued box for strength. But not to worry as I used Lockite "extreme glue" - a super glue gel with flexible properties  . First pic shows progress while Sprouts boil!!  Second shows door efforts - some cleaning up done but a "cruel" enlargement - my excuse.

Chassis in the spin dryer that is my tiny mind so have to work out best way forward - two pacer drives perhaps with wobble mounts for road holding.. or something in the bits boxes and a wagon wheel W iron on a compensated mount.

Keep me in or out of mischief for a  while anyway.   I wonder if the sprouts done yet? 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well after a series of fill and sand I got some grey gloss on yesterday.

1519353719_Irishwagonsandrailbus090121008.jpg.6387ade0090d1d5bdfe54850670a1023.jpg

467678882_Irishwagonsandrailbus090121009.jpg.8e77033b4cce73c05e132236f3774777.jpg

The sanding process was extended as I got the roof side joins stepped so one end was overlapped and the other not too bad- square castings of roof not matching my square plastic body !  I can add archer rivets but this then messes up masking and in phots they hardly show compared to window ones. Door handrails to hide the end join which looks better in the plastic.  Ebay purchases for glazing  and next job to mask for white roof a section and think about the blue sides.  Transfers for NIR and Railbus could well be next to get colour match for the NIR intercity early blue.  Pacer underframe also off ebay so then its the power and wheels - nothing like building a model back to front, but given how reliable it was in real life a shed queen always a possible outcome.. 

• Like 5