Looking for some RC receiver help

collectors

Hi, could I get some help with two questions on connecting this receiver? Its a DMX  3 amp 13v with built in ESC . Now, i know about connecting the power & the motor on the left of the image, but not the L,1,2,3,4,5 part.
1. The leds. I believe i can change the led colour according to which way the train is traveling “white for forward & red for reversing” so when I select F or R on the controller the lights will auto change on the direction the loco is traveling. If forward the led will be white on the front of the train & red on the rear. These will both change to opposite colours when the direction changes .
Do I connect NO:2 from both led’s to L on the receiver.
Then connect 1 from the 1st led & 3 from the 2nd led & solder to terminal 1 of the transmitter, then take the remaining 3 & 1 led leads to terminal 2 of the transmitter.?

2. Also, What's the best type & best way to connect a latching or flip flop relay to the receiver. IE: which terminals to operate the coil.?

rec3.JPG

I’m not familiar with this product, but I would do the following.

”L” is common live.  1-5 are individual returns and are switched by the remote control.

you’re not going to get red & white lights that change over with white/green leds, ( :) ) but leaving that aside, you connect the anode of each led to the L and the white cathode at the front end, and the red cathode at the rear to “1”, and the red cathode at the front, and the white at the rear to “2”.  You will need to include a resistor in each led circuit, approx 1kOhm, can vary this value by experiment.  Best to have a resistor per led, can do it with one per pair, or even one on the “L” connection, but this is not recommended.

your relay coil will be connected from “L” to 4 or 5 dependent on whether you want it to latch, or just click across & back when you release the button.  You might want a diode across the coil to prevent damage to the receiver, it should be connected with the cathode to “L”.

I’d suggest getting a second opinion before committing to this!

HTH

Simon

• Like 1

OK, this is a Deltang RX60-22. The 'L' pad is only used to monitor battery voltage when used with a voltage booster. The 'L' pad does nothing else.

The 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 pads provide up to 3.3V to power LEDS, control servos etc etc, for LEDS the current should be no more than 20mA. Connect the 'P' pad to the LED and the other wire on the LED to the NEG terminal?

Others will know more about connecting leds but I do know that using pads 1 to 5 you can independently control red and white front and rear lights with any combination off or on. You need to program the receiver to do this.

Example

front on rear off - pulling a train

front on rear on - running light engine

both off - stabled or loco second in a double header

front off rear on - pushing from rear of train

red on front and rear - stabled in a loop that can be approached from both ends.

All from one switch on the transmitter, I did a test rig a few years ago and just have to remember where I put the notes

http://www.deltang.co.uk/rx60c.htm

Edited by wasdavetheroad
  • Like 1

Check out this site for diagrams of how to wire LEDS with Deltang receivers

https://rctrains.co.uk/LEDs.htm

The penultimate diagram is the one that is relevant to using the Deltang Rx auto light feature with P1 and P2. Wire up one set of LEDS as described to P1 and the second set with colours reversed to P2

I have copied the diagram here but do read that site

Deltang auto leds.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back & sorry for not responding. "I dont get email notice on a reply's" But great info in a more simple English, i would of treated the L as live for led & relays.  I tried purchasing from RCTAINS but got one reply & no more after that, so went to  http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rc_model_rail.html & he made up a controller but only had the older RX60 boards in stock, so i took these. 
One of the things that confuses me is most RC boards work on a 5v receiver yet this one is 3 to13v with outputs of 3.3v & if you want a basic relay, most rc relays are 5v.  Laugh, cant win. So! do i find a 3.3v relay or increase the output voltage somehow.?
Think my resistor for the led should be nearer 50k, rather than 500k.

Edited by collectors

21 hours ago, wasdavetheroad said:

Interesting, what are you hoping to use the relay for? I am thinking there must be a workaround somewhere?

Hi, was looking to control other things around the layout, like village house lights, street lights & possibly points via relays & my RC controller. But i might be able to use some 5v dsm2 receivers i have for my model aircraft & connect the relays this way. But it would also be handy to have an on/off switch via the RX60 receiver. 

PS: That site had a drawing of Bi led,s

bi-led.JPG

Edited by collectors
  • Like 1

The max current from any P output is 20mA so you will have to use a small reed relay. Alternatively, you can drive the gate of a N-FET from Px (100R in series, 10k to negative). We have some tiny boards with single and dual FETS on page (http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/fet_buffer.html 

Ah! I read somewhere that you could use a N-FET (transistor?) to switch the 5V+ input voltage of a relay.

How many relays do you want to control and what voltage do you want them to switch? It seems the way to switch points with Deltang gear is to use a servo motor which the Rx can control easily.

I am not familiar with how relays work but they are basically a 'safe' means of high power switching? and I presume the 5+V triggering the relay has to be continually applied or is it a toggle with a pulse of power to switch on or off? The reason I ask is if it is a toggle or you are switching a single relay you theoretically use the channel 1 MOTOR output of the Rx to switch a single relay, plenty of power there, or if it is a toggle needed  a simple multi way switch could control several relays. The speed control is only a variable resistor and could be replaced with a switch or the RX can be programmed to give a minimum voltage output higher than 5V, theoretically. a simple 'blip' of the throttle would then switch the relay.

I have had positive experiences with Micron Radio Control and reckon that if there is a solution to your problem they will find it as they know a lot more about this electronic trickery than me.

edit - just visited the Micron site, those FET buffers look like the way to go

Edited by wasdavetheroad

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 07:42, wasdavetheroad said:

Ah! I read somewhere that you could use a N-FET (transistor?) to switch the 5V+ input voltage of a relay.

How many relays do you want to control and what voltage do you want them to switch? It seems the way to switch points with Deltang gear is to use a servo motor which the Rx can control easily.

I am not familiar with how relays work but they are basically a 'safe' means of high power switching? and I presume the 5+V triggering the relay has to be continually applied or is it a toggle with a pulse of power to switch on or off? The reason I ask is if it is a toggle or you are switching a single relay you theoretically use the channel 1 MOTOR output of the Rx to switch a single relay, plenty of power there, or if it is a toggle needed  a simple multi way switch could control several relays. The speed control is only a variable resistor and could be replaced with a switch or the RX can be programmed to give a minimum voltage output higher than 5V, theoretically. a simple 'blip' of the throttle would then switch the relay.

I have had positive experiences with Micron Radio Control and reckon that if there is a solution to your problem they will find it as they know a lot more about this electronic trickery than me.

edit - just visited the Micron site, those FET buffers look like the way to go

Hi, apologies for not getting back, forum not sending notices out about replies. "I think its solved now". Micron is very helpful & he sells some wizardry to switch larger relays "Single FET Buffer". Its a bit like a tiny relay switching a larger relay. Once i have fitted this, i can then get larger relays on a board that can be pulse latching "press once & on / press again & off" So similar to sounding a horn. Think the unit below work in a similar way.
spacer.png

Edited by collectors