If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello From Staffordshire

The Hawk

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to this, so please bear with me. I started building a model railway 2 or 3 years ago as something to do indoors, mostly during the peak summer months when my asthma often stops me from pursuing outdoor activities. I had made little progress until the pandemic struck, when the need for indoor hobbies became a much bigger priority.

My layout, which is in a spare bedroom, is approximately 2.4m x 1.6m (roughly 8 feet x 5 feet) and is OO gauge. It will consist of a main line oval and a branch line, which will rise on an incline. I am basing very loosely on the Stafford area in 1960. The mainline will, therefore, be a British Railways (Midland Region) affair, whilst the branch line (partly inspired by the Stafford to Uttoxeter line) will be an ex LNER, British Railways (Eastern Region) affair. There will be one main station (at the point the branch line leaves the main line) and one station at the end of the branch line. I am also hoping to incorporate a salt works, again based on the Stafford salt works, which ceased production in 1970 due to problems with subsidence.

I have to admit I know very little about railways, other than being a regular rail user for many years, so I am trying to research as much as possible. As I said at the beginning, I am fairly new to all this, so I hope everyone will bear with me if I ask any silly questions.

So far, I have been learning by mistakes, which is a good way of learning, but I thought now was the time to start enjoying the benefit of other people's knowledge and experience.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, The Hawk said:

I am also hoping to incorporate a salt works, again based on the Stafford salt works, which ceased production in 1970 due to problems with subsidence.

....and/or a representation of W G Bagnall Castle Works?

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 08:35, LimboBrit said:

....and/or a representation of W G Bagnall Castle Works?

Perhaps not the works, but I have had a go at renumbering a Bachmann 3F 'Jinty' to one made by Bagnall's and added the relevant works plates, plus a lttle bit of light weathering.

As you can see, I've not made the best of jobs on the numbering but, I suppose, it could have been worse.

Jinty 47314 Resized.jpg

Edited by The Hawk
Replaced photo lost in move from Dediserve.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Perhaps not the works, but I have had a go at renumbering a Bachmann 3F 'Jinty' to one made by Bagnall's and added the relevant works plates, plus a lttle bit of light weathering.

As you can see, I've not made the best of jobs on the numbering but, I suppose, it could have been worse.

Jinty 47314.jpg

I’m in the process of renumbering a 94xx to 8405 built at The Castle Works. I might well do the same with a Jinty

• Like 1