New Locolifts for OO & N

woodenhead

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, scottystitch said:

I've probably missed it, but is there a length quoted for the new peco lifts? I can't find it on the rails splurge...

Best

Scott.

No, unusually for Peco they do not seem to have provided basic information such as how long these are, in cm or even inches, but merely say that a single unit will accept an OO 0-6-0T or a N scale pacific.  Are they trying to hide the fact that the basic single unit is much shorter than the old loco-lift?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

Are they trying to hide the fact that the basic single unit is much shorter than the old loco-lift?

Hardly hiding anything when they’ve published photos plus said a single one will take a tank loco and a double is required for a tender loco! 
:) 

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Hardly hiding anything when they’ve published photos plus said a single one will take a tank loco and a double is required for a tender loco! 
:) 

Yes, not totally hidden but not as helpful or clear as it could be.  A Bemo ABe 4/4 III is 196mm long - will that fit on a single unit?  What about a 168 mm ABe 4/4 I? If Peco gave an actual track length,  I would know, rather than having to guess from working out the length of a N gauge diesel and guessing how tight the fit from a picture.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Yes, not totally hidden but not as helpful or clear as it could be.  A Bemo ABe 4/4 III is 196mm long - will that fit on a single unit?  What about a 168 mm ABe 4/4 I? If Peco gave an actual track length,  I would know, rather than having to guess from working out the length of a N gauge diesel and guessing how tight the fit from a picture.

I’ve pinged their designer a message via another forum and I’m sure he will share if allowed to by the publicity dept.  :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That was well timed he was online!

They are 6 inches long with open ends and approx 5 inches with the end doors in if using it for storage.

So, working on the principle that if you join two together they will be an average of 5.5 inches each, it is touch and go whether you would get a class 40 in one, and a Deltic / 66 etc. would be a no go.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

So, working on the principle that if you join two together they will be an average of 5.5 inches each, it is touch and go whether you would get a class 40 in one, and a Deltic / 66 etc. would be a no go.

Roy

Agreed. A Farish class 40 is quoted as (145mm) 5.708" (I don't know if that includes length of couplings) which suggests, for storage with the ends on at least, the loco lift will be too short...

Best

Scott.

9 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Agreed. A Farish class 40 is quoted as (145mm) 5.708" (I don't know if that includes length of couplings) which suggests, for storage with the ends on at least, the loco lift will be too short...

Best

Scott.

How very unfortunate, you’d think they would take a typical loco be it steam or diesel in N.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Am I the only one who thinks Loco Lift is a misleading name? I now learn you have to run the loco onto the thing, rather than simply lowering the Lift onto the rails and squeezing. Misleading, and a very great deal less use.

Didn't you also have to run the loco onto the old-style loco lift with squeezy sides?

Richard T

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Am I the only one who thinks Loco Lift is a misleading name? I now learn you have to run the loco onto the thing, rather than simply lowering the Lift onto the rails and squeezing. Misleading, and a very great deal less use.

Think of it like a normal lift, you have to walk into those first ;) 

Or the Anderton boat lift. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Think of it like a normal lift, you have to walk into those first ;) 

Or the Anderton boat lift. 

I can see it has cassette-style advantages for layouts, particularly exhibition layouts, where those are or would be used. But for layouts where some of the fiddle yard is a dead end, it does not provide the opportunity to lift and reverse a loco I had hoped for, unless previously placed in situ. I tend to run a sequence of trains, with cctv to guide me on fiddle yard stopping points, then duck under to the yard to reset things. Never mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I tend to run a sequence of trains, with cctv to guide me on fiddle yard stopping points, then duck under to the yard to reset things. Never mind.

I think the only way you could make that work would be for the dead-end siding to be a loco length longer (actually slightly longer still) than it otherwise needed to be. You could then rock up to the siding, place the lift, uncouple the locomotive and drive it on.

That doesn't help if the existing sidings are already sized to fit, or there is and/or there is no scope to extend them.

For my part I think I will purchase one and see for myself, in the flesh, so to speak.

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, scottystitch said:

For my part I think I will purchase one and see for myself, in the flesh, so to speak.

Yep. Can’t beat real-world experimentation.  Just ordered a double set from my favoured pusher to see how they work for N in practice.

Richard T

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2021 at 13:14, zr2498 said:

Roy

They look great and there is currently the 15% off until 3rd Jan. My only concern is the grade of foam used. Is it the non degrading type.

The company has existed since 1994 and I have not seen any complaints about the foam used. My oldest ones ae 4 years old, they show no signs of degradation but then at that age I would hope not!.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/12/2021 at 19:49, Butler Henderson said:

Video seems to confirm the lengths quoted by Hattons of 150mm / 300mm

A Farish class 40 is 153mm over the couplings, so they should just fit and no more, ditto a Pacific.

Best

Scott.