Railway Vehicle Preservations - LNER Beavertail

Bucoops

• RMweb Premium

That’s gorgeous. Am I right in thinking it will be based at the GCR? 

On 03/02/2021 at 12:56, Bucoops said:

I've just seen this (hopefully this works for non-Facebook members).

145732371_4047509478595530_5396767281652

Absolutely stunning - massive congratulations to all involved.

That’s gorgeous, am I right in thinking it will be based at the GCR? Thanks

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

The owning group is so quite possibly. It is apparently at the 1:1 collection at the Hornby plant at the moment next to Bittern.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

The owning group is so quite possibly. It is apparently at the 1:1 collection at the Hornby plant at the moment next to Bittern.

Thanks @Bucoopsalthough it would be a shame to see it stuffed and mounted. Hopefully it’s only there until the weather improves lol.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks @Bucoopsalthough it would be a shame to see it stuffed and mounted. Hopefully it’s only there until the weather improves lol.

I suspect it would only be rolled out on special occasions. Too valuable for day to day use. Similar to the Quadarts at the NNR (although they have been in quite heavily use due to covid).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I suspect it would only be rolled out on special occasions. Too valuable for day to day use. Similar to the Quadarts at the NNR (although they have been in quite heavily use due to covid).

Clearly a case that every railway needs covered storage for their carriages.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

It’s now owned by Jeremy Hoskins and is part of his Royal Scot Locomotive & General Trust, hence its storage at Margate. Large multi page article in the latest Steam Railway Magazine with very good images and its plans for the future.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

It’s now owned by Jeremy Hoskins and is part of his Royal Scot Locomotive & General Trust, hence its storage at Margate. Large multi page article in the latest Steam Railway Magazine with very good images and its plans for the future.

Ah! Thanks for that.

Steam railway normally takes a week to arrive... post Brexit everything is taking longer :-(

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Oh is it? Is he linked to RVP as it was they who posted the photo on Facebook?

I don't subscribe to any magazines but intend to get a copy of this one, but not sure how.

13 hours ago, Ramrig said:

I think you will find RVP still own it, but JH put an awful lot of money into its restoration and it is stated in the SR article that he is actually an RVP member.

This brand new website describes RVP as "The Home of the Beavertails"....

http://www.beavertail.org.uk/

Edited by Johann Marsbar

The main RVP website lists is as owned by an RVP member who has loaned it to RVP and will provide funds to restore it. Having said that, the website is a tad out of date as it notes that completion is  hoped for in 2012!

http://www.rvp-ltd.org.uk/collection.php?vehicle=1729

Either way it's an absolutely superb restoration.

Edit - having now read the article in the latest Steam Railway magazine, 1729 is now owned by the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

19 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I wonder if Hornby will be making a model of it next year.

They must be tempted to examine the feasibility of the whole rake, as a parallel to the West Coast's own Coronation coaches.

I for one, would be tempted by the set in BR livery, running as a fantasy, but plausible, 'Talisman'!

The Nim.

• Like 1