Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 47475 said:

I'm hoping they'll finally sort these issues with 50149, but I haven't seen any decent enough photos from TINGS to make a judgement yet.

I hope they have too.  The issue has been mentioned in the Dapol Digest forum, along with decoration errors spotted on the sample (incorrect nameplate colour, too large sub-sector logo, grills needing to be executive dark grey).  So there shouldn't be any excuses......

2 hours ago, Stuart A said:

I hope they have too.  The issue has been mentioned in the Dapol Digest forum, along with decoration errors spotted on the sample (incorrect nameplate colour, too large sub-sector logo, grills needing to be executive dark grey).  So there shouldn't be any excuses......

Back onto topic please, this is in the Graham Farish topic :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveArkley said:

Back onto topic please, this is in the Graham Farish topic :)

That's half the problem, Farish has released so little compared with Dapol et-al (and in other scales, even Farish's own parent company!!) that we have little to talk about and so threads drift.

There is a good reason why this is the Spring 2021 announcements thread still and nobody even bothered creating threads for the two subsequent quarterly damb squibs announcements.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, John M Upton said:

That's half the problem, Farish has released so little compared with Dapol et-al (and in other scales, even Farish's own parent company!!) that we have little to talk about and so threads drift.

There is a good reason why this is the Spring 2021 announcements thread still and nobody even bothered creating threads for the two subsequent quarterly damb squibs announcements.

That's a little harsh, Farish have released lots of exciting new models since spring 2021, unfortunately almost all of these have been rtp buildings. There seem to have been some many I wonder if they are going into competition with Lilliput Lane. I expect we'll see adverts for their buildings in the back of magazines in newspapers on Saturdays and Sundays.

http://www.vivmarston.com/pictures originals.htm

Edited by Kris
  • Funny 4

Just a few thoughts.

Must admit, other life priorities have seen me scrap my n gauge layout of Tintern, intended to be a stop gap till I could assemble something based south west circa 68- 78.

I do miss it - nice compact layout and supporting range of rolling stock - 64xx, autocoach, AEC Railcar, 57XX, B set, (and some Hawksworths for imaginary excursions) from the normal suspects.   D9500, D6300, D7000, 121, 108(!) for the imaginary line life extension till circa 70 - and not just for the quarry.

The lack of availability, and cost, of n gauge rolling stock from Farish (and others) for my main preferred era - 68 -78, has turned me right off the hobby. 

Advantage of n - scale length trains - but no advantage if scarcity of availability and daft prices on Ebay means it costs an arm and a leg to assemble a typical train.

I greatly admire the skill demonstrated by many of you talented people on here, but limited time means other things have to take precedence for me.

Lack of ready availability of a full range of  Mk2a's/b's/c's, (how long since Farish did a decent run of them), and the lack of a decent 63' DMU (I,ve a BH Enterprises 120 which was running round on a much cannibalised 108 chassis), means that it's all been boxed away pending more time, and more careful choices about discretionary expenditure.  Be interesting to see how much suffers from dreaded split gear syndrome at some point in the future.  (This includes a  Peak-  yup, with a split gear).

It's a hobby and is there to be enjoyed. I'll probably ponder thoughts of which scale I will return to in my fallow period.(Sold an extensive 00 collection built up over 25 years when I forayed into n).

Happy modelling.

Matt W

Edited by D826
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, D826 said:

Lack of ready availability of a full range of  Mk2a's/b's/c's, (how long since Farish did a decent run of them), and the lack of a decent 63' DMU (I,ve a BH Enterprises 120 which was running round on a much cannibalised 108 chassis), means that it's all been boxed away pending more time, and more careful choices about discretionary expenditure.  Be interesting to see how much suffers from dreaded split gear syndrome at some point in the future.  (This includes a  Peak-  yup, with a split gear).

2015 for the last batch of Blue/grey Mk2a. There's a BSO due in the next few months in blue/grey with TSO in Regional Railways, and in Scotrail with a Mk1 BG. Hopefully they'll manage blue/grey TSO ad Regional BSO too.

