Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

On 22/05/2022 at 08:06, Dunsignalling said:

If anybody did want to do a "different" diesel shunter, I'd think the rod-driven LMS sort would tick more boxes.

John

Well I've changed my mind, I knew a new version of a transition experimental Diesel would be cool, but talking with you guys an early LMS would be perfect. 

• Agree 1

On 22/05/2022 at 16:06, Dunsignalling said:

Though there are already an awful lot of Bachmann and Hornby 08s out here which many of us wouldn't consider in urgent need of replacement.

If anybody did want to do a "different" diesel shunter, I'd think the rod-driven LMS sort would tick more boxes.

John

21 hours ago, GernBlanstonShow said:

Well I've changed my mind, I knew a new version of a transition experimental Diesel would be cool, but talking with you guys an early LMS would be perfect. 

You know it makes sense, and would be very healthy competition with another LMS 350hp loco promised quite a while ago from another manufacturer. 

The obvious ones are three-sets of the standard BR 16-ton mineral wagons with lots of different numbers and variations.

For a coach, I would go with the BR "short" standard suburbans (lots of liveries, relatively long lives, useful for branch work).

For a locomotive, anything from my "signature bar" - but talking to someone recently we noted that the Bachmann N-class really is in need of an update, so that, OR an L1, OR an E1,  all really useful engines.

( I really want a 4-COR,  but ...  )

A ex-GNR/LNER K2 would be my choice. The English ones could be seen all over the the British Railways Eastern Region, and the modified cab version all over the Scottish Region. They were not confined to the West Highland line and could be seen virtually anywhere in Scotland. All those lovely Loch names too !

Oh, as a afterthought, some LMS Period II gangwayed stock would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Carl LaFong
spelling problem.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think your critique is unfair. 

I certainly wouldn't get too excited or critical at this stage. 

As Rapido say in relation to the above images; 

"27/05/2022 - Rapido Trains OO Gauge GWR Toad Diag AA20 - Engineering Sample
Check out the first engineering prototype for Rapido's newly tooled Toad brake van."

How about giving them a chance ?

Oh and don't overlook the standards they have set themselves with the SE&CR opens and their gunpowder vans. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, BR traction instructor said:

Their chance is the same as that for any other manufacturer…use your best shot when advertising…

But this isn't advertising...

This is showing us how things are developing so that we can both see that progress is being made and so that feedback can be provided to them before it is too late.

Judging them and their product at this point of the development process is unfair.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Their chance is the same as that for any other manufacturer…use your best shot when advertising…

BeRTIe

And other manufacturers will publish images of their engineering prototypes, painted samples etc. as their projects proceed. 

Your comment above demonstrates a marked lack of understanding of what you are seeing in those images. 

As MD says above, this is not advertising. You are seeing this as something it isn't. 

It's critics like you which lead to manufacturers choosing not to publicise the developements of their projects. 

Rapido share a lot of information and involve their potential customers as projects proceed. We want this to continue. You seem to want the opposite. 

Therefore, if you are to make critical comment, try to ensure it's constructive. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

The images of this project appear on my screen unbidden when I log onto RMWeb…that is advertising, be it a project in development or a finished product available to buy.

It is constructive to say that there are limitations to the use of moulded plastic.

I can rephrase the remainder by asking to see the handrail sections represented in wire please but the reason for the request remains.

BeRTIe

• RMweb Gold

Looks pretty accurate to me ;)

Scan462.jpg.886c1da1633fb44646daa0ca7dad3802.jpg

It's not advertising, it's a progress update, with caveats. We are grateful for them as it means we can see how they are getting on, and knowledgable people can give constructive criticism and praise.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

The images of this project appear on my screen unbidden when I log onto RMWeb…that is advertising, be it a project in development or a finished product available to buy.

It is constructive to say that there are limitations to the use of moulded plastic.

I can rephrase the remainder by asking to see the handrail sections represented in wire please but the reason for the request remains.

BeRTIe

To put this to bed........

Please note; 

A number of things to sort but we are very pleased with this!

As I said initially, give them chance.

With regards to the 'advertising' , if you find it misleading you can always discuss that with the mods........

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2022 at 10:53, Carl LaFong said:

Oh, as a afterthought, some LMS Period II gangwayed stock would be very much appreciated.

