Freight only micro layout: for sale

Good  to see some more photo's and that tree is coming along nicely. I've been looking back at your posts really like the colours and finish you get with your wagons, I'd love to know your secrets, do you airbrush at all and I know you used Vallejo paints on the hut, do you use them a lot? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sb67 said:

Good  to see some more photo's and that tree is coming along nicely. I've been looking back at your posts really like the colours and finish you get with your wagons, I'd love to know your secrets, do you airbrush at all and I know you used Vallejo paints on the hut, do you use them a lot? 

Hi Steve, thanks for your comment. 

I airbrush almost all parts of my wagons, I only use a brush for detail painting. 

Ironically I do use Vallejo paint, but only for brush painting! For airbrushing, it's mainly Tamiya acrylics mixed by eye.

However, it probably would be possible to get a similar finish with the brush and all my recent buildings have been brush painted using Vallejo paints.

Matt

I've really enjoyed my brief tree modelling side project, hopefully I can squeeze a few smaller ones in if possible!

Tree03

Downside is I haven't a clue what colour/which brand the scatter I used for the foliage is!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Painting underway on the house which forms the scene-block at the left hand end. Obviously still a work in progress but feels good to get a bit of colour on the white plastic.

H5

H6

I need to glaze the windows and paint the door before I can start on the roof as access will be impossible afterwards. 

Matt

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First off, I'm in the process of building this...store room...toilet...hut...

Not quite finished yet and there are a few unpainted bits but you get the idea.

Z3

Z4

I've also been working on this Dapol brake van. I actually built it, and did most of the work back in 2018, but then it got forgotten about. Part of the reason for this were the handrails.

My initial plan was just to keep the moulded items in place but, compared to my other stock that has wire handrails/handles, it was clear it needed doing. Removing them would have been far easier before building the kit though!

BV6

Matt

• Like 10

On 20/04/2022 at 17:10, Enfys_Rainbow said:

The budget brake van is finished!

Markings are mainly from Railtec.

BV7

BV8

BV9

Was it worth the effort? I think so - the handrails were fiddly but worth it and I think it'd stand up well next to more modern RTR versions. 

Matt

You have a enviable touch with tones of colours...lovely.

May be next time your paint brushes out a step by step quite for us who aren't as fortunate? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the comments about my budget brake van!

Continuing the same themes: brake vans and resurrecting old models, here's the next project. 

BV2A

I started building this back in 2019 as a mess van to accompany a crane I was building. Fast forward to now, and the crane is no closer to being finished than it was then. 

Browsing the Bartlett site, I came across this:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbrakevan/h18c6e2a4

Very similar and will make a nice change to the more usual types of BV's.

This kit doesn't include duckets, so they've been borrowed from another Parkside kit. Unfortunately I'll have to cannibalise that kit some more because I cannot find the rest of bits, despite looking everywhere. 

BV2B

Matt

• Like 7

Rapid progress and we're ready for the paintshop already. 

BV10

Few small cosmetic additions to bring it in line with my other stock, but that's pretty much it.

Matt

Oops: just noticed the steps are missing!

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 9

Here's the completed model!

LMSBV1

The photos on the Bartlett site are from separate years, so I've taken the features I like from both periods and tried to represent them!

One photo suggests some replacement planking at one end which I've suggested (visible above).

The markings are also in the right locations-ish although there are many liberties and errors I'm sure.

LMSBV2

LMSBV3

LMSBV4

I'm bored of bauxite now, so I think my next project will be in grey/yellow for some variety!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Thanks Kevin.

Another day, another brake van!

I've got a real soft spot for the BR (ex-LMS) 20t brake vans. I had several of the old Airfix/Dapol ones and was pretty pleased when Hornby released the all-new version a few years ago.

What I wasn't pleased with was the drooping and floppy handrails on my model. I chopped them off quite a while ago and then forgot all about it.

Anyway, seeing as I'm in the mood for completing older, half-built models, I dug it out and dusted it off.

When you disassemble the model and remove the inner ends and the floor, it becomes quite fragile and vulnerable to damage. I promptly snapped one end off completely so some repairs were needed.

I've made some basic additions, just to bring it in line with other stock but other than that, it's ready for new handrails and then a repaint. Hornby supply pipes but they look ever so slightly overscale to me so I replaced them with some from Lanarkshire Models.

Matt

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Looks nice Matt, it's great to see some engineering colours.

It's funny how we all have differing viewpoints, I'd fully agree with the first sentiment, but disagree equally with the second!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's funny how we all have differing viewpoints, I'd fully agree with the first sentiment, but disagree equally with the second!

Mike.

Mike that's the great thing about our hobby, everyone is different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1