Freight only micro layout: for sale

Not quite finished yet: still the roof to paint, weathering to do and a few more markings to apply but I wanted to share this photo. Despite the fiddliness involved, I hope this shows the improvement that can be gained from sorting out the handrails. 

Onto the next project, and it's another brake van!

Again an old Airfix kit forms the basis, but with modifications that include representing an example with sheeted ends and roller bearing axle boxes.

Nothing fancy here, just plastic sheet and other bits!

Matt

• Like 11

This hasn't gone to plan.

I had to ditch my plan to recreate roller bearings - after gluing everything together, it developed a wobble that I couldn't fix, despite my best attempts. 

So off with my scratchbuilt solebars and pilfered w-irons and on with the kit ones.

No wobble, but I'm still a bit frustrated/disappointed. 

Random close up pic:

The grey line is filler. When removing the moulded handrails, I managed to gouge the bodywork so it had to be filled.

Matt

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hello all, 

Despite the setbacks, I've made rapid progress. 

One aspect of my other van I wasn't happy with was the veranda doors. As they come, they're really thick and glazing such small openings is a faff to say the least. I didn't bother, and regretted it. This time, I remade the doors from clear plastic sheet and built the frame around it. Much easier to do the glazing this way and has the benefit of being flush glazed!

20220516_091312.jpg.a546afd92186d15982c8f61651263185.jpg

I'm not too far away from the painting now, just need to fit the handrails. 

Matt

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely work on the brake vans. All very inspiring, I've got an ex LMS brake van and I'm looking for a new project! Replacing the handrails fills me with dread though! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sb67 said:

Lovely work on the brake vans. All very inspiring, I've got an ex LMS brake van and I'm looking for a new project! Replacing the handrails fills me with dread though! 

Thanks Steve, go for it I say, makes a world of difference to an old model!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 08:23, Enterprisingwestern said:

Very nice, apart from the livery of course!

Allowing for your mods the Airfix kits scrub up well for nigh on septuagenarians.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, these old kits more than hold their own - probably why an improved kit has never been produced.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all,

I'm back with another random wagon project!

I've mentioned before that I enjoy recycling older wagons, and here's another. This is a Parkside Vanwide, built a couple of years ago and I was never very happy with the paint job (you can see it in its original condition on page 1 of this thread if you can be bothered!). Stripped down, a few simple details added, and it's ready for the paint shop.

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My personal preference, but, I always replace the plastic buffers with white metal equivalents from LMS/MJT/Wizard, I find it adds to their longevity!

Mike.

Me too normally Mike - I do it in 99% of cases. I just don't have the correct type at the moment and buying them goes against my recycling efforts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: recycling

One aspect that has been annoying me was the background low relief building. Shape and size were fine, but what purpose does it serve - no obvious loading/unloading given how close it is to the siding, so I decided I needed to add a loading bay of sorts, just to give some context.

If you've visited this thread before, you may remember I built a garage for the front of the layout. Plans have now changed and this building is surplus to requirements. I really liked the door though, so after a bit of destruction...

A01

And a bit of cutting...

A02

I have a primitive loading bay (not yet finished obviously).

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 10