Lochside Trees

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking at getting some decent model trees for Loch Doune, rather than the "bottle brush" ones I've tended to use. But what type of tree would be seen in the Scottish Highlands, near a loch? 

Also, any recommendations of good suppliers of specific species of tree?

On 16/03/2021 at 17:24, JohnR said:

I'm looking at getting some decent model trees for Loch Doune, rather than the "bottle brush" ones I've tended to use. But what type of tree would be seen in the Scottish Highlands, near a loch? 

Also, any recommendations of good suppliers of specific species of tree?

I did quite a bit of research into the Loch Tay station area and birch dominate with a few other deciduous species mixed in. Larch tended to be a little further inland. Other parts of the loch had Scots Pine.

Most commercial trees look awful to me, lacking any real relationship to the supposed species. I'm planning on making my own, but my fallback if I fail will be these: https://mbrmodel.eu/en/product-category/deciduous-trees/  they're the best I've found.

• Thanks 1

The problem is that "highlands near a loch" covers a lot of possibilities, and a convincing representation of a locality requires something specific to it (for example, one does not first think of oak trees and Scotland, but they are very much a part of certain places). 

At the risk of suggesting a rather serious foray into a wider field, Michael Proctor's Vegetation of Britain and Ireland is a pretty good starting point.

Of course, one simple expedient would be a huge Forestry Commission plantation of Sitka spruce. Depending on your time-frame that might be entirely prototypical, if rather dull. 

• 11 months later...