Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Finished Sides for Pre-Grouping 4mm Coaches?

I'd like to produce some rakes of coaches for my planned "Edwardian/Pre-Grouping - early Grouping" period layout. I'm not terribly experienced and scratchbuilding is beyond me but I believe I can learn to assemble something like the Ratio Coach Kits. My fear is the painting and lining part of finishing these kits. The rest of you seem to do such wonderfully detailed paint jobs that just lift a model and clearly the detail is very important to the overall effect.

I'm sure many of you will think it cheating but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a supplier who does pre-painted, pre-lined and pre-lettered coach sides that I could use. Particularly GWR, Midland and/or LMS, LSWR and/or SR would be great.

Thanks, Nick

I think it is 'Wheeltappers' who do kits with ready printed sides (they used to be the 'PC' range) but there is no panel relief on them. You may also pick up some 'MAJ' kits at swapmeets. Otherwise, find someone to do the fiddly painting bit for you but be advised that the painting would need to be done before a lot of the assembly so that the windows at least go in afterwards. Some folks prefer to paint the side separately while others may prefer the assembled body shell.

Richard

I think it is 'Wheeltappers' who do kits with ready printed sides (they used to be the 'PC' range) but there is no panel relief on them. You may also pick up some 'MAJ' kits at swapmeets. Otherwise, find someone to do the fiddly painting bit for you but be advised that the painting would need to be done before a lot of the assembly so that the windows at least go in afterwards. Some folks prefer to paint the side separately while others may prefer the assembled body shell.

Richard

I think I read somewhere that Wheeltappers have stopped selling kits last year, that is unless someone took over the range, so its Ebay/swap meets for these as well as the MAJ kits.

Someone once supplied etched coach sides ready painted, do they still do this ?

The PC coach sides are your best bet. Fitting brass door handles adds some relief to the undetailed sides. I have a range of samples from when they were first produced by Peter Chatham and they are good by any standards.

If you want a pro-painter to paint your coaches, present them to him as bodies with the roof loose then the glazing and interior can be fitted afterwards. For a pro to apply pre-grouping and 1923-27 liveries expect to pay in the region of £120 per coach, and more for LNWR.

LG

Archived