Split Gears After Storage

cs233

As a 00 gauge modeller and not using N gauge stock very often I wanted to ask if there was any advice as to how to store them in the future to minimise the risk of split gears on the Farish stock? Back in 2014 I stored the following items (all working perfectly before storage) and a number have split gears:

Farish Class 150\1 Provincial - split gears

Farish Class 150\2 Regional - split gears

Farish Class 101 Regional - ok

Farish Class 101 blue grey - ok

Farish HST - split gears

Farish Class 108 blue grey -split gears 

Farish Class 47 x4 - 1 has split gears

Not a good failure rate although I appreciate they have been stored for 7 years although this is in a store cupboard in a warm house and not in a garage or loft etc. I should also mention that Dapol stock mainly consisting of DMU's are all ok. Will acquire the gears and do the repairs although as I plan to store them for a period of time again after repair looking for any assistance as to how this could potentially be mitigated moving forward?

Unfortunately while much less common than in the past, it's still a failure that hasn't been totally eliminated.

Open out the holes when fitting new so the stress on the fit is less using a taper broach. Generally these seem over-tight and over stressed, and there seems a correlation between the split position and bubbles in the moulding (which will clearly weaken it). Seems very empirically common.

I've never had any re-splitting of gears when care is exercised on refitting them by opening out the holes. Fortunately, it seems Bachmann are now fitting all new models with white nylon gears, so hopefully this will finally eliminate the problem.

Time will tell!

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes I've had a similar experience 150s and 108s are particularly notorious. Farish really ought to have offered some form of recompense as this is a systemic known fault - instead we just get charged higher prices for the next run of Dmus and have to cross our fingers. 

On the plus side many good model shops have seen so many examples of split gears that they can easily replace and fix them - for a price of course. You can also do it yourself easily enough on most examples. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input, replaced the gears and the models are working well again. Will be putting them back in storage over the weekend so hopefully history will not be repeated!

I've just gone through a lot of stock to sell some of the older items and found several class 47s and a couple of class 66s with newly cracked cogs since checking them a couple of years ago. All are older Farish items (2000-2010) and have been kept in a central heated room so just mild cycling of heat day to night and in the dark. I dont think there is anything particularly you can do with storage environment and that it is just related to age and the quality of the original cog mouldings.

Ended up buying a pack of cogs and a pack of axles from Farish N Spares as I had 7 broken cogs.

Not sure we can yet say the newer ones are not going to have the problem until they are 15 years or more old. We can hope!

• RMweb Premium

Yes the newer ones have the same problem.  Two large logo Class 37's, the ScotRail Class 47/7 and a Class 101 DMU have all been back to Barwell for main works attention.

• RMweb Premium

I've got a 47 running with five powered axles having removed a split gear.

I don't think the problem's anywhere as bad as it used to be. Still room for improvement.

Interestingly, I've only had one steam loco suffer from a split gear - Poole era pannier tank that spent a week in a car in spring time with freezing temperatures over night and +10C during the day time.

Steven B.

• 3 weeks later...

I've suffered from a lot of split gears, including on A1s and A2s.

I'd cleared the backlog last year but after a year concentrating on building Bregenbach and upgrading NO PLACE to 100% sound and better couplings I'm dreading what happens at the start of September when I begin getting Croft Spa ready to go to Farnham show in October as nothing has moved in about 10 months..

Les