Hornby HM 6000

The Johnster

Changing the 6010 channel names is a much requested improvement. 

You can revert to v1.6.3 to ditch the glitch. Go to the firmware update screen, click in the box - available updates and a scroll will open at the bottom of the screen, pick v1.6.3 and then instal. Hopefully when Hornby get back after the holidays they will either pull the update or fettle it.

I have used the relay trick to parallel manual points switching with DCC switching and your idea echos that, however having a pair of relays per point drives the price up. Mine were standard 12v car relays but I did a study on using modular relay panels and wrote it up on my web site.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have been using my HM6000 with a 1 Amp plug pack on my OO layout and generally been pleased with it. 

Double heading with two Bachman class 20s is fine but two Heljan class 28s trips the short circuit protection.

Would changing to a 4 Amp power supply solve this problem ?

I also find that the circuit trips when running older Hornby diesels through a PECO single slip, the wheel shorts as it crosses the crossing, is there a way to delay the short circuit protection or set it higher ?

thanks

Roger

22 minutes ago, 21C123 said:

I also find that the circuit trips when running older Hornby diesels through a PECO single slip, the wheel shorts as it crosses the crossing, is there a way to delay the short circuit protection or set it higher ?

This is probably in part down to back-to-back measurements being out. The 'right' solution is probably to fix that rather than fiddle with the short-circuit protection (even though the latter could possibly work - I just don't know how you would do it).

Upping the power supply will not improve short circuit tripping. It may allow double heading current hungry locos but only up to the output limit of the 6000 module.

I believe it is planned to de-sensitise the trip out level.

• 8 months later...

Is anyone having trouble with sound? The diesel engine sound on mine runs for the length of the sound file (a few seconds) then stops. It didn't used to do this. Is it as simple a fix as an update? I can't find anything on Google. 

On 31/01/2023 at 15:43, LukeB said:

Is anyone having trouble with sound? The diesel engine sound on mine runs for the length of the sound file (a few seconds) then stops. It didn't used to do this. Is it as simple a fix as an update? I can't find anything on Google. 

Hornby requests that you report this in through Customer Services (phone contact better) as they have not had any reports to date. It may be a problem at your end as they have not changed anything in the app recently.

Edit - it would help if you had details of the device you have the app loaded on and any changes you have made such as recent updates to the device.

Edited by RAF96

• 4 weeks later...

Firmware updates are available from the HM6K app for both 6000 and 6010 modules. These updates fix previous glitches and allow improved mesh connection especially with HM7K app once released.

The 6010 module can also be used as a R8247 acc decoder substitute on DCC layouts if powered with DCC by the Track connection rather than a PSU. All the R8247 v2.0 features are already in the 6010 module, so read the manual for the v2.0 R8247 for details.

The 6010 Track connection can now be powered by DC for use with HM6K app in lieu of a PSU.

Edit - 6010 v1.8.2 has a glitch whereby the module works for 59 seconds and needs to be ‘resumed’ to work for the same time again, etc. v1.10.0 will fettle that soon.

Edited by RAF96
As shown

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the HM6010 module glitch saga. It is advised that anyone having problems revert to version v1.6.3 for now. The problem will be fully resolved at the next app update, yet to be scheduled.

I know nothing but I reverted without a problem. I'm running 1.6.3 on my 6010s and it looks like that is the best place to stay.

One thing I have failed miserably on is getting my iphone to work with mesh. My ipad is fine but my iphone13 and my previous iphone11 just don't work with mesh. They are fine on standard Bluetooth. Any suggestions?

On 15/03/2023 at 14:45, Chris M said:

I know nothing but I reverted without a problem. I'm running 1.6.3 on my 6010s and it looks like that is the best place to stay.

One thing I have failed miserably on is getting my iphone to work with mesh. My ipad is fine but my iphone13 and my previous iphone11 just don't work with mesh. They are fine on standard Bluetooth. Any suggestions?

only suggestion is to ensure you have de-linked from the previous device before linking to new device. Also note that Mesh tech is an architecture of several nodes. If you only have one module and the app you cannot in theory set up a mesh. The more nodes (modules or Bluetooth decoders) you have the stronger the mesh.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 15/03/2023 at 12:22, Limpley Stoker said:

Is it easy to revert to a previous firmware version- does the app offer a choice?

Yes - go to update firmware, pick your module and spin the firmware version wheel to select the version of choice. In this case reverting to a known good version, a bit like windows back-up can.

1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

only suggestion is to ensure you have de-linked from the previous device before linking to new device. Also note that Mesh tech is an architecture of several nodes. If you only have one module and the app you cannot in theory set up a mesh. The more nodes (modules or Bluetooth decoders) you have the stronger the mesh.

Thanks, I will try delinking on the iPad then. I didn’t think that would be an issue because the iPad is well out of range and switched off.

I think the mesh would be very useful as I have three 6010s next to each other to remotely change the points on my garden railway. One of the units drops out before the other two do as I get further from the units.

Edited by Chris M

• 8 months later...

Is this "new fangled" app control now passed into history like Zero 1 and Railmaster E-Link?   Hornby had/has them at GBP69.00 in the trainset pack reduced from GBP159.99.  Purely out of interest I picked up two trainsets new from Hattons yesterday for GBP69.00 each to see what all the hype was about.  Given that the HM6000 app controller and specific power supply retail at around GBP25.00 each,  then a complete trainset for a few quid more just does not make sense.  Perhaps another own goal from Hornby.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

Is this "new fangled" app control now passed into history like

Hornby don't think so - the hm6000 is pictured in their "coming soon" section of website.

Don't mistake a stock-clearing discount on a Train Set for something else.

The hm6010 unit is promoted for use with the hm7000 decoders, so I feel Hornby are still  supporting.

The HM6010 has a dual connection with both analogue and digital control and thus will remain a priority with Hornby.  The HM6000 is purely analogue and seemingly interest has died down after its initial release around two years ago.  Software updates were instigated previously so hopefully some of the teething issues have been sorted out and the current platform is now stable.  If not for the massive discount I had no previous interest in the platform as I am more a tactile modeller,  preferring hardware rather than software.  I prefer the rotation of a knob rather than a touchscreen to control trains,  but am willing to investigate other areas of control if troublefree. 

The 6000 module can be used as a dumb static node for HM7K to say extend range and provide greater stability to the mesh.  It can with limits be used as a power source if the PWM frequency is tweaked up high, but this is not really recommended for reasons stated in the decoder manual.
As stated the 6010 module has already been incorporated into the HM7K app, at present only for basic operations, but as the internals are essentially a Bluetooth version of an R8247 it has all that v2.0 operability awaiting the app to be updated with an expanded GUI to use those extra functionality.

6010 modules also act as static nodes to the mesh.

Just be aware each app (HM6K or HM7K) uses these modules at different firmware revisions, which are resettable in version as required.

Edited by RAF96