New Locolifts for OO & N

woodenhead

Guest Jack Benson

Finally tracked down a NOS Peco SL43 to use as a cassette once I have copied Paul’s modification and replaced the soft foam. I just needed one to as a device to turn the train (48DS and two short wagons) around on the micro.

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2021 at 19:05, ELTEL said:

A recent YouTube video produced by Peco gives a glimpse of product development on existing products and new products to be introduced in the future.

One such new product will be a new design of a Loco Lift

Definitely worth a watch…. 

Terry 

Here is link - flexi lift at 16 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpOxSb9Bh9A

Edited by zr2498
Time corrected - thanks scottystitch

• RMweb Premium

Speaking to the Peco rep at the Monk Bar Model Shop Peco event a few weeks back (where they had samples of the new modular loco lift on display) he said that in trials they’d successfully moved stock with four clipped together with no sign of the units coming apart.  

Certainly for N this sounds like a feasible mini-cassette system off the shelf. Just awaiting prices and availability now…

RT

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

That should read 16 minutes

Best

Scott.

Thanks for the correction. I have been having a 'bad day', especially dealing with the tax office.

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2021 at 10:41, col.stephens said:

I see that you are using Peco code 75 flat-bottom track.  I am using C&L code 75 bullhead track so this might be the problem in getting the loco-lift to sit properly.  I could never understand why Peco opted for foam sides.  Totally useless and usually replaced with something firmer by the users.

I think it is so that you can 'grip the Loco' with the lifting fingers; that's what I do!

P

• RMweb Premium

Geez. Just been looking at the DCC Concepts Lifts. What a price! I can get a Joiner to make me suitable lifts for 4 Coaches at a 1/4 that price at least and  3 Coaches for less again. OK more like Cassettes and not for running Loco's on and off, but blimey, the cost for DCC ones is staggering, however nice they may be. 

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Geez. Just been looking at the DCC Concepts Lifts. What a price! I can get a Joiner to make me suitable lifts for 4 Coaches at a 1/4 that price at least and  3 Coaches for less again. OK more like Cassettes and not for running Loco's on and off, but blimey, the cost for DCC ones is staggering, however nice they may be. 

P

And we haven't got the price for the new Peco lifts yet. Bet a lot more than the old SL-43's.

Don't think the new lifts clipped together will replace long cassettes but will be good for moving and storing Beyer Garretts for example.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I’m sticking with my TravelSafes that I can use for storage as well. 

Roy

I keep getting drawn back to considering the Travel Safe system - is there a UK stockist now?

i wouldn’t say, though, that it’s a case of Peco LocoLift OR Travel Safe. That would be a bit like saying I’ll stick to my Lexus because I can’t fit the family into a Smart Car. Horses for courses and all that :-)

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Typo
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, RichardT said:

I keep getting drawn back to considering the Travel Safe system - is there a UK stockist now?

i wouldn’t say, though, that it’s a case of Peco LocoLift OR Travel Safe. That would be a bit like saying I’ll stick to my Lexus because I can’t fit the family into a Smart Car. Horses for courses and all that :-)

Richard

Still no UK stockist but I have had no issues ordering from Germany, both pre- and post-Brexit. I have about eighty TravelSafes ranging from 30cm to 1.8m. I love just being able to plonk them down on an adaptor and drive stock off.

I will be ordering some more soon - the plan is to get all my stock in them in time. Original boxes will go into storage somewhere and the stock take up a lot less room and be easier to access.

I don't really see what the Peco LocoLift offers that the TravelSafe doesn't, whilst the TravelSafe offers a lot that the LocoLift does not - not sure how price will compare, but I expect it will be close. Likewise the DCC Concepts version is inferior to the TravelSafe for about the same cost and less if you wait for the fairly frequent 15% off deals that Train-Safe do.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Still no UK stockist but I have had no issues ordering from Germany, both pre- and post-Brexit. I have about eighty TravelSafes ranging from 30cm to 1.8m. I love just being able to plonk them down on an adaptor and drive stock off.

I will be ordering some more soon - the plan is to get all my stock in them in time. Original boxes will go into storage somewhere and the stock take up a lot less room and be easier to access.

I don't really see what the Peco LocoLift offers that the TravelSafe doesn't, whilst the TravelSafe offers a lot that the LocoLift does not - not sure how price will compare, but I expect it will be close. Likewise the DCC Concepts version is inferior to the TravelSafe for about the same cost and less if you wait for the fairly frequent 15% off deals that Train-Safe do.

