Coupling by computer [video]

jamespetts

Nice work James, very impressive.

I'm not familiar with that software, I need to have a look at it. Did you have to do much work to get that functionality? Is it built in or did you have to write scripts, for example?

Are you modelling a location or is it freelance?

Thanks,

John.

• Like 1

Thank you!

TrainController is quite well known, albeit these days quite expensive, automation software, dating originally from the 1990s, I believe, although it has been updated many times since, the most recent version being from either 2017 or 2018.

One does not need to write scripts to get this to work; it is relatively simple in principle, but there is still a non-trivial amount of work to do to get everything set up for this to work, especially on a larger layout.

The layout in question is not a real location, but it is based on a portmanteau of two real locations, Oxford and Didcot, and set in 1989.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andymsa said:

Great use of the program. But hearing the actual processes to achieve this would be useful although specific to your layout it would give users a good foundation to design there own.

Much of this has been covered in two earlier videos, "Wires under the Baseboards" and "Timetabled Working".

Edited by jamespetts

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2021 at 17:59, Grimly Feendish said:

Nice work James, very impressive.

I'm not familiar with that software, I need to have a look at it. Did you have to do much work to get that functionality? Is it built in or did you have to write scripts, for example?

Although very powerful software I’d think carefully before buying it. It’s a one man band, and the proprietor is verging on unhinged. I’d not give him one penny of my money, purely on principle. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Andymsa said:

It would be good to see the structure behind this, ie was it schedules following each other or use of macros. How about uploading the yrr file so we can follow things on the video.

Here is the file as requested.