Pre, during and post Lockdown ex LMS Coach Builds

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

During Lockdown 1 I managed to build quite a few coaches.. and even got most of them finished. Some have Comet sides others are from247 Developments. I had acquired a lot of cast ends from the new owner of 247 Models.. Bogies are generally Bachmann but also include Comet and some whitemetal ones. The roof sections are all ex Comet. As it happens the comet roof section fits the comet ends but needs work to get it to fit on a whitemetal ends..

A quick selection..  more are under way and others have been finished but await photos.

1447228705_exLMD1904ABCKCrimsonandcream.JPG.31b5558445f6b4fab750a97759138f4f.JPGPeriod I  BCK reskinned as a "faux" Period III vehicle. I have a maroon one of these I built yonks ago.. and, since the photo the roof has been revisited and fettled!

889591632_exLMPdIBCKcrimsonandcream.JPG.4325996de04df7abffcaae0286d9f28b.JPG

Period I BCK - Comet sides - now lined, door handles fitted and renumbered. The Comet sides for this and other PDI coaches are very flimsy.

307084614_LMRPdIIITKwestdale.JPG.87f905221c688b0c1b5b960b2965e500.JPG

Westdale Period III TK - It now has no smoking signs in the correct windows. This has a Plasticard floor as an experiment.

1070806860_D1999exLMSTOnumber2.JPG.724a1591110e0e0d58c966ee30123cc5.JPG

Period III TO - Comet sides

1389362484_Period3KitchenDinerpair.JPG.5aa3b4b75780befe10f4a4ffbd2609c7.JPG

Period III Kitchen diner pair. 50' Kitchen car (BSL) plus  a 62' unclassified coach from Comet Bits. (I have a Westdale one of these which was the first coach kit I ever built. That one is paired with a BSL 50' Kitchen car .. the second coach kit I ever built).

Baz

Period 3 RTO 65ft.JPG

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• Barry O changed the title to Pre, during and post Lockdown ex LMS Coach Builds
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely bunch Barry. If it is of any use to you, before he died (2016...seems so much less than that), Geoff of Comet was setting up a list of MR coaches that could use Dapol carcases and Comet sides (maybe ends) and other parts. It was for a basic cut and shut jib for those that feared doing a whole metal kit back then.

I fear that Dapol Coach Kits are off the menu at present, however the RTR jobs seem available for about £15. There are, of course, the old Airfix and Mainline RTR as well. I have also used some Hornby Railroad examples but sadly they are a bit 'basic'.

Geoff reckoned that it would cost (without time costs) about  £35 to get a coach sorted to a good layout coach from a kit at £12 back then and often the roof  and ends could remain, thus saving quite a lot of extra bits and work and the shape is a little better than a Comet extruded version. Just a little work sometimes with vents etc.

I expect that you have already sort of discovered this from the look of this great set of builds; they look excellent mate. However, I could dig out the lists if you wanted to have shufty at Geoff's ideas?

Looking forward to seeing a load more.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes please Ducky... 

There was one roof section which was drawn from stock which was to anLMS profile. The die used vanished at some point . Larry G had some but he didn't know where it went.

I  think getting the roofsort3d takes the most time in coach building..at least it does for me.

Have a great 2021 Phil!

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/01/2021 at 14:14, Barry O said:

Yes please Ducky... 

There was one roof section which was drawn from stock which was to anLMS profile. The die used vanished at some point . Larry G had some but he didn't know where it went.

I  think getting the roofsort3d takes the most time in coach building..at least it does for me.

Have a great 2021 Phil!

Baz

You too Baz. I shall attempt to find said list in the loft. I may be some time.......:scared:

• Friendly/supportive 2