Dapol's class 121 and 122 aren't too bad. A new 63' DMU will be done by Revolution Trains as a follow up to their class 128 parcels unit.

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

I get more and more the feeling Bachmann has no longer a real interest in N Gauge. When I look on which nice Models we have in OO by Bachmann (or others)...

No interest?

Retooled class 40 with sound, retooled class 31 with sound, retooled Castle with sound, retooled N class with sound, retooled class 60 with sound, retooled class 14 with sound, retooled 8f with sound, retooled standard 5MT

Class 350 TPE livery, class 450 SWT livery, retooled class 158 coming

Mk2A, Mk2F and Thompson coaches

New tooling class 319

I agree we need more runs of coaches are there aren't enough available but Farish hasn't been forgotten and it's certainly receiving investment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

It is tangible signs of progress but compared with the same company's progress and output in OO, its miniscule.  Also from a personal point of view I have no interest in DCC or sound whatsoever, (the former too expensive and complicated, the latter, well I have yet to hear a DCC sound loco that doesn't sound quite frankly a tad naff) so those upgrades are of no interest either.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

It is tangible signs of progress but compared with the same company's progress and output in OO, its miniscule.  Also from a personal point of view I have no interest in DCC or sound whatsoever, (the former too expensive and complicated, the latter, well I have yet to hear a DCC sound loco that doesn't sound quite frankly a tad naff) so those upgrades are of no interest either.

Used to be the same, but I made the switch, it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be actually though I am not about to butcher the internals on my locos to fit sound (except perhaps the 08).

N gauge is a fraction the size of 00 so how can we expect the same output, there isn't the market to support that volume of output in multiples of locos/stock.

Oh I forgot the class 69 new tooling that was announced a couple of months back

In terms of popularity my understanding is that the N Market is reckoned to be in the region of 20-30% that of OO.

Sadly, if you consider the investment in the OO class 20, Class 24, V2, Class 47 (Said to be £1m alone) new investment in new N has been miniscule by comparison in the last 2 years, and I would be surprised if it has been even 20-30% of the Class 47 alone. 

The Class 69 is so niche that I can see it having only limited appeal. No use to anyone modelling earlier epochs than current and what is it 10 locos with an option for another 5? I can understand that it might make it in the OO world, but I fear a lot N ones will end up heavily discounted over time.

I know we are told that N has not been forgotten, but every indication over the last 12 months especially is that while that may be true, it is not where the priority for spend on new tool items is. Even the partial retool of the 5MT (which is basically just the tender to accommodate sound) I was told at TINGS is likely to still be 18 months away. I have one on order but given  (if this is accurate) it will go through another two price increases before release (having had one hike already) I am seriously considering cancelling it. I am of course aware of the production issues in China, but even allowing for these, other things with much closer delivery dates are now attracting my attention. 

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

21 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

The Class 69 is so niche that I can see it having only limited appeal. No use to anyone modelling earlier epochs than current

But surely that limited appeal is true for any loco/unit based on those modeling a period and only buying to fit that time. The 5MT was around for less than 20 years from first built to last withdrawn. By the time the model class 69 arrives the real locos might well have been around for a similar period.

;-)

Edited by grahame
  • Funny 2

21 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

The Class 69 is so niche that I can see it having only limited appeal. No use to anyone modelling earlier epochs than current and what is it 10 locos with an option for another 5? I can understand that it might make it in the OO world, but I fear a lot N ones will end up heavily discounted over time.

It fits very nicely amongst Pendolinos, 319s, 350s, 92s, 66s, 60s, 37s, 56s and 800s, quite niche but anyone with a modern layout who has spent on those items listed will want at least one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy L S said:

The ultra modern does seem a very popular period for modelling. I suspect the BR large logo one will be an impulse buy for a few older people too as a rule one memory stirrer.

Anyway, if they do end up in the bargain bin, then it'll be a cheap chassis to put a 3D printed 56 shell on so we can finally have a 56 that looks like one in N.

Jo

• AY Mod unpinned this topic