Braeside Models: The Scratchbuild Commissions of Brian McCulloch

Yeah “Wow!” (Or words to that effect). :)

the entrance porch is exquisite.  
Did you model it in CAD first, or build onto a sketch, or…. And roughly how many hours of Swann-Morton time?  Buildings do seem to take a while.

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond

On 09/10/2021 at 07:29, Simond said:

.. the entrance porch is exquisite.  Did you model it in CAD first, or build onto a sketch, or…. And roughly how many hours of Swann-Morton time?  

Thanks Simon - it has been a fun feature to reproduce in miniature. I had some basic dimensions from an architects drawing on the council planning website but the details was estimated from photos. Swann Morton time for the porch was about 10 hours.

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2021 at 10:10, Bri.dolan said:

Amazing modelling !

have you carved into styrene for the stonework ?

Thank you for the lovely feedback - and yes, this set of stonework is scored into the styrene. My preference is to use modelling clay but it was a bit overkill for this building!

• 2 weeks later...

Egg box construction

The method I use in constructing these little buildings is to brace each wall with an 'egg box' style lattice of formers. This creates a lightweight structure that retains it's shape whilst giving access to the inside of the model. I'm a recent convert to foamex as it is easy to cut and seems ideally suited to this sort of carcass.

db-gqs-nb-hotel-11.jpg.566e2151a9acdecdc05964ae2c3a1e89.jpg

This is the biggest stand-alone building I've made and so far it seems to have worked fine, with all the angles staying square and nothing pulling out of shape.

db-gqs-nb-hotel-12.jpg.f7101356dfc9a00b8dd59c4b12e6c8a1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Painted Samples

I painted up a small batch of resin-cast 'but & ben' cottages to take to 'The Great Electric Train Show' in Milton Keynes. Since the sun made an appearance in the studio this morning, I took some photos. The highland 'backscene' was blended into the background using Photoshop as the  diorama is tiny and relies on a sheet of foam-board to be shoved behind it to act as a screen. I've included before-and-after photos to reveal the Photoshoppery.

bm-diorama-hillside-FLICKR-09a.jpg

bm-diorama-hillside-FLICKR-09b.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 25/10/2021 at 20:39, David Bell said:

All you need now is a class 27 for the full West Highland flavour. As others here will testify I do like a 27!

You're not alone in loving the wee Sulzer - I was a bit late on the scene for 27s on the West Highland and the Edinburgh-Glasgow shuttle. 37s had come to dominate the former and 47/7s the latter but 27s remained very common on the Dundee stoppers and the Inverness-Aberdeen services.

I also had one or two into Aberdeen from the south, with gradients that test a type 2!

Here's the back of my head with 27s passing at Inverurie ..

15370742197_f8e88ed2cf_k.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 2

Bound for Aberdeen ..

A 'friend of Braeside Models' is taking a little sample box of resin casts to the Aberdeen Model Railway Club exhibition at Dyce this weekend.  My hope is that it might spark a conversation about what I am doing to represent the East of Scotland in model form.

To fit the theme and location, I painted one of the 'but & ben' models in the manner of pink Aberdeen granite.

bm-diorama-harbour-FLICKR-20.jpg.dab64e34efbef7c04a3b1c266c0d7259.jpg

bm-diorama-harbour-INSTA-04.jpg.38719db2e7121f0fffee458f98b3eb67.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Looks very impressive Brian.

Are all the details 3D prints or laminations from parts from the cutter ?

Cheers Stubby - the detail parts are a combination of materials and methods. Here's the full list:

• Windows - mostly 2-part laser cut MDF to my design
  • 2 x windows are etched metal as the originals have very fine glazing bars
  • Stone window frames w/pediments are cut from styrene using my plotter
  • Pediment above columns and decorative discs are scratchbuiilt by hand with styrene
  • Columns and caps are scratchbuilt using sheet styrene
  • Balustrade is a 3D printed set I found online
  • The entrance porch is scratchbuilt in sheet styrene by hand

Even allowing for the laser-cut parts it was still a lot of work!

Regards,

Brian

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Alongside the hotel, other small buildings are springing from the workbench. 

Some will be produced as resin-kits, once all the stonework is rendered. The long winter evenings will come in handy!

workbench-carcasses.jpg

That is looking good Brian. Is that the beginnings of Aboyne in the background?