T gauge Nellie

009 micro modeller

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

From TGauge.com - this is very small. Although this one doesn’t the final version is apparently going to have coupling rods, like the 08 currently being made.

Well that gets the award for most bizarre muzak on a model product video ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes, it does seem an odd choice!

5 hours ago, DavidMatthewson said:

Neat - I like the green body shell on the back left too!

I can’t tell if that’s another of the same body shape or a different design. But it’s interesting that small 4 and 6 wheeled locos with motion are now becoming possible in T gauge in a semi-commercial way (as far as I can understand from the information about the 08 released via their mailing list it involves 3D printing the major components and an element of hand building in batches, so perhaps closer to what Fourdees do in 009 than mainstream RTR. But the prices for the 08 seem fairly reasonable and I’d assume this would be fairly similar, when it’s ready). It’s also interesting that TGauge.com seem to be making locos themselves, with seemingly less direct involvement from Eishindo.

I might be in the market for a T gauge ‘Nellie.’ It would go well on my 1:12 scale ‘train set’ layout, where the T gauge is supposed to represent an old 0 gauge train set and a small steam 0-4-0 with a couple of wagons would probably be more appropriate than the KiHa 40 currently used. I’d have to wait and see what people think of the 08 and how well it runs when that comes out though (although this might not be that much of an issue - the bogie chassis generally only have 4 wheels driven and they are smooth enough).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I was sitting next to Mrs BB and she said exactly the same thing.......”what the.....are you watching?” :lol:

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...

Reading some other topics, something else has just occurred to me. Surely the availability of short wheelbase 4 and 6-wheeled locos will reduce the minimum radius that can be used somewhat? When I bought my original T gauge equipment the minimum set track radius was 120mm, which iirc was also the minimum recommended for bending the flexible track, and would be equivalent to 360mm in 009 or N, much bigger than the 9 inch reasonable minimum radius usually quoted. I had always assumed this to be necessary because of the limited bogie swing on the Bo-Bo chassis (or is it more complex than that?).

This is now available: https://www.tgauge.com/product/335/fine-track-set-60mm-grey

60mm radius seems very tight to me though, even when doing the proportional comparison with 9mm gauge radii.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1