New Hornby products

Its in the Evening Standard folks

London Taxis in 40 different olympic liveries, first 4 already sold 10,000 each and another 4 coming every couple of months.

Limited edition Javelins in olympic livery due in September and already sold out to retailers.

And Frank Martin very bullish on childrens train sets based on "Toy Story 3".

Keith

Something to use with the new DVT would be sensible - otherwise , what use is the new DVT?

tfn

jon

I hope you're not suggesting it'll be something with a Pantograph on....?

My apologies for using the P-word, i'll put 10p into the swear box.

It possible it could be the taxis, but I reckon its too much of a co-incident tht its also DEMU this weekend, Im hoping for something a bit more railway related. Preferably modern image, but who knows . .

Link to the evening standard

Bring on monday as Im hoping for a pleasant surprise

It was interesting to read that Hornby have exclusive rights to metal Olympic mascot souvenirs.

It was also interesting that the Olympic 395 trainsets have sold out to retailers, even though they don't go on sale until September.

The Toy Story 3 train set is something that they have hinted about - discussing it in business contexts - but I have not seen any images of the trainset. Some of the Toy Story 3 promotional material does show a 19th century American style train.

Since the movie launches on June 18 I expect an announcement fairly soon.

It makes me wonder if the recent containers from China have been full of Toy Story Trains - hence the minimal May and June releases. The market window for a movie tie-in is very short - unless their goal is to coincide with a hypothetical DVD release in the Christmas market.

It was interesting to read that Hornby have exclusive rights to metal Olympic mascot souvenirs.

It was also interesting that the Olympic 395 trainsets have sold out to retailers, even though they don't go on sale until September.

The Toy Story 3 train set is something that they have hinted about - discussing it in business contexts - but I have not seen any images of the trainset. Some of the Toy Story 3 promotional material does show a 19th century American style train.

Since the movie launches on June 18 I expect an announcement fairly soon.

It makes me wonder if the recent containers from China have been full of Toy Story Trains - hence the minimal May and June releases. The market window for a movie tie-in is very short - unless their goal is to coincide with a hypothetical DVD release in the Christmas market.

Looking at the BBC, they have used a graphic that appears to be Scalextric - though I am guessing this is old, since it is not labelled "Toy Story 3".

Scalextric Toy Story

The Wall Street Journal confirms a train. (My apologies if that last link barks about a subscription.)

Aye, there are already adverts online for a lego version of the train in question. It's what I'd describe as a "Western" style 4-4-0 with a train of three four wheeled vans and a brake van. Not exactly typical Hornby faire.

I expect that the new announcements, at best, will be reliveries. It would be nice to see the 8F return. I'd also buy an upgraded 73, and the arguments for them on this thread do make sense to me.

Regarding the Toy Story set and American style 4-4-0s, the Bluebell's Dukedog was Americanised a while back, I think for Disney. Now I very much doubt it would be for a Toy Story movie for obvious reasons, but does anyone know what film it was used for?

• RMweb Premium

Back to speculation ;)

What it's NOT going to be:

4TC, 4REP, 71 or 74. Why? Because I'd like to see them released...

and, it's not going to be anything steam-related (as it's DEMU weekend).

I wonder if my pessimism will be found to be misplaced...

The A3, 8f & Q1 are (barely) available oh and I forgot about the Grange class and there were no new 4mts in this years range.

As author of the gripe in MRE about lack of new models, I perhaps didn't make it very clear that during the current cold wet weather here in EnZed it would be nice to treat the buying urge with new model purchases, aye, very theraputic it be.

It does seem odd that what may have been good sellers have more-or-less disappeared from the offerings of the large retailers, but then they would sell out first wouldn't they? (dur, Robert! sigh.. ) I have no idea about the durability of tooling and all the other things necessary for re-runs of locos., carriages, wagons, repaints and so on.

Perhaps Pat meant some the already announced 2010 offerings? I personally want an 'Arthur' with watercart as in the catalogue, but I'm not holding my breath.

As to the A3 8F and Q1 I'm not sure if these were actually such big sellers individually and as unit-profit generators, but have probably paid off the cost of tooling? Besides, I have most A3s and don't want duplicates, the goods locos, ugh, grubby things!

Rob

Archived