Freight only micro layout: for sale

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Too easily distracted....I could have built two layouts by now!

or if you are like me finished a few projects......what actually happens is I start more projects......ho hum...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2022 at 22:07, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hi all,

Back on track with some wagons. The stripped down Vanwide has been painted and weathered. Just needs markings now:

V01

And this BR Fruit Van is on the go - no real reason why, mainly just for some variation in my van fleet:

F01

Matt

Can't have too many vans!

Mike.

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: micro building

Hi all,

A while ago I built a garage - I've mentioned before that it's surplus to requirements and the door has already been repurposed elsewhere.

Apart from just not fitting the space, there are many things I like about that building, and I want to recycle as many bits as I can.

So here's a micro building made entirely of reused bits of the garage. I had to do some repairs and repainting, but otherwise it's just reusing existing bits.

Outbuilding01

Outbuilding02

Outbuilding03

It's going to be used as an outbuilding of sorts as below:

Outbuilding04

Matt

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Been away from this thread and layout for a while as I'd taken a detour down a 7mm avenue.

I was surfing the internet recently looking for nothing in particular when I came across a photo of a building that just called out to be modelled.

Suitably inspired, I set to work creating a version of it. The walls are from card this time rather than my more usual foamboard or plastic sheet.

The real building has an interesting mix of stone and brick on the end walls which I was keen to try and replicate. In my case the brick is embossed plastic, while the stonework is scribed DAS clay. I don't find scribing DAS very enjoyable but the beauty is it's easy to repair if something goes wrong!

Stone02

Stone01

Everything here has been painted with acrylic paints - please ignore the single white brick - I accidentally chipped the paint off!

The strange shape of the walls is so it fits over various bits of the baseboard.

Long way to go but I'm pleased so far.

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 17

Bit more progress to share.

Stone05

Stone06

Note that the section under the lower window is yet to be painted properly.

The roof is temporary - I'm undecided whether to have a corrugated or slate roof yet. This is another leftover from the garage.

The door is obviously a mock up too, and the upper window is still under construction.

Getting somewhere now though!

Does it need a chimney? What do you think?

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 9

Another fine building! I guess I would ask what the building is used for as to whether to have a chimney, it looks great as it is, but a small rusting chimney added would equally look good with some moss and staining around the base. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Matt!

You have created a really nice building!

In my opinion, whether the building needs a chimney depends on its current and/or previous use. Let's assume that today it is only used as a storage room, but earlier as a workshop - then a chimney is quite plausible...

I wish you lots of fun and success with modeling , keep it up!

Best regards,

ThomasG 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Change of scenery today and two old projects back on the bench (at least until I get bored of them again anyway!).

First up is another old wagon, built and painted several years ago but about to be reworked.

First time around I actually did quite a nice job of the rust, but then I applied too heavy a wash which gave the whole thing a strange, brown tint. Yes it looks awful at the moment, but this is all about trying to change the overall shade back to something a bit greyer without stripping it right down to the plastic.

Secondly is this Bachmann 08. Started 4 - 5 years ago for a clay layout idea which never came to be. I didn't like the look of the original bodyside grab handles, so in a moment of foolishness, decided to replace them all. No wonder my enthusiasm quickly wanted!

The model, as bought (second hand) was missing the steps. I was originally going to use etched ones from PH Designs, but my inability to solder turned that into a non-starter. So these are 3d printed ones with (yet more) scratchbuilt handrails.

It'll be finished in faded BR Blue eventually.

Matt

• Like 12

Bit more Class 08 progress to share and it's not far from being ready to be repainted.

I've done a bit of tweaking to the tanks under the front bufferbeam to improve the appearance, plus I'll be replacing the glazing.

As mentioned in my previous post, it'll be BR Blue, but I've not decided which loco yet. Any suggestions?

Matt

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Bit more Class 08 progress to share and it's not far from being ready to be repainted.

I've done a bit of tweaking to the tanks under the front bufferbeam to improve the appearance, plus I'll be replacing the glazing.

As mentioned in my previous post, it'll be BR Blue, but I've not decided which loco yet. Any suggestions?

Matt

A dirty oily unloved one!

• Like 2

On 19/09/2022 at 18:45, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hello all,

Been away from this thread and layout for a while as I'd taken a detour down a 7mm avenue.

I was surfing the internet recently looking for nothing in particular when I came across a photo of a building that just called out to be modelled.....

Ah, tempted by other scales - we've all been there! Or is it just you & I Matt? I suspect not ;) 

That building is looking superb good sir. Great modelling, as ever 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

The 08 looks good Matt, dirty and faded blue would look good.

Dirty faded and oily on a wet miserable day in November day as you start the engine at 0600hrs and cab heating starts to warm up by 1345 ....15 mins before you go home after knocking wagons around all morning the only warmth was your brew as you clutched hold of it shivering...give me a 220. Walm in winter cool in summer .....I would still rather spend 8 hrs on a 08!

• Like 2