Freight only micro layout: for sale

Hi all, 

I enjoyed the Ratio van so much I picked up another from eBay. This time I've chosen to represent the diag 1/204 BR built version.

The vertical strapping has been added from microstrip and the underframe is from Parkside. 

12tB

Note the roof is loose here hence the visible gap.

I've also started stripping the paint from an old plywood sided 12t van that I built years ago with the aim of giving it a new paint job.

Matt

• Like 8

Hi all,

I've lost a bit of enthusiasm for working on the layout/buildings so I've been focusing on another item of stock.

I've had this Parkside 12t plywood sided van in storage for a while. Having checked, I actually built and painted it in 2010.

Screenshot_20211130-194458_Google.jpg.de641105611c8f0e466be9842d15aeaa.jpg

Unusually for an old wagon of mine, it runs very nicely (most of my old ones wobble alarmingly!) so I thought I'd give it some TLC.

The paint has been stripped ready for a repaint. The brakegear had become pretty brittle and broke when I was cleaning it up. I've replaced it as best as I can using bits and bobs from the spares box although everything I had was either too long, too short, too big or too small, so there's been a fair bit of fettling involved.

Van01.jpg.18b45d2161675f555405a77c0a5bb5a5.jpg

It'll look OK once painted and weathered!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 13

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: 22t Tube wagon

Hi all,

Been rummaging around in my old stock box again today. I remember seeing this kit being reviewed in BRM (I think) and buying one shortly after.

This is one of two Tube wagons that were probably built when I was in school. There was a bit of cosmetic damage to repair, and I made a few simple tweaks to the brakegear to bring it in line with my other stock from a visual perspective and I also removed the original transfers.

The paintjob/weathering isn't too bad so I think I'll just add to it rather than stripping it and starting again.

Tube2

Hopefully it'll be another quick-ish project - I really do enjoy recycling these old wagons.

Matt

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Christmas! This thread started almost a year ago, I've had a fair few views, comments and likes in that time and I've enjoyed sharing my random updates along the way.

Next year, I might even crack on and get the layout finished...no promises though!

Matt

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Christmas! This thread started almost a year ago, I've had a fair few views, comments and likes in that time and I've enjoyed sharing my random updates along the way.

Next year, I might even crack on and get the layout finished...no promises though!

Matt

Merry Christmas Matt, look forward to more of your modelling.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: Cowans Sheldon 10t crane

Some nice weathering going on there matey.
That crane rebuild is an inspired idea, and an innovative bit of recycling :) 

EDIT: As you say, it's sometimes a good idea to put the layout building aside for a wee while, gather your thoughts and search for inspiration.....
One of the great things about railway modelling is that you can do this easily, by building & weathering stock, figure painting or making a building for instance.

Edited by marc smith
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: small building

Thanks both. Marc, you're completely correct about random side projects. And I've started another one!

The basis of this small building is from individual parts purchased from Lcut a while ago. At the time, I had no real idea what I was going to do with them.

H1

As you can see, I modified the parts because as intended, the door is in the end wall whereas I wanted it at the front of the building. 

I was always going to clad it in embossed sheet and use different windows, so the shell was hacked about to accommodate these. I also added a piece of 5mm foamboard to the bottom to act as a crude foundation to allow it to be bedded into the scenery at a later date.

H2

After cladding the walls, adding windows, a door and details, it's come to life quickly.

A1

A3

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: buildings

Thanks @Kevin Johnson and @Andrew D.

Boring post alert!

Here's (probably) the final "large" (comparatively) building that's needed, to be sited at the front.

20220125_083934.jpg.7ec0c2dbed74d3173313ddcc52596296.jpg

Think garage/local industry. It'll be intentionally a bit of a ragtag of materials - brick walls and corrugated roof and lean to (not shown here).

As ever, walls are 5mm oversize to allow for a foundation. 

Matt

• Like 1

Here's some progress to share. I took advantage of a rare day off to spend some time building. 

After assembling the walls, it was clear that the large door was much too big (practically, realistically and visually) so the hole was reduced with some card offcuts. 

G1

Much better now!

G2

I don't normally like cliché's like "open doors with random items poking into view to disguise the emptiness" but felt it worthwhile in this instance! Oil drums just posed for now.

G3

Finally a photo of the end brick wall. You won't be able to see the obvious "glow" once there's a roof!

G4

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 12