LMS vestibule stock is sadly neglected. So far only the one many years ago from Replica Railways and latterly the Hornby Coronation Scot conversion. Something like a D1807 Period 2 Open Third would be nice, but I've already built one of those. Straightforward body and windows. Many P1 and P2 opens appeared in five different liveries from full panelled LMS to BR maroon and lasted around 40 years.   The LMS Carriage Association has a fully restored P1 D1692 and a P3 D1999 partly restored.  

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, mdvle said:

But this isn't advertising...

This is showing us how things are developing so that we can both see that progress is being made and so that feedback can be provided to them before it is too late.

Judging them and their product at this point of the development process is unfair.

Please explain the advertising at the side and top of the screen using the same images.

I know some don't see adverts due to having "gold" or other packages, but that is definitely advertising a product.

They are there to get you to part with your hard earned so they are advertising.

2022-06-12.png.54bd047626e5755f5e8f2f6922d3b996.png

Even provocatively in the Hornby part of the website. I did think Rapido were better than that....

1862063153_2022-06-12(1).png.40f86548c1276439fd2afe295d7bf5fd.png

Jason

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I did think Rapido were better than that....

Nothing wrong with it at all. It's supporting the site; Hornby could take out a package to support their area too rather than paying Google to target the site with their ads.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

If you find it misleading you can always discuss that with the mods........

It's their call to show the EP samples so there's no point grumbling to me. 🙂

Having handled many EPs over the years, and even having some old ones in my collection here, they're just test shots for component/size/fit for review. They're often made of different materials, sometimes mixed media of injection and printed parts, some parts may have not been fitted or properly fixed or a mix of components from different variants and are not necessarily a reflection of a finished item. I wouldn't worry about wonky handrails at that stage. 

They can also suffer from excessive handling, especially with inferior materials used at test stage. I've even caused minor damage handling them myself. That's why sensible manufacturers keep them in glass cases at shows.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

No need to take a break Andy, the vast majority of us enjoy and appreciate your input. Just ignore the people who criticise unjustly, most of us do, and they pop up in most threads. 

Roy

Wot 'e said :)

• Agree 6

@rapidoandy 

2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

We share photos of our EPs - warts and all - to get feedback.

And as modellers, most of us are very glad that you have done that in the past, and would hope that you to continue to do so.

I'm interested in your products (my two GWR GPVs are very nice, thank you) and I want to see how the latest developments are coming along.

2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Yes we have used the images on the advertising spaces - we don’t see a problem with that. EPs are used in print advertising a lot…

As for "advertising", it's entirely expected and, within reason, wanted. You are supporting the site by paying for space, and, since Rapido isn't a charity, you expect to generate more profit from the additional sales revenue generated than the cost of the space. 

That's what you get out of it. What do we get out of it?

Well, speaking personally, if you have something new in the works, then I'm pleased to find out about it. 

With a broader purview, hosting costs money; @AY Mod 's salary costs money. RMWeb could probably survive without people like you, but the net result is most likely less relevant advertising, and since it's less relevant, the RoI per impression is less, so the CPM charged has to be less, but the costs that have to be covered are the same, so the amount of advertising goes up. What you're really doing is reducing the overall amount of advertising on the site, and at the same time educating and informing an active railway modelling community.

Keep it up!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

Maybe it’s time to take a break for a bit.

Nil Desperandum Carborundum....(etc)

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

Recognising the limitations of when to use metal handrails is also very important. If you look at the prototypes construction you will see that you cannot really mimic it in model form. The handrail ‘knobs’ are just bracket supports and incredibly hard to mould - let alone assemble and would result in being drastically over scale.

I've looked at the EP pictures and overall it looks like a Toad and I'm sure that the glitches can be ironed out, so my pre-order stands. I don't put things in glass cases and don't examine them under a microscope, I run them at a scale viewing distance of between 50 yards and 200 yards from my seat.

You can do your damnedest to be accurate to the Nth degree but if bits are too flimsy it's not much use to those who spend our time playing trains building operational layouts. A large majority are quite happy running their models on 4' 1 1/2" gauge track but the standards in vogue at the time of Hornby Dublo had thicker wheels which were the prototype distance across the outside faces of the tyres.

To my mind handrails and thin piping are two of the worst jobs in building a model.

In cross section area terms 4mm scale is approximately 1/5800 of the 1:1 size. The handrail brackets would be about the thickness of the detailing parts etched in the brass used for detailing parts. In volume of material terms that makes a part having a volume of about 1/442000 of the original. The limitations of modelling in that scale mean that compromises are always going to have to be made if it is to be a working model let alone putting it together in the first place.

• Like 4