Plywood Board 4'x2' for n gauge, Generic questions

Hi all,

I have a 4'x2' board that i am going to use for N gauge, however i have come to a few ruts:

• I wanted double track running, but judging by my calculations, i won't be able to have 2nd and third radii continuous runs like i first hoped.

• secondly, how would i do the fiddle yard 'behind the scenes', would i require lots of cross-overs?

• thirdly, whats the best height for the layout, i (hopefully) intend that i will be on the exhibition circuit with it, so i need a position which is easy on my back (being 6foot 4inch tall) and also a good height for the punters.

• Lastly, i have decided to stick with DC as my method of control for various reasons, please do not turn this topic into a rant about why im not DCC, but can someone recommend me make/model of controller suitable for my purposes in DC?

Many thanks in advance,

Bruce :)

Hi,

Firstly a 2ft wide board is enough to ease out the radius of the curves, depends if your using setrack or flexible, as for a fiddle yard, 4 ft isn't a great length to have a vast expanse of loops, with setrack points you could probably have at least two loops of a reasonable size (depends what trains your looking to run?) height wise i would set it at what you are comfortable working at. and for control i've always stuck with gaugemaster but there are plenty of others i'm sure that are equally good.

Graham.

Archived