Tarnhouse (Hallbankgate) Brampton Rly circa 1947

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian I have just stumbled across you build thread of this layout. I do like the old pictures of what the area looked like as well as the more recent pictures.

The buildings you are modelling look great. I will be watching this with great interest.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ruston said:

These buildings are very nice. I'm not very good at buildings, especially stone ones. What have you used for the stonework and how do you do the arches and lintels etc?

Thanks, I used S.E. Finecast embossed random stone, now hard to get. Lintels are cut from thin card. Window frames were laser cut for me.

I painted it using enamels following Karl Crowther's method from MRJ 247

For drawings I used those on the Carlisle Council portal, they have drawings for all planning permissions search for the location you are interested in, as it happens there was one for the Co-op and some f the Brampton Railway offices.  Hope that is useful

Ian B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

P.S.

When I have cut the apertures out of the main card walls. I photocopy this and stick it on the back of the embossed stone, to use as a cutting template, it ensures the widows etc are in the correct place and avoids double measurements (and double errors!). 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some work on the shed. The doors are just place holding at the moment and latterly there were only three. The slate roof had also been replaced with corrugated iron and the smoke vents removed and a thin metal pipe put in their place. Please excuse the Barclays and the Wm Baird internal user. I WILL get round to proper stock! 

DSC00625.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, sir douglas said:

a pull out magazine about industrial modelling, including an article about HallBank Gate with a layout plan and some prototype photos, no actual layout though

Hah! 

Edited by Ian Blenk

• 4 weeks later...

This a really interesting project - I'm sure people living in HBG and nearby would love to see it when finished. The old railway cutting runs along the bottom of my garden at Tindale. I'd particularly like to see the finished engine Tindale - I do wonder what happened to its name plates when it was scrapped.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress with the water/sand installation. There is a lean to on the back to put on. I have no clear snap of this, so it will be a guess. Also some fish bellied rail on the back wall as supports. I know I have some Ambis etches in the attic, just need a map and compass to find them now.

DSC00638.JPG

DSC00639.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Found this is one of my albums, I don't know who took the photo, all it has on the back is Hallbankgate March 1946. I will remove it if there is a problem.

Points of note;

I think that is Tindale dumped in the workman's coal siding with its dome on the cab roof.

The two wagons don't appear to have any branding although what looks like 'FOR' is painted on the smaller wagons drop door.

The shed roof hasn't yet been replaced with corrugated iron, that must have happened after Vesting

Wheel set botton RHS

Any info as to the photographer would be great

1946.jpg

• Like 8

Replaced roof on the 'pump' room so it's now flat and has a vent, plus a couple of random shots of the workman's coal siding and the Co-op siding. The Neilson  is naughty, but I do like it.

DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644 (2).JPG

DSC00646.JPG

Edited by Ian Blenk
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Ian Blenk said:

Replaced roof on the 'pump' room so it's now flat and has a vent, plus a couple of random shots of the workman's coal siding and the Co-op siding. The Neilson  is naughty, but I do like it.

DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644 (2).JPG

DSC00646.JPG

As usual, masses of atmosphere a superb layout.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Trying out some back scenes. N.B. just place holding at present.

• Find old photo on line
  • Colourise it with free App Try and match sky colour to your sky paint
  • Fade colours as necessary. Flip if needed
  • Copy to word doc and enlarge as required, watch out for pixels
  • Cut to size
  • Mess about until happy

DSC00647.JPG

DSC00648.JPG

• Like 9

• 1 month later...