YORK for York Show 2023 and beyond

kirmies

I last looked at your thread ages ago and didn't view it in detail. But with a spare hour or so this morning I have gone through the whole thread and am left mesmerised and incredibly impressed, it's brilliant! I have spent a lot of time over the years travelling through York Station (University, work, then social) and I still get a sense of wonder every time I walk past the NER slotted post signal to the concourse. Your model Peter has exactly recreated the scene and that sense of awe. I saw it at Leeds (the mock-up?) last year and the progress since is amazing and reflects a lot of very hard work, design and assembly, plus a lot of thought throughout. And I would add that on a S-Scale Zoom meeting a coupe of weeks ago some of the lads were swooning having seen it at Larkrail. So, a huge well done for this awesome and ground-breaking (like all your layouts) project. If I wore a hat I would doff it in your direction!!   

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2022 at 13:04, Rosedale said:

I last looked at your thread ages ago and didn't view it in detail. But with a spare hour or so this morning I have gone through the whole thread and am left mesmerised and incredibly impressed, it's brilliant! I have spent a lot of time over the years travelling through York Station (University, work, then social) and I still get a sense of wonder every time I walk past the NER slotted post signal to the concourse. Your model Peter has exactly recreated the scene and that sense of awe. I saw it at Leeds (the mock-up?) last year and the progress since is amazing and reflects a lot of very hard work, design and assembly, plus a lot of thought throughout. And I would add that on a S-Scale Zoom meeting a coupe of weeks ago some of the lads were swooning having seen it at Larkrail. So, a huge well done for this awesome and ground-breaking (like all your layouts) project. If I wore a hat I would doff it in your direction!!   

Thanks for the kind words! Larkrail gave me the impetus to get on with it. I'd spent the weeks leading up to it frantically getting it to what I considered a presentable state and, as a consequence, could only see what was wrong.

All the many positive comments on the day and since have helped me see it through different eyes and, whilst there is much still to do, I'm incredibly pleased with the progress so far and how well my initial concept is turning out!

Thanks again!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 5 weeks later...

A question about the LEDs you use.  What colour light are you using?  I'm sure that cool white will bring out all the exquisite detail, but would warm white give the illusion of summer afternoon shafts of sunlight beaming down onto platforms which is such a part of our collective imagination for railway stations?

york-station-trainshed-1-web.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

What I'm using at the moment is described as 'natural white' which, I think, is roughly a 50/50 mix of warm and cool white. To my eye it looks like a pretty good approximation to the light you get in the real station. It'll be easier to tell once more of the model is painted/weathered at which point I may well alter the lighting a bit.

As important to me is the largely shadowless nature of the light under the roof which the frosted clear plastic I'm now using on the skylights seems to capture well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I talked to a friend of mine who does lighting for theatres. He suggested a line of  the golden LED's with a wash of a line of white LED's to bring out the details. He also suggested mounting them with barn doors so that the lighting can be both directional and adjustable.

I'm enjoying your pictures immensely. I take it you're getting your etches from PPD. I trust you're not getting a slap every time you send them some artwork. Some of mine has been questionable (I like to push the envelope) so I've had to give them the disclaimer that if it fails it's due to my design. I've done a small train shed of St Alban's Abbey for a friend but nothing as grand as this.

I like that you're thinking big.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, VRBroadgauge said:

I talked to a friend of mine who does lighting for theatres. He suggested a line of  the golden LED's with a wash of a line of white LED's to bring out the details. He also suggested mounting them with barn doors so that the lighting can be both directional and adjustable.

I'm enjoying your pictures immensely. I take it you're getting your etches from PPD. I trust you're not getting a slap every time you send them some artwork. Some of mine has been questionable (I like to push the envelope) so I've had to give them the disclaimer that if it fails it's due to my design. I've done a small train shed of St Alban's Abbey for a friend but nothing as grand as this.

I like that you're thinking big.

I do use PPD for etching and find them excellent. If you follow their guidelines for minimum dimensions (basically no linear dimension less than 1.2x the metal thickness) you won't go far wrong. If you stray below that not only will they ask you to take responsibility for anything that doesn't come out as planned but also those pieces will be VERY delicate. Better to use thinner metal - I've been experimenting recently with getting some stuff (e.g. window frames) etched in stainless steel which is a much stronger metal than brass or nickel and so thinner sheet can be used giving (following the 1.2x thickness mantra) finer detail. If sand blasted and etch primed, paint sticks to it well enough.

Although custom etching is not cheap, it makes so many things (like the awnings and, indeed, the station roof itself) SO much easier and I find PPD usually deliver sooner than their estimated lead time (usual disclaimers apply!).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I too now use PPD exclusively and can endorse @kirmies comments regarding quality and service.  I have frequently gone down to 0.25mm wide parts (on 0.25mm n/s) and have, up until now, got away with it.  Thinner than that has disappeared.  The last etch I had from them, however, seemed to have got slightly 'over-cooked' and some parts which had etched OK previously were either too fragile or had gone completely.  Just shows that etching is not an exact science.  You pays your money and takes your chance.

Great work on the canopies. Peter!

Jim

• Like 1

I've gotten great service from PPD. Sometimes there's things that have to push the envelope. I've done this a few times and have always received the usual fine results. There have been over 50 wagons built from my designs and etched by PPD to date.

It must be an Australian thing. A friend of mine also uses them and got a slap until he used the disclaimer. :)

The use of stainless for rods is something that I'll probably pursue. I'm still coming to grips with my locomotive designs. Walschaerts gear has been a bit of a challenge but I'm nearly there.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...