Roy

Might consider the Trainsafe albeit expensive as these guys were a mighty task to make:

IMG_20160902_105043.jpg.08cbc3604e34efad021c091228269db5.jpg

Two sets (15 X 1.4m and 15 X 1.7m)

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Where do you get them from? Direct from the manufacturer, or from a retailer (I think Modellbahnshop Lippe sell them).

I go direct to the manufacturer - the have been very good. When I had a problem with one (no rails fitted) they sent a replacement and let me keep the bad one which I use to keep work in progress locos in.

Roy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

don't really see what the Peco LocoLift offers that the TravelSafe doesn't,

I guess with the new one the variable gauge which is useful to someone like me who has three different gauge exhibition layouts ;) I will just be able to set them up to the appropriate gauge rather than buy three sets. It’s also useful at home for the same reason when one is set up to play. 
I’ve got three of the long DCC concepts ones I got at half price, I agree the standard price is a bit off putting, but very useful for delicate locos like the BigBoy and the Bachmann MPV as their boxes mean they have to be split for storage otherwise. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

…very useful for delicate locos like the BigBoy and the Bachmann MPV as their boxes mean they have to be split for storage otherwise. 

That is what led me to get the TravelSafes, no need to handle stock or split units etc. 

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see DCC Concepts have gone up to 1680mm length (20mm shorter than the cassettes above)

image.png.9051becaea2372cb62d45c59656012b1.png

Similar price to Train Safe

image.png.f0deb9520737f36290c4ea2b8a0e883e.png

Better construction with Train Safe as rails included and can see what is inside. I guess the smaller Concepts MPD is good for moving locos from track and inverting for maintenance. We still do not have price from Peco.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2021 at 19:56, zr2498 said:

I see DCC Concepts have gone up to 1680mm length (20mm shorter than the cassettes above)

image.png.9051becaea2372cb62d45c59656012b1.png

Similar price to Train Safe

image.png.f0deb9520737f36290c4ea2b8a0e883e.png

Better construction with Train Safe as rails included and can see what is inside. I guess the smaller Concepts MPD is good for moving locos from track and inverting for maintenance. We still do not have price from Peco.

More info on Train Safe - look at https://shop.train-safe.de/en/TRAIN-SAFE-Vision/  in particular. €153 for one at 1650mm long.

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

They really need end stops at some length IMO - I would have thought it should have been relatively easy for DCC Concepts to provide for such,

It’s quite easy to make them out of a rectangle of plastic if you just cut out slots to sit over the sides. I’ve done it on all mine. 

E9F5FD84-4067-45B6-836B-93871105EC5F.jpeg.632f9bbfef6e5d97e1b3a73d9b97ee34.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

@Roy Langridge Nothing like a recommendation from someone using this stuff so thanks for sharing. However specifically which ones do you have the clear, pure travel and what is the gauge I need to work with Peco 75.  I have a Raqpido apt-e, a Bachmann crane and other fragile stuff to protect.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, deepfat said:

@Roy Langridge Nothing like a recommendation from someone using this stuff so thanks for sharing. However specifically which ones do you have the clear, pure travel and what is the gauge I need to work with Peco 75.  I have a Raqpido apt-e, a Bachmann crane and other fragile stuff to protect.

I use the travel variant and the H02L gauge offering. See https://shop.train-safe.de/en/HO/Gauge/H02L/Travel/TRAIN-SAFE-Travel-Gauge-H0.html, These have been good for me with any OO gauge stock from Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan, Dapol etc. The foam insert holds the stock firmly without causing any damage itself.

They are white and used to have red ends but now come with clear ends:

2123831454_Train-SafeTravel.jpg.147ffc2d8b78c0e1e7bd59a117325c42.jpg

The labels are not included, they are just somthing I have added.

Hope that helps.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2021 at 11:22, Roy Langridge said:

I use the travel variant and the H02L gauge offering. See https://shop.train-safe.de/en/HO/Gauge/H02L/Travel/TRAIN-SAFE-Travel-Gauge-H0.html, These have been good for me with any OO gauge stock from Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan, Dapol etc. The foam insert holds the stock firmly without causing any damage itself.

They are white and used to have red ends but now come with clear ends:

2123831454_Train-SafeTravel.jpg.147ffc2d8b78c0e1e7bd59a117325c42.jpg

The labels are not included, they are just somthing I have added.

Hope that helps.

Roy

Roy

They look great and there is currently the 15% off until 3rd Jan. My only concern is the grade of foam used. Is it the non degrading type.