New Hornby products

Hand a quick look at the "goodies" at Perth and it was nice to see a full set of Hawksworth EP bodies and the two painted examples were gorgeous.

It was interesting to see the Railroad 33 and 40. The 33 looks pretty much as Lima left it (including ugly Lima couplings) but the 40 seems to have gained NEM pockets (I'm not as familiar with the Lima 40 as I am with the 33 so I could be wrong).

Oh and the VEP looks tasty, though oddly the DTC is fitted with it's buckeye dropped which is state they rarely occupied in service (I think the buffers were retracted...). Of course if there is an optional "up" one when it ships it should be mostly fine.

The 2800 painted examples looked the part to my untrained eye as well.

I'm also now the proud owner of a Blue Pullman from the Hornby stand smile.gif wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

It was interesting to see the Railroad 33 and 40. The 33 looks pretty much as Lima left it (including ugly Lima couplings) but the 40 seems to have gained NEM pockets (I'm not as familiar with the Lima 40 as I am with the 33 so I could be wrong).

The Limby 37 was fitted with NEM pockets as was belatedly the 73 so I would expect the 40 and 33 to have them as well, it may be that work on the 40 is more advanced at the moment and the 33 shell is sitting on an old Lima chassis for the time being. I see the moulded on handrails are still with us but is that a corrected roof fan grille I see? Could just be a trick of the light from the poor photographic conditions mind.

Oh and the VEP looks tasty, though oddly the DTC is fitted with it's buckeye dropped which is state they rarely occupied in service (I think the buffers were retracted...). Of course if there is an optional "up" one when it ships it should be mostly fine.

The default as supplied form for the VEP will I expect be with buckeyes down otherwise Hornby will get complaints it is fouling the tension hook coupling, I would expect as you say for there to be 'up' ones supplied as well, even if not, easily sorted.

What I want to see (and have yet to) is the driving cab ends, the face of the '63 slammers is a key feature and it needs to be absolutely spot on, there are a lot of subtle curves and traps for the unwary in that design that if an iota out here or there will ruin the whole look of it.

However from what I have seen thus far both here and on the VEP thread my wallet is already screaming in agony!!! :lol:

Behave; you'll start them all off again. ;)

A bargain at a fiver though!

I'll agree with that! I came home from Perth yesterday with 2 of them - one for my sons trainset and another which is in bits already for a repaint, detailing and a decoder :D

Despite being at the show all day (as I was there with the DEMU stand) - I didn't take any photos other than what I was working on.

Andy B)

What I want to see (and have yet to) is the driving cab ends, the face of the '63 slammers is a key feature and it needs to be absolutely spot on, there are a lot of subtle curves and traps for the unwary in that design that if an iota out here or there will ruin the whole look of it.

I didn't get any photos of it, but it looked right to me with the aforementioned buckeye looking "wrong". Glazed and painted would be good to see next and we'll know if they've nailed it.

I hope they replace those corridor connectors for the production run as they bear no resemblance to the real ones.

Anyone get a close up on the full brake tooling? It doesn't show on the painted samples but the unpainted ones have some more of rain strip above the doors.

The prototype two coach branch train with one of these coaches i'm going to model is shown in a couple of shots http://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/Railways2.htm at neath and brecon.

Could just be a trick of the light from the poor photographic conditions mind.

I know, apologies for the quality of the photos. Best I could manage in the conditions with a phone camera and being besieged with rucksacks...! ;)

If only Hornby'd do a decent set of Thompsons, to match the standard of those Hawksworth carriages - they look incredible. Just a shame I'll only be able to justify a go anywhere BG and possibly a third on an interregional.

• RMweb Premium

OK, I think I managed to miss this one, but when was the Bournemouth Belle 12 Wheeler expansion pack R4381 released? It's in Kernow's newsletter from last night as being sold out at Hornby, Hattons have got very few (if any) left now, and The Signal Box never even listed it as in stock! Did I just miss when it was initially released or what?:blink:

• RMweb Gold

OK, I think I managed to miss this one, but when was the Bournemouth Belle 12 Wheeler expansion pack R4381 released? It's in Kernow's newsletter from last night as being sold out at Hornby, Hattons have got very few (if any) left now, and The Signal Box never even listed it as in stock! Did I just miss when it was initially released or what?:blink:

This item is listed, but not illustrated, in the July 2010 Hornby releases - and I suspect that tells us everything. It's a £ to a pinch of salt that the set is effectively pre-sold, so Hornby have attempted to limit further demand by not providing a picture. Looks like you will have to work overtime on the usual sites to find an available set, I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium
...Looks like you will have to work overtime on the usual sites to find an available set, I'm afraid.

Ah, not so. I got an order in with Hattons just before they ran out :D ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I see in a post around 7 June that this model was announced by Hornby as 'upcoming'...

R2966 A3 Brown Jack in BR green with late decals, German smoke deflectors, double chimney and a GNR type tender.

which I understand was one of the last A3s in regular service and had an A4 boiler?

Could someone please tell me how this loco might differ from 2008 model R2720 A3 Galtee More in BR green with late decals, German smoke deflectors, double chimney and a GNR type tender?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I see in a post around 7 June that this model was announced by Hornby as 'upcoming'...

R2966 A3 Brown Jack in BR green with late decals, German smoke deflectors, double chimney and a GNR type tender.

which I understand was one of the last A3s in regular service and had an A4 boiler?

Could someone please tell me how this loco might differ from 2008 model R2720 A3 Galtee More in BR green with late decals, German smoke deflectors, double chimney and a GNR type tender?

Rob

If it has a n A4 boiler, the washout plugs are on a diagonal rather than straight, and the dome is in a slightly different position. Hornby have already, somewhat to my amazement, got this right a couple of years ago when they prodcued 60039 Sandwich with a Dia 107 boiler in a train pack. I say "to my amazement" only because it shows how far we have come that a manufacturer even knows about small detail changes like this, let alone produce a coorect model.

If it has a n A4 boiler, the washout plugs are on a diagonal rather than straight, and the dome is in a slightly different position. Hornby have already, somewhat to my amazement, got this right a couple of years ago when they prodcued 60039 Sandwich with a Dia 107 boiler in a train pack. I say "to my amazement" only because it shows how far we have come that a manufacturer even knows about small detail changes like this, let alone produce a coorect model.

It is for this reason that I think Hornby is the company to produce the Thompson A2/3 Pacific in all its variations.

Larry

Ah, that's very interesting, and Hornby clearly have or had the tooling and ability to do the A4 boiler on 'Brown Jack'... I have 60039 and confess I never noticed the detail of the washout plugs nor the dome, but it is great that Hornby are so excellent at such detail.

..here is my 60039 showing the A4 boiler, and the Hornby A3s truly are superb! I can't wait for Brown Jack to add to my collection...

A3_60039_Sandwich_1958_d1.jpg

Rob

Archived