Secrets of the London Underground. Series 2 coming 5th May at 8PM on Yesterday

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, timdunn said:

Incidentally, tonight we did two (TWO!) features on block signalling. On national telly!

:lol: If James May can make reassembling lawnmowers tv then anything’s possible! 

• Funny 2

On 09/08/2021 at 17:54, RJS1977 said:

Unfortunately that would be in the period when the BBC routinely wiped and re-used tapes, so the chances of its survival are slim.

In the 1970s,  such a programme would probably be made on film so there could be a chance of its survival since modern film has excellent storage properties.

Jim.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/08/2021 at 21:10, Engineer said:

Under London Expedition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoG0ACt3UA
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnCTRV5EwPk

Part 2

Having trouble getting links in place, so far, will try again.  Hope the above is enough to use.

Early in my career, I was fortunate to make a site visit to King William Street, and walk down the tunnels as far as the construction shaft under the river.  The whole site is totally altered now, thanks to redevelopment above.

That's the one!  Four parts on YouTube, the complete programme by the looks of it.  Slightly quirky in the way it is presented but overall a good watch. 

Astounded it has survived. I presume someone found it on an old home VHS recording somewhere...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, finally managed to catch up with the last two episodes yesterday.  A very good series all round I must say and deserves a second one.

I don't suppose the very atmospheric soundtrack/background music is available anywhere is it?

Also harking back to an earlier post about the abandoned Northern Line extensions, does anyone have a copy of the Northern Wastes book for sale for a sensible price please?  Ebay has only turned up the one at an exorbitant price because it is signed plus there seems to be two versions, one with a brownish cover, the other black?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Immediately after the first screening of episode 1 of the series 3 of "The Architecture The Railways Built", there was a repeat of 2 episodes of "Secrets Of The London Underground".

The car from the 1980s green prototype train was of interest to me - mainly because I remember travelling on it in February 1987, when it was used on the Jubilee Line.

Although the trains were brightly coloured (and looked somewhat incongruous), I don't recall seeing too much in the way of branding on them (of course, I might just have not been looking too hard).

The 3 prototype trains were split up - with sections of each train marshalled together to form trains. These trains were used in passenger service for a short time - with some distinctly anodyne questionnaire forms made available for passengers to fill in.

In case anyone's wondering how I can be so definite about when this was, at the time I was a 21 year old student on an industrial training year. At the time, British Rail offered a February "wow deal" to people with Young Person's Railcards - InterCity returns between pretty much any 2 stations for something like a fiver a "pop" (after a certain time, I think) - and no need to book in advance.

(I seem to recall that a similar deal a year later also came in rather useful ... .)

In my case, I took a week's annual leave - took (and failed) my second driving test on the Monday - and did a series of day trips from Hartford (on the WCML, a  couple of kilometres from my lodgings in Northwich) to London. You can safely assume that my Travelcard got a serious workout.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
The curse of auto "correct" strikes again!
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • Paul.Uni changed the title to Secrets of the London Underground. Series 2 coming 2022 on Yesterday
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 298 said:

I wonder how they're going to fill another ten episodes? (Hint, behind the scenes at the Baker St/Chiltern Court coal siding would be good, then I can finish the micro layout.

Well, I guess it's either that or "train spotting" at "West Ashfield".

OK - perhaps not ... .

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

No "inside information" - but the fact that "Yesterday" are showing trailers telling us they're "coming soon", whilst not specifying a "start of series" broadcast date, suggests to me the weeks starting 25th April or 2nd May.

Obviously, I could be very much mistaken.

Edit:  It turns out that I was not mistaken. The trailers have now been tweaked - "Yesterday" will show series 2 of "Secrets of the London Underground" from Thursday 5th May.

I'm looking forward to this - and hoping we also get further series of both this and  "Architecture the Railways Built".

Edited by Huw Griffiths
Updated, due to "Yesterday" giving a broadcast date.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Paul.Uni changed the title to Secrets of the London Underground. Series 2 coming 5th May at 8PM on Yesterday
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've also been enjoying the last couple of programmes very much indeed, but am annoyed with myself for missing the first couple of programmes. For some reason, we can't get UKTV catch-up at the moment.

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2022 at 20:55, Platform 1 said:

In case it helps Cap'n, here's a direct link to Series 2, Episode 1:

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/secrets-of-the-london-underground/watch-online/6305331210112

Otherwise, knowing UKTV programming, there'll be many repeats...

Thanks, I should be able at least to watch the 'missing' episodes on my computer, even if I can't access them on my TV.

The latest episode has an item about Ongar Station. Apparently...in 1918 Ongar was sending 22,000 tons of milk to Stratford every week. That's 3,142 tons of milk per day! A lot of milk, a lot of cows! Methinks someone's either got the calculations or the units wrong! (Metric tonnes or imperial tons, it doesn't matter that